Sponsored

Would you buy Ecoboost if Ford offered V6 Premium?

Would you buy an Ecoboost (Premium or not) if Ford offered V6 Premium at $27,800 USD?

• Yes

Votes: 51 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 61.1%

• Total voters

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
To be very frank yes... i have EB... but if V6 premium was der.. i would have got that...
I love EB .. its fun... but V6 does have charm of its own
Sponsored

E.jaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB V6 AT51a 3.55 ... Bullitt ordered
A V6.... if not a GT.

I don't see a 2.3 on a "muscle car"
But I understand that it runs well, funny and it's easy to tune.
I wish I had as many tunes for the V6, but 300Hp are enough for me now.
Just missing some extra exhaust sound.

I know this Ecoboost engine, actually is built in Spain (my home country), but like some japanese engines, tuning a 2.X turbo can be risky, and in anycase we won't now have good are they until we see first owners approaching 100k miles.

I'm planning to bring my V6 back to Spain in a couple years and I will be a lucky driver of a V6 in Europe... of course, if I don't upgrade to a GT ;)

In any case I love the car.... no matter which engine or trim

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
A V6.... if not a GT.

How is a 300/280 V6 any more than a muscle car than the 310/320 EB? Because it has two additional cylinders? Only the 2.3l has ever been considered a performance car by Ford. Every six cylinder has been a base model, only the 4 has been elevated to performance status through the SVO.

The only time the V6 has come close is with the performance/track pack on the S197, but that didn't affect power.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
A V6.... if not a GT.

But I understand that it runs well, funny and it's easy to tune.
I wish I had as many tunes for the V6, but 300Hp are enough for me now.
Just missing some extra exhaust sound.

I know this Ecoboost engine, actually is built in Spain (my home country), but like some japanese engines, tuning a 2.X turbo can be risky, and in anycase we won't now have good are they until we see first owners approaching 100k miles.

I'm planning to bring my V6 back to Spain in a couple years and I will be a lucky driver of a V6 in Europe... of course, if I don't upgrade to a GT ;)

In any case I love the car.... no matter which engine or trim

There are a ton of EBs that have made it well past 100k miles in the F150s, taurus' and fusions. The engine is already well proven, maybe not as proven as the V6 but it built to be able to handle far more than it is tuned for from the factory.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a fan of the naturally aspirated engine as well.

If a Premium V6 with PP were available, I'd get that over the equivalent EB version. Mostly because I like the linear power and sound of the V6 over the EB4. I realize the performance and economy advantage goes to the EB4, but the sound and feel advantage (for me) goes to the V6, and since the performance is pretty close, I'd choose V6.

Of course the EB aftermarket is going to be crazy, and a modified EB is going to be amazingly powerful, so I'm definitely not against the EB, and totally uderstand why others would prefer it.

Overall though, I'd go for the GT just to get that V8 engine.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

-T
This.

Also the real world FE isn't that far apart, with early indications from the various MPGs threads showing a 1-2 mpg advantage to the EB.

I respect and understand the EB, I just don't particularly want one. If it weren't for the performance pack availability over the V6, I'd have long ago decided against it.

Sponsored

E.jaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is a 300/280 V6 any more than a muscle car than the 310/320 EB? Because it has two additional cylinders? Only the 2.3l has ever been considered a performance car by Ford. Every six cylinder has been a base model, only the 4 has been elevated to performance status through the SVO.

The only time the V6 has come close is with the performance/track pack on the S197, but that didn't affect power.
For me (and it's just my PoV), the Ecoboost engine architecture is closer to a Japanese turbo engine than to a wonderful US big engine.

Do you see a Mitsubishi or Subaru 300+ hp as muscle cars?

Maybe I'm wrong.

E.jaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a ton of EBs that have made it well past 100k miles in the F150s, taurus' and fusions. The engine is already well proven, maybe not as proven as the V6 but it built to be able to handle far more than it is tuned for from the factory.
Same 2.3 engine with same HP and tuned?
If it is the case, great for Ford and the EB. I just was missing data.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Same 2.3 engine with same HP and tuned?
If it is the case, great for Ford and the EB. I just was missing data.
It's clearly not the exact same but it is the same designer/architecture with stronger internals and different displacement. As for the whole oh how can it be a muscle car thing, what is special about being the technical definition of a muscle car if it's slower than a car that isn't??

WEIGHT ROOM

Ford is evolving the mustang for the future, thats why it does't look anywhere near as retro as the s197, if at all

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
For me (and it's just my PoV), the Ecoboost engine architecture is closer to a Japanese turbo engine than to a wonderful US big engine.

Do you see a Mitsubishi or Subaru 300+ hp as muscle cars?

Maybe I'm wrong.
Except, these great V8 engines are OHC designs and not the traditional push-rod design of those big glorious engines of the past. Does that make it any lesser in your opinion? There were a ton of people upset when the OHC 8's replaced the older 5.0 pushrod engines. I never understood why, but just as you've done, they got hung up on a specific tech & design that pushed their cars.

Additionally, Mustangs have had Turbos in the past (and were considered performance cars even then. Just because your history with the car is more recent, doesn't mean the history is as limited as you think.

The Mustang SVO was a limited-production version of the Ford Mustang sold from 1984 to 1986, during which time it was the fastest, most expensive version of the Mustang available. Although it departed both physically and mechanically from any prior version of the Mustang, it held the same spot within the lineup, both in terms of performance over "lesser" variants and in prestige, as had variants such as the Shelby tuned and "BOSS" Mustangs of the 1960s and 1970s.
And surprise - it ran a 2.3L TurboCharged 4 cylinder engine. :) The history of this car runs deeper than you think. The new V6 and V8's share more in design with newer engines from all over the world then they do with the older V8's powering the mustangs of the past.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
as someone said above... power varies .. v8 , EB v6....

But whenever i see a mustang...i feel awesome... be it GT EB or even older mustangs..

Like new ones are evolved ones have more aggressive stance

08-14 model had that masculine touch.

Every mustang is special.

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
I didn't realize people were actually passing up their preferred engine choice for premium. Here I am sitting here wondering whether or not I should have splurged on the clothe recaros just so I could ditch the motors in the seats.

OP
OP

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
I didn't realize people were actually passing up their preferred engine choice for premium. Here I am sitting here wondering whether or not I should have splurged on the clothe recaros just so I could ditch the motors in the seats.
Different lifestyles. :)

There is nothing wrong with wanting to drive with a bit of luxury, especially in this day and age. On the other hand, some people would be happy just hearing the roar of that V8, regardless of other features. Others may put more value on the luxury features depending on their lifestyle.

The beauty of Mustang and other cars in its class is that not only is a really high performance car, but it's also practical for a daily driver. It's a balance between performance, practicality, affordability, and now luxury too. It's not hard to imagine people favouring different points in that spectrum.

E.jaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except, these great V8 engines are OHC designs and not the traditional push-rod design of those big glorious engines of the past. Does that make it any lesser in your opinion? ...

... Just because your history with the car is more recent, doesn't mean the history is as limited as you think...

... The history of this car runs deeper than you think. ...
I really appreciate your input... and It's interesting.
I agree that my US car history is recent and limited... And in fact I'm an Alfa Romeo lover

I came to the US with the Mustang GT on mind... but a big part of my budget went away with an Explorer Limited (Family first... ) so I had to decide between EB or V6.
First car I saw was an EB but I was disappointed cos I was not expecting a turbo engine on this car... so I went directly to the V6, and by now just missing the drive modes.

In anycase, don't feel upset about my comments, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about these cars... and as many stated:
No matter which engine, the new Mustang is really nice.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I really appreciate your input... and It's interesting.
I agree that my US car history is recent and limited... And in fact I'm an Alfa Romeo lover

I came to the US with the Mustang GT on mind... but a big part of my budget went away with an Explorer Limited (Family first... ) so I had to decide between EB or V6.
First car I saw was an EB but I was disappointed cos I was not expecting a turbo engine on this car... so I went directly to the V6, and by now just missing the drive modes.

In anycase, don't feel upset about my comments, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about these cars... and as many stated:
No matter which engine, the new Mustang is really nice.
Not upset at all, I just think knowing a history of the car helps one in understanding where the car's been and where it could go. While a high performance V8 has always been a part of that, there have been many other engines have been as well. (In fact a 6 cyc wasn't even offered for ~7 years in the 80's and early 90's). :cheers:
Sponsored