Sponsored

Worth Pursuing Bumper Replacement at Dealer?

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Long story short, I had a horrific experience at a dealer in Virginia purchasing my brand new 2017 Mustang GT. Well yesterday when I was replacing my paper temp tags with another set of paper temp tags (they literally sent out my DMV paperwork to the DMV on day 32 of the 30 day temp tags......like I said, horrific experience), I noticed the following when pulling the rear paper tag off. Someone screwed in 3 extra random holes in the rear bumper when attaching some sort of plate, as compared to just attaching the plate to the proper mounting boss......

Worth complaining enough to make them replace the bumper? It's not like this was the only issue. I had numerous issues with the dealer anyhow but this is the only thing that would cost them actual $$.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you can't see them with plate on, it's not worth the hassle. They would have to paint the new bumper and if the color doesn't match, you have a bigger problem.

OP
OP

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
If you can't see them with plate on, it's not worth the hassle. They would have to paint the new bumper and if the color doesn't match, you have a bigger problem.
True. Or maybe have them give me some sort of compensation for it. I am fuming about everything else that happened. So this was icing on the cake.

CNTLOSE

It is what it is...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/PP
I would definitely bring it to their attention. See if you can get some free touch-up paint or something out of it. Sucks to have a bad experience when buying a new car.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
WTF? "The screw I have doesn't fit, so I'll just drill a few random holes." Idiots.

Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Damn man. Genius at large I guess. That's a shame. You're having a rough time with this car already

OP
OP

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
WTF? "The screw I have doesn't fit, so I'll just drill a few random holes." Idiots.
The worst part, and any ford tech that does pre delivery inspections can correct me if im wrong, but when I was a tech at Honda and did theirs, the rear tag screws already came screwed into the mounting boss. You just zipped them out, put tag on, and then tightened back down. Its not like you had to find screws that fit or something. :doh:

OP
OP

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Damn man. So not only did they replace the bumper on the car, they screwed holes and messed the rest of it up. Genius at large I guess. That's a shame. You're having a rough time with this car already
I didn't have the bumper replaced. If you are referring to your other thread I was having that dash popping noise when there was temp changes in the cabin. Ugh. :headbonk:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I always say pick your battles. Hidden damage I would stick rubber plugs in to keep the plate from rubbing the paint.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I didn't have the bumper replaced. If you are referring to your other thread I was having that dash popping noise when there was temp changes in the cabin. Ugh. :headbonk:
You and another dudes names are really close haha. But still. Thats terrible. Im super fortunate my cars been rock solid.

Sponsored

ccredbaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium w/PP
I think I know why they drilled the other lower holes. When I got my permanent license plate, I had already purchase a nice frame for it. BUT the thicker upper potion of the frame would not allow the screw holes to line up, so I returned the frame and found a thinner one that worked great. So I'm guessing your dealership has the thicker type frames that won't work on the Mustang.
If I was you, I'd get the proper frame, push a few of those plastic/rubber clips into the extra holes and call it good!

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The worst part, and any ford tech that does pre delivery inspections can correct me if im wrong, but when I was a tech at Honda and did theirs, the rear tag screws already came screwed into the mounting boss. You just zipped them out, put tag on, and then tightened back down. Its not like you had to find screws that fit or something. :doh:

This is wrong, at least in my experience. When I bought my '15 the salesman brought out a bag of screws and installed the plate using two screws from the newly opened bag before taking the car to fill it with gas.

Sadly, when he got out of the car back at the dealership the bag of bolts fell out of his pocket onto the door sill plate. When he slammed the door closed the bag of screws gouged the sill plate and dented the bottom inside of the door. I only know how/when the damage occurred because I was the next one to open the car door, and the bag fell out onto my foot.

They replaced the sill plate and put some touch up paint on the door. I still have the bag of screws.

OP
OP

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Small update.

Talked to the dealership in length about all of the issues I had when it came to the purchase experience, titling problems and then this license plate hole deal. I am an easy going guy, I am not your typical, 'let me speak to your manager' complainer. But it got excessive with how I was treated. Anyhow, the general manager was basically embarrassed when I told him all of it. The customer service manager called me today and it looks like they are going to order me a brand new bumper and replace it. He is almost positive that they come prepainted from Ford. And I am going to request that I keep this bumper (just in case I need it or down the road if someone where to want to buy one used.)

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Small update.

Talked to the dealership in length about all of the issues I had when it came to the purchase experience, titling problems and then this license plate hole deal. I am an easy going guy, I am not your typical, 'let me speak to your manager' complainer. But it got excessive with how I was treated. Anyhow, the general manager was basically embarrassed when I told him all of it. The customer service manager called me today and it looks like they are going to order me a brand new bumper and replace it. He is almost positive that they come prepainted from Ford. And I am going to request that I keep this bumper (just in case I need it or down the road if someone where to want to buy one used.)
Incorrect sir. It's painted on site at the dealer. Ford does not offer very many, if any at all, prepainted parts anymore. Fathers a parts manager of 33 years at Ford. I still help him with his inventory on off days.

OP
OP

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Incorrect sir. It's painted on site at the dealer. Ford does not offer very many, if any at all, prepainted parts anymore. Fathers a parts manager of 33 years at Ford. I still help him with his inventory on off days.
Ah gotcha. Well looks like they are having someone paint it, and I will be nitpicking the shit out of it.
Sponsored