Sponsored

Worst Mustang or Worst Car ever built ?

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Or by an $18,000 Corolla. Seriously, why can Toyota/Honda get perfect panel alignment on their cheapest car and others seem to have such a hard time? Is there that much magic involved?
True, I hate to say that but every Toyota that I have owned over the last 20 years was perfect.
Sponsored

LightningBlueGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I’ve got 450 miles on mine and today I finally got my first rattle. Came to life after driving on some rough pavement yesterday. It seems to be coming from under the plastic along the rear window on the drivers side. Every bump. I’ll chase it down soon enough.

I’ve owned one other ford (hated that POS) and it was garbage rattle-wise, so I expected a rattle or two. My Camry with 100,000 miles on it has no rattles and has never had a major issue, but driving that thing after buying my mustang is like driving a wet paper bag.

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
Want perfection? Prepare to spend A loT of greenbacks.
You don't have to spend a lot of greenbacks. My brother showed up yesterday with a new black Hyundai Elantra Turbo. The panels, gaps and paint on that car are fantastic. I saw this thread, then went out and looked at my wife's 2017 Nissan Rogue. Not a panel out of place and gaps are near perfect. Japanese and Korean cars are head and shoulders ahead of our beloved Mustangs.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRZjlUeVdiSnNNbU9KaHAydkZlU0Q3YkQ4NDRj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRT2ljNGNjSWRSdkt5Mk54VjRBNDdjOXJuQVU4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRVmZlazIzU1RodXUyNkN1SGViTTV6aUFHZl9j

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRV2pIRTFEZ1ZwZzdiS2w3ODZCYi0ySTZJUURF

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRekNkMFYwa21FV2tNOXhQUGtWUXRneTFsTG4w

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRdU43UlB1Vnc1eXBaQUVRSkNTTnVYUDdjeXNz

So, I never thought I would say this about Mustang, but I'm really kicking myself for buying a 40K + car with such a poor build quality, please tell me these unaligned panels are unacceptable :(

It's not just the panel alignment issues, I can't even tell you how bad the interior rattles are, there's a constant noise coming from air vents on the passenger side the moment I start cruising in 45+ mph. And the fun doesn't stop there, the moment the roads get a very little bumpy everything in the car rattles, the dash the doors, I wouldn't even be surprised if something falls off someday while driving on not 100% perfect roads.

I wonder if there is a thing called quality control at Ford ?:doh: Who ever worked on building and assembling my mustang deserve to be fired.

I'm going to stop my ranting now and ask the actual question for posting this .. So, what are the chances of getting all these things fixed at a dealership ?

P.S - I can't go to the actual dealership I bought this vehicle from because I got this vehicle from out of state (I can't believe I drove 1000 miles to and fro to buy this 40K crap :frusty:)
I am really sorry to hear you are having such tough luck with your car.

I have a 2018 GT as well and the only rattle I experienced and resolved was coming from the driver side A pillar. The rattle you hear from the passenger side vent could be the A pill tweeter making a buzzing sound as if there is a paper clip stuck there. What I would recommend is to take off the plastic grill (it comes off using your finger nail) and push against the tweeter while someone else drives or you drive and have someone else push on the tweeter. Your rattle will go away if that is the source. In this case, use some felt material and stuff it around the tweeters edge and that will get rid of it for good.

As for the panel alignment, take it to the dealer and if they cannot resolve it, take it to a reputable body shop and have them fix these issues. I know, a new car should not be having these issues and to everyone here saying is a mass produced car etc, sorry that just a BS excuse because I have driven base Altimas, Accords, Camrys, Corollas and I have not experienced any of the body panel issues or rattles. I have a 2010 Infinit G37 sedan that has zero issues and cost 40K when new. Why cant Ford make a 40K car that is free of these silly issues? :frusty:

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
BS. One of my friends and my wife's cousin each have 2018 Honda Civics and their body panels, doors, bumpers are waaayy worse than my Mustang. Both have saggy rear bumpers, hoods misaligned and door gaps and trunk gaps are big enough to fit your pinky in between.

I am really picky about panel gaps, I can spot them on any car at any time. Probably the worst are Teslas but all manufacturers have good batches and bad batches.
Yea that’s simply not true. I drove my new gt to a Honda dealership this past Sunday looking at a new accord for my mom, I specifically looked at panel alignment because I know how subpar the panel alignment has been on both my s550’s. I checked out over a dozen cars and they all were worlds better than what ford is putting out. When I get home I’ll post pics of my panel issues on my 18. I still love the car but ford really need to do better.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
BS. One of my friends and my wife's cousin each have 2018 Honda Civics and their body panels, doors, bumpers are waaayy worse than my Mustang. Both have saggy rear bumpers, hoods misaligned and door gaps and trunk gaps are big enough to fit your pinky in between.

I am really picky about panel gaps, I can spot them on any car at any time. Probably the worst are Teslas but all manufacturers have good batches and bad batches.
Please provide pictures as proof because I don't think I've ever seen a Civic with bad panel alignment. When I noticed my S550s panel issues like the trunk misalignment, I specifically started looking for it in other makes and models. Even Kias and Hyundais have better alignment for the most part.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Or by an $18,000 Corolla. Seriously, why can Toyota/Honda get perfect panel alignment on their cheapest car and others seem to have such a hard time? Is there that much magic involved?
The panel fit on my GT350 didn't bother me at all, till I bought a new Porsche. Seeing the Porsche right next to the Shelby in the garage made it pretty obvious how bad the Ford is. :D

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
"Rattle and squeak" type problems drive me batty because they are a constant reminder of poor quality (although some are intermittent), and they are so difficult to trace and fix that most dealerships aren't very good at it (or don't even want to try). I can tolerate some flaws in the panel fit, because while at least while I'm driving I can't see those.

My 2011 Mustang has been surprisingly decent on rattles and squeaks, although it has a couple. I was hoping Ford had finally put enough emphasis on quality to make interior rattles and squeaks a thing of the past, but maybe they got lazy or cheap again.

The hell of it is that most competing cars in the pony car segment have overall quality that's no better, and probably worse--look at Chevy and Dodge forums and you'll find a litany of complaints over various issues ranging from transmissions, infotainment systems, funny noises, HVAC, etc. It seems like automotive product development doesn't include nearly enough pre-production durability testing and rework, they just dump unfinished products on the market. And they don't monitor or enforce quality standards tightly enough on parts from 3rd-party suppliers.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
"Rattle and squeak" type problems drive me batty because they are a constant reminder of poor quality (although some are intermittent), and they are so difficult to trace and fix that most dealerships aren't very good at it (or don't even want to try). I can tolerate some flaws in the panel fit, because while at least while I'm driving I can't see those.

My 2011 Mustang has been surprisingly decent on rattles and squeaks, although it has a couple. I was hoping Ford had finally put enough emphasis on quality to make interior rattles and squeaks a thing of the past, but maybe they got lazy or cheap again.

The hell of it is that most competing cars in the pony car segment have overall quality that's no better, and probably worse--look at Chevy and Dodge forums and you'll find a litany of complaints over various issues ranging from transmissions, infotainment systems, funny noises, HVAC, etc. It seems like automotive product development doesn't include nearly enough pre-production durability testing and rework, they just dump unfinished products on the market. And they don't monitor or enforce quality standards tightly enough on parts from 3rd-party suppliers.
One can hope and wish that the Japanese automakers can see the issues with domestic vehicles and make a competitor with NA V8, Mustang/Camaro type coupe body, for around the same price but with all these issues resolved. I can only imagine how many of us Mustang/Camaro folks would jump into those vehicles knowing they come with the reliability and customer care not found in domestic vehicles.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRZjlUeVdiSnNNbU9KaHAydkZlU0Q3YkQ4NDRj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRT2ljNGNjSWRSdkt5Mk54VjRBNDdjOXJuQVU4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRVmZlazIzU1RodXUyNkN1SGViTTV6aUFHZl9j

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRV2pIRTFEZ1ZwZzdiS2w3ODZCYi0ySTZJUURF

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRekNkMFYwa21FV2tNOXhQUGtWUXRneTFsTG4w

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2sF868Uv2tRdU43UlB1Vnc1eXBaQUVRSkNTTnVYUDdjeXNz

So, I never thought I would say this about Mustang, but I'm really kicking myself for buying a 40K + car with such a poor build quality, please tell me these unaligned panels are unacceptable :(

It's not just the panel alignment issues, I can't even tell you how bad the interior rattles are, there's a constant noise coming from air vents on the passenger side the moment I start cruising in 45+ mph. And the fun doesn't stop there, the moment the roads get a very little bumpy everything in the car rattles, the dash the doors, I wouldn't even be surprised if something falls off someday while driving on not 100% perfect roads.

I wonder if there is a thing called quality control at Ford ?:doh: Who ever worked on building and assembling my mustang deserve to be fired.

I'm going to stop my ranting now and ask the actual question for posting this .. So, what are the chances of getting all these things fixed at a dealership ?

P.S - I can't go to the actual dealership I bought this vehicle from because I got this vehicle from out of state (I can't believe I drove 1000 miles to and fro to buy this 40K crap :frusty:)
I have a friend with an E63 that cost a ton of money, his rattles, the passenger door leaked and he has creaks in the console.

My father bought a new Lexus a few years back, the big LS and that thing was a pile of crap, are all Mercedes junk, how about Lexus?

My question is why buy a car with such bad fitment issues?? I went over mine from top to bottom before signing anything. As for the rattles, this (OP) car sounds like it may have been hit or something and repaired (I use that word loosely), I've never had a car with that many areas of rattles before. My Mustang had a loose tweeter in the right a-pillar which was easy to fix.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Please provide pictures as proof because I don't think I've ever seen a Civic with bad panel alignment. When I noticed my S550s panel issues like the trunk misalignment, I specifically started looking for it in other makes and models. Even Kias and Hyundais have better alignment for the most part.
Yeah I haven't seen that either and I know several people with Japanese cars. My girlfriend's 2016 Civic has no rattles, panel gaps, or any issues whatsoever with 50k miles.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
My father bought a new Lexus a few years back, the big LS and that thing was a pile of crap, are all Mercedes junk, how about Lexus?
Lexus? Nah

Mercedes? Debatable

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Trunk misalignment is easy to fix. There's two bolts at the end of the hinges closest to the rear windshield. Just tighten to loosen to lower or raise your trunk lid. This was the only misaligned panel on my car. Doors and hood are great. My car was a special order and I read somewhere in the ordering thread that Ford may be a little more strict with QC on special orders. Before you guys bought your cars why didn't you look it over?

The car is great, maybe I just got lucky with the labor force that week. I'll get pics of the Honda's when I get the chance.
My trunk alignment was slightly low on the passenger side. When I went to adjust it, I realized that it was hitting both tail lights and that the decklid was hitting the rear bumper. These only show after constant use of the car. When I brought it to the dealer, they decided to fix it under warranty.

They repainted my rear bumper and they said that when they tried to close the trunk, it was still contacting it. So then they said that they had to reshape the trunk. Ok, they did that and repainted the trunk bumper and they had to now blend it with the rear quarter panels. The paint job was absolute shit and I brought it back 3 times due to runs and solvent pop. I asked the regional service advisor if I can take it somewhere else to get it fixed. They said that I couldn't because Ford had already paid that bodyshop and that I'd have to bring it back until it was to my satisfaction.

This was already pushing a month without my car because of how many times they repainted it. After the 4th time, it was still crappy work and I went and traded the stupid car in the next day. I got a Charger Scat Pack which is just as notorious for having awful panel fitment. I was picky and found the one which was 99% perfect. I adjusted the bumper myself and now it's 100% perfect.

Ford needs to get their shit together with quality control. It's easy to say that the forum brings out the most complaints, but look at other Mustangs on the road. I'm sure you'll find a misaligned rear decklid everywhere. Even my gf has started to point them out every time we're behind an S550.

TheKHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. As many have mentioned, the gaps can be mostly fixed at a dealer or professional shop, as well as you can give them a go if you know what you are doing.

As far as rattles, they drive me nuts and I have been chasing them down for over a year now. My honest opinion, get used to them because when they fix one rattle, they cause another. It becomes endless.

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
The gaps/misaligned panels bugged me at 1 point also but I totally ignore it now.

It made me look at other cars on the road and I'll tell you what, there are a lot!

Pay attention to newer Toyota's..especially Camry's. Look at their rear end trunk/quarter panel. Also newer Honda and Nissan SUV's. The Trunk never appears to be in dead center but either about to touch the left or right tail light. Tesla is also known for this. Newer Challengers have the tail lights misaligned for ages now (Hellcats as well), the 18' Camaro SS has their hood misaligned, etc etc. I'm sure if you search other car forums you will find a load of misaligned problems. Since we're on topic, even my Japanese made SUV has 2 misaligned panels. Nowadays I feel like it's all about sales. They push these mass produced vehicles out the factory without 100% quality control.
Sponsored