Sponsored

Working under vehicle ramps?

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I'm in an apartment for a few more months, but I do have a garage. I've seen some people say they were able to install cat back exhaust on ramps, etc... but looking around I just don't see where there's comfortable clearance to do that?

There's a rent-a-garage place nearby that will let you use a lift for $20/hr. I have most of the tools already so no issue either way, but obviously it's less of an issue to just be able to put time in it whenever instead of scheduling an open bay.

Anyone have any feedback on this?
Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I did mine with the rear wheels on a set of RaceRamps and I'm im not exactly skinny, not even close. There's a ton of clearance at the rear where you need it most and enough at the center to get the four bolts loose, clamp off/loose and h/x pipe back on.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I would just pay the 20 for lift and knock it out in 45 min.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I would just pay the 20 for lift and knock it out in 45 min.
Absolutely...if you have a way to get the stock exhaust back home if you plan on keeping it.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I did mine with the rear wheels on a set of RaceRamps and I'm im not exactly skinny, not even close. There's a ton of clearance at the rear where you need it most and enough at the center to get the four bolts loose, clamp off/loose and h/x pipe back on.
I did mine the same way and had no issues

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm in an apartment for a few more months, but I do have a garage. I've seen some people say they were able to install cat back exhaust on ramps, etc... but looking around I just don't see where there's comfortable clearance to do that?

There's a rent-a-garage place nearby that will let you use a lift for $20/hr. I have most of the tools already so no issue either way, but obviously it's less of an issue to just be able to put time in it whenever instead of scheduling an open bay.

Unless you're blessed with unusually long arms, ramps and jackstands will provide enough clearance for you. In some cases there may not be quite enough room to work the bent end of a long pipe over the axle, but there's a work-around for that if you can bear to cut and weld something that nobody's going to see anyway. Or you can build your own ramps that get that end of the car up a little higher.

Tip: laying on cardboards instead of using a roll-around creeper buys you an inch or two. Sometimes that's critical. Plus there are no wheels to flat-spot and refuse to roll, which, trust me, can become a huge irritation. Just don't plan on doing any hot work with them under you.

Over the past 48 years I've been doing all of the exhaust work on every car I've ever owned (plus other undercar repair and modification), and I've never needed more than a pair of ramps, two jackstands, and a floor jack. Sometimes I haven't even had that much. It can be done. Yeah, I'd like to have at least a mid-rise lift these days but those scissors types give me the creeps.

Norm

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Yeah, I'd like to have at least a mid-rise lift these days but those scissors types give me the creeps.

Norm
Sounds like you need a Max Jax lift in your garage :)

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4

I would pay for the rent-a-garage. I wish that there was something like that in Tampa.

OP
OP

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
So funny you should mention that, it apparently went out of business sometime in the last few months.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Unless you're blessed with unusually long arms, ramps and jackstands will provide enough clearance for you. In some cases there may not be quite enough room to work the bent end of a long pipe over the axle, but there's a work-around for that if you can bear to cut and weld something that nobody's going to see anyway. Or you can build your own ramps that get that end of the car up a little higher.

Tip: laying on cardboards instead of using a roll-around creeper buys you an inch or two. Sometimes that's critical. Plus there are no wheels to flat-spot and refuse to roll, which, trust me, can become a huge irritation. Just don't plan on doing any hot work with them under you.

Over the past 48 years I've been doing all of the exhaust work on every car I've ever owned (plus other undercar repair and modification), and I've never needed more than a pair of ramps, two jackstands, and a floor jack. Sometimes I haven't even had that much. It can be done. Yeah, I'd like to have at least a mid-rise lift these days but those scissors types give me the creeps.

Norm
One correction for the bold part: On the 2015's the exhaust goes under the rear suspension, so there's no need to fish anything over. :thumbsup:
Sponsored