Sponsored

Wondering how many have already broke a half shaft and how

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
Guys who unfortunately broke a half shaft. How and which one you broke?. Seem like only the driver side are breaking. Anyone who broke a passenger side?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock half shaft must be stronger than I thought or a lot of people put aftermarket shafts before they break !

I only know of 3 persons that broke a shaft on drag radial and Bama break one on slick. All driver side! Anyone with a broken passenger half shaft?

Last edited:

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
I have been watching you race and reading your posts. You gave me confidence to launch the car. I think some of the breakage has been with people totally shocking the whole system. I think they are stronger than most people think too!

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
Most guys that break them are manual cars running sticky tires, mostly radials. Steph93lx car is a freak I'm super surprised his are still holding

Matte Black

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Rev auto broke one as well on their Silver car at the ABM nats held @ Cecil. Can't remember which side though...

Sponsored

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rev auto broke one as well on their Silver car at the ABM nats held @ Cecil. Can't remember which side though...
On drag radial or slick? N/A or on boost/nitrous?

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most guys that break them are manual cars running sticky tires, mostly radials. Steph93lx car is a freak I'm super surprised his are still holding
I am surprise myself! Each time I drop the clutch I hope the car go foward like it should.
I have driver side spare thinking the passenger will hold!!

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Broke the passenger side half shafts on the stock Pirelli tires.

Edit: my car has 600 whp thanks to my procharger stage 2 with a D1SC head. Shaft broke when I was accelerating (not WOT) on a bridge. The bridge kinda popped my car up a little and when I came back down.. POP! It happened. DSS 1400hp half shafts are going in today.
image.jpg

RSKTAKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So my question is which type of tire is more likely to help cause a half shaft failure? I would think a sticky tire.. the stickier (slick) then the higher the chances are of the shafts failing. I have a friend that says he has seen more failures with stock tires and drag radials vs slicks because the slicks sidewalls wrinkle lots more and are lots more forgiving than other tires. Any truth to this? I don't dump my clutch and IF I was to, I don't think it would be over 4k. I just put slicks on yesterday but I'm worried about the halfshafts, drive shaft and clutch now when it would come to any rpm over 2k or so to launch from a dig? Am I just being a twat here? lol

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I believe the breakage is usually due to wheel hops when launching. The pulsing motion cause metal fatigue.

RSKTAKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I believe the breakage is usually due to wheel hops when launching. The pulsing motion cause metal fatigue.

I have zero wheel hop and I also forgot to mention that my car is just driven on the street for the most part and not much if any dragstrip time.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Wheel hop can break almost anything. When I was drag racing my dually, I shattered the spider gears in two different stock limited slip unit dana 80 carriers. It was wheel hop both times. As you might suspect, even stock dana 80 stuff isn't really weak. Clamping the front of the leaf springs got rid of the wheel hop. No telling what it would have eventually torn up had I not clamped them, that truck made 920 ft/lbs at 2200 rpm in 4th gear on a heartbreaker dyno.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The left side (driver side) usually always break first because when the car launches more weight is transferred to the left. The right side lifts the car. The left side plants harder. When the right side weight transfers it will / can cause wheel hop.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
I already replaced mine while doing my suspension work. I got a great deal from the Drive Shaft Shop I could not pass up.

My stockers have 4200 miles on them if anyone is interested in purchasing them.
Sponsored