WINTER TIRES QUESTION

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'm looking to get Winter Tires this weekend and I wanted to see what you guys think about the three choices I have in my area. I'm not going to buy tires online because I had an issue in the past but here are my choices
Yokohama WinterDrive V905
Cooper WeatherMax WSC
Yokohama Ice Guard 1G52C

235/50R-18 all around- I have the Foundry Wheels

Thoughts? Experiences? I'm getting them Sunday so any help would be great!
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Conti WinterContact SI(hair better vs WS80), Michelin XI3, Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-32(better dry) WS80(better snow), Pirelli Sottozero 3, Nokian Hakkapeliitta

235/50R18
245/45R18

After the above, iG52c is next closest performance wise of the three you listed if you have to only pick from those.

sonofoldcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT premium manual 50th trim package
I have the Yokohama ig51v on my mustang. They work good. Have had continue extremewinter on my crown vic in the past. They works good also. Anything is bether then an all season.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm looking to get Winter Tires this weekend and I wanted to see what you guys think about the three choices I have in my area. I'm not going to buy tires online because I had an issue in the past but here are my choices
Yokohama WinterDrive V905
Cooper WeatherMax WSC
Yokohama Ice Guard 1G52C

235/50R-18 all around- I have the Foundry Wheels

Thoughts? Experiences? I'm getting them Sunday so any help would be great!
Blizzaks WS-80.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 's. I went for drive in 6 inches of snow today and I had less trouble than the front wheel drive cars. (I'd recommend 50-100 bag rock salt in the trunk for a little weight)

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I always used Firestone Winterforce to survive my Hudson Valley winters when I needed snow tires. No experience with the others but these were my go to.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Any recommendation for a winter only tire for Maryland where we'll probably only get 6-7 snowfalls and they are good at keeping <3" of snow on the road? I want to put these on my stock 19x9 wheels just for the winter.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Any recommendation for a winter only tire for Maryland where we'll probably only get 6-7 snowfalls and they are good at keeping <3" of snow on the road? I want to put these on my stock 19x9 wheels just for the winter.
I'd go with something like the Continental Wintercontact SI. One of the cheaper tires out there but rated really well. Remember winter tires aren't just for snow and ice, they're better in dry cold and wet cold too. (like under 40) I guess you could look for performance winters, better in dry/wet under 50 degrees but won't be as good on ice and snow as full on winter tires.

(edited for syntax corrections :p )

Last edited:

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
I have good experience with the Michelin IX3's now on the 3rd season rotating then between my summer tires. Work great in the heavy rain's as well. Size is 235/50-18"

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I'd go with something like the Continental Wintercontact SI. One of the cheaper tires out there but rated really well. Remember winter tires aren't just for snow and ice, they're better in dry cold and wet cold too. (like under 40) I guess you could look for performance winters, better in dry/wet under 50 degrees but won't be as good on ice and snow as full on winter tires.

(edited for syntax corrections :p )
I thought about that when I read the recommendations above. My problem is there's no good size available for my 19x9 wheels. For the 19", they have a 235/55 and a 255/50. Both are more than 2" taller than the stock 27" tire.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I thought about that when I read the recommendations above. My problem is there's no good size available for my 19x9 wheels. For the 19", they have a 235/55 and a 255/50. Both are more than 2" taller than the stock 27" tire.
I purchased a new set of take off 18's off a club member. Took the P-Zero's and donated them to charity. I purchased (4) Continental Winter Contact SI's from the Local Ford dealer, with a Ford rebate attached. I have had the tires on since the end of Oct, and can attest to their abilities in snow, ice and sub-zero temperatures. The 18's will also give you a more comfortable ride in the winter weather, on ice and snow packed roads. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Edit: Whoops, I just saw your signature and the fact you have a PP. 18's most likely will not work.

Last edited:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I purchased a new set of take off 18's off a club member. Took the P-Zero's and donated them to charity. I purchased (4) Continental Winter Contact SI's from the Local Ford dealer, with a Ford rebate attached. I have had the tires on since the end of Oct, and can attest to their abilities in snow, ice and sub-zero temperatures. The 18's will also give you a more comfortable ride in the winter weather, on ice and snow packed roads. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Edit: Whoops, I just saw your signature and the fact you have a PP. 18's most likely will not work.
To be honest, I'm not sure, the 18s may work. The EB PP comers with 19" wheels but uses the brakes that come on the base GT, not the PP Brembos. I know that 18" would be better for comfort and probably performance in the winter but I really didn't want to buy yet another set of wheels. The stock PP wheels will become my winter wheels when I buy my new MRR M600s.

So far, I see the Pirelli Sottozero 3 comes in a fitting size for the 19".
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-SPEC is only .4" taller (not sure what an N-SPEC is).

Your testimonial from SD is pretty serious though!

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I bought a set of the Wintercontact SI as well from a forum member here and I love them so far. I have a slight hill in my neighborhood that never gets plowed and I have gone up and down it numerous times in 3-5" of unplowed snow without any slipping. The fiance was impressed and said my car with these tires is now more reliable in the snow than her car (2014 Focus with A/S tires)

Only difference I have noticed compared to the stock A/S tires is the handling with the wintercontact is slightly reduced around corners, tires feel a little mushy, but that is obviously expected with winter tires and certainly something I can live with.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
To be honest, I'm not sure, the 18s may work. The EB PP comers with 19" wheels but uses the brakes that come on the base GT, not the PP Brembos. I know that 18" would be better for comfort and probably performance in the winter but I really didn't want to buy yet another set of wheels. The stock PP wheels will become my winter wheels when I buy my new MRR M600s.

So far, I see the Pirelli Sottozero 3 comes in a fitting size for the 19".
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-SPEC is only .4" taller (not sure what an N-SPEC is).

Your testimonial from SD is pretty serious though!
Ah see I'd trade/sell your PP wheels for some factory 18's (or just cheap 18s on tirerack or something) for the winter since you're picking up some new wheels for summer. I have MRR 350 for summer.
Sponsored