Sponsored

Winter Driving???

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Having owned a lot of performance cars, sometimes multiple performance cars at the same time, here is my advice:

If you can afford to purchase a car like the GT350, buy a beater and a second parking spot.

I used to think I'd never own a truck, but after enough brutal winters and enough getting stuck, the idea didn't seem so bad. Turned out it wasn't; there was nothing better than coming out of work to my Jeep in a foot of snow and driving home without worry, all while knowing that my Mustang was safe, warm, and dry in the garage.

Driving a high performance car in the snow can really make you hate it, because it's extremely frustrating. And that's just the part about getting stuck....never mind the frozen windows (Mustang is pillarless), dirt/snow/sand/salt accumulation on the interior, damage to the chassis and paint finish from sand/salt/rust, and of course the long term effects of corrosion.

The GT350 is just too nice of a car for that IMO, find a place to store it for the winter months and just buy a cheap 4x4.
:amen:
Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
In Toronto. Lowered 2.5-3". 20x9/10.5 24535 and 285/30 Dws all seasons. No problem at all. Except the Torsen is shit.

Previous to this m3 I drove my SS, z28 and an e46 m3 through winters here. Easy as pie.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I can handle NY winters with only conti DWS all seasons, then you can definitely handle toronto with SNOW tires (given that you have enough ground clearance)
I agree. If you have decent tires on the car and are careful in how you drive you will be fine.

I do have to admit it is nice to have 4WD on certain days. I had never owned a 4WD daily driver until last fall (I'm 47) and always lived in the northern tier of states. Definitely driving 80s Mustangs there was a pucker factor with always being on edge and being ready to react. The newer cars have stability control and traction control that help a ton.

With a low car you just have to watch for large drifts and then decide what to do. Either you need a run at it so momentum helps you get through or you need to choose a different path.

I just get so bored in a cheaper 4WD vehicle that I can barely stand it. I'd rather have to be a little more careful and enjoy the car/ride.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Blizzaks would be better than the dws but they don't handle nearly as well and are a bit heavier. In my experience in Toronto .. 90% of our roads are dry and clean with just salt. Snow tires wear faster and make for much crappier handling and response which for me = no good. I switched to the Dws and it was like night and day vs the blizzaks. I put them on a decent set of wheels so I can switch them up when I take off the 3 pic summer wheels for cleaning every so often and not worry about tread life.

I throughally enjoyed driving my mustang this past winter (granted it was extremely mild). The cloth recaros never got cold and are so comfy. V8s tend to warm up real quick which is always nice ! Always made me smile seeing people in beaters all winter suffering. Imo life is short.. And certainly not worth driving a pos for 4-6 months ;)

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Agree the GT350 is too nice for winter and all that comes with it-salt, frost heaves, ruts, snow/salt/sand/chemicals from your feet, other people's careless driving... Wait for global warming to eradicate winters altogether or get any beater & preserve your investment in the GT350 as much as you can.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
In Toronto. Lowered 2.5-3". 20x9/10.5 24535 and 285/30 Dws all seasons. No problem at all. Except the Torsen is shit.

Previous to this m3 I drove my SS, z28 and an e46 m3 through winters here. Easy as pie.

The crud on your fender and salt bath makes me cringe...to each his own.

OP
OP

Maka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports will not work (safely) in any type of snow!!
You will need to buy wheels and snow tires, but it will be no different than any other rear wheel car with the right setup.

Any regrets not having tech pack instead of track?

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
In my line of work I've literally seen these things take a missile and keep moving.. its my winter solution, and my only wish is for more snow than last winter.
IMG_0238.jpg

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
In my line of work I've literally seen these things take a missile and keep moving.. its my winter solution, and my only wish is for more snow than last winter.
And in my line of work I've literally seen those things drain an owner's bank account so fast that they had to sign over the title of the vehicle in order to pay the repair bill.

If you want a vehicle that will go through anything and doesn't require a second mortgage to repair, buy a Grand Cherokee. I own one equipped with Quadra-Drive II, which includes locking front, center, and rear differentials. Nothing else can compare in terms of traction aside from a Wrangler Rubicon or F-150 Raptor.