Winter driving

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I’ll have to look into that lanolin wax for next year , so if I wash the under carriage often I shouldn’t have to worry about much rust ?
Hello; Cars and trucks are very much better than in yeras past. You still have to look for places where mud and gunk can accumulate tho. In the past there were many such places where that could happen. The mud builds up and stays. It keeps the pocket wet much longer and even in a later light rain it gets soaked all over again. Now most cars have drain holes to let water out if the holes are not plugged with junk. Another thing is the inner fender liners are usually plastic now days.

I watch cars shows and keep seeing ads for an oil undercoating product in the rust belt area. NHOU maybe? (New Hampshire Oil Undercoating) I see it a lot an auto show called Sam's Garage on MAVTV I think. Weekdays around 2:00 PM EST. Never tried it myself, so ???
Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I have always driven my cars year round. My 2006 Mustang I had 203,000 miles on it with a daily commute from Port Huron to downtown Detroit - over 100 miles a day through a lot of heavy snow storms. Never had a problem and no rust when I sold it in 2012.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Easy, three-step recipe for winter driving:
1. Winter tires.
2. Wash often.
3. Enjoy.
Some days, like today, aren’t meant for driving pretty much anything.
Pics taken in downtown Toronto while walking to work this morning.

A677C0F9-4709-47E5-A073-0511ABC467AE.jpeg

289E65E3-3E63-4723-AD46-575F12C0D1EE.jpeg

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I'm on my third winter but I'm fortunate enough to live right by a touchless wash with an undercarriage spray. Main body and frame rust is nonexistent but areas around the wheel and hub (tie rods, ball joint, bolts, rotor, etc) show a bit of rust. Fortunately it's all parts that are wear items and replaced down the road, anyways.

I did have a rock kick up that caused a spot of rust on the bottom last year but I sanded that down and sprayed it with rust reformer and painted over it. So basically just good tires and diligence.

It will require some work but my thoughts were that I'd rather spend the time maintaining my Mustang than spend the time maintaining a beater and the mustang. I did the beater thing for a while and it's annoying.
Even though I live in a warm climate with no snow, but I work in a quarry where my car gets covered with dust/dirt daily.
At one stage when I had my E92 M3 , I had a beater car so I wouldn’t get the M3 dirty but I came to the same conclusion as you. I rather drive and maintain my Mustang than drive and maintain a shitbox and have the Mustang as a garage queen. These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed.
Sponsored