window up/door opening weirdness

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
I have a 2019 gt pp1 and when i open the drivers side door with the window up, there is a little stutter in the door/window when doing so. I told the dealer and they showed me that the passenger side does it too. they said the window is basically causing it by hanging on the rubber stripping but there is nothing they can do. I told them that my son has a 2017 gt and his does not do this. they said the 2017 and 2019 are different in that regard.

If i have the window down and door closed, opening is smooth as can be.

thoughts?
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Is your window rolling down 1/8" - 1/4" when you open the door? This is the mechanism that allows the window to miss the seal when you open the door.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Check the window to 1/4 window distance. If the window is short to the weather strip then your window probably needs to move back towards the 1/4 window so that the glass is supported properly as you open the door. Mine is being fixed along with a door alignment on the driver side. Does exactly what yours does. Passenger side on mine is fine and you can see the difference looking at them comparing the two.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i will take another look at it tonight. the guy at dealer did say they can adjust but then i would have a road noise issue if they dropped it down a hair to clear the weather stripping on opening. i don't know. i wouldn't think the 2017 and 2019 would differ there but i amy be wrong- will look at my son's too...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's probably NOT a matter of dropping the window down. Check to see if the door window is BACK far enough TOWARDS the 1/4 window. If it is not, it will not brace the window as designed while you open the door and cause the rattle.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could also be the weather strip is just new and sticky. Not sure if this still applies, but when I worked in a shop years ago they would put talc on the weather strip when that would happen.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i see there are a few other threads on here for the very same issue on 2016's. 15's etc... so it's not just a 2019 issue it seems. fixes can be replacing al the window stuff, or adjusting height of glass in door BUT you must then replace the weather stripping to avoid leaks.... from what i read.

i will take a look at it and mention it to dealer again when i take it in for new struts and bearings- car has 800 mile son it now and it needed new struts/bearings at 200 miles due to clicking noises in the front end.

ford.

lol..

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
If the dealer doesn’t do anything that cures it, try wiping down all the seals with WD40 SILICONE, which will ease the windows sliding on the seals.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
It's probably NOT a matter of dropping the window down. Check to see if the door window is BACK far enough TOWARDS the 1/4 window. If it is not, it will not brace the window as designed while you open the door and cause the rattle.
I will compare distance from rear of glass to 1/4 window to what my sons is . His 2017 is smooth and quiet.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
So I did some measuring my sons windows drop down 3.5 8ths of an inch whereas mine drops down only 2.5 8ths of an inch. Also, when his door is closed all the way u can still see part of the curve in the corner of the glass . Mine you cannot. So I think my glass needs to just be lower 1 8th inch. I also measured the distance from the rear most edge of the glass to the start of the glass on the quarter window and mine is 1 16th inch farther away than his is. His read 3 8ths inch and mine is 3.5 8ths. I will tell dealer to adjust both front windows accordingly. As far as I can tell, the door trim is identical. Dealer said they are different. Which is BSA

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure when you saw that, you probably said "now I know what he's talking about".
Mine is out of warranty soon so I'm finally getting mine fixed too.

Last edited:
OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
dealer said if they drop it 1/8th inch, i may get wind noise. my son's 2017 doesn't have wind noise to me. So make it like his and I should be happy.

we shall see what they say.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
oh, it's at dealer today getting new struts and bearings. 2019 gt 900 miles on clock.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck. It always astounds me that dealer body shops hate warranty work. They just love to try to talk people out of whatever needs to be done. Looks bad for Ford.

OP
OP

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
Good luck. It always astounds me that dealer body shops hate warranty work. They just love to try to talk people out of whatever needs to be done. Looks bad for Ford.
i mean it feels like an old clunker when you open the door and the glass and door shutter......

43k $ new car is not a clunker at this point.
Sponsored