Sponsored

Window Frozen Open

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
I went out to the car last night to thrown my ice scraper in it. I live in Michigan and we're officially seeing Michigan-weather now. It was 22 degrees and my car was under 4-5" of snow.

So I get out there, open my driver door, throw the ice scraper in, push the door closed and BAM!! I thought the ice scraper was in the way but it was clear of the door opening. I tried again before I realized the sound was the top of the window hitting the roof :frusty:

I started the car up and blasted the heat in the direction of the drivers door trying to warm up the motor. After 35 minutes of wasting gas and sitting there with the door propped open in sub-freezing temps, I was able to put the window down. I quickly shut the car off, rolled the window up, and closed the door. This time the glass didn't smash into the roof, thankfully...

Has anybody had this happen before? This is my second winter with the car and I never experienced it last year... If the window is getting stuck NOW when it's only 22 degrees, how is it going to stand up to January/February temps of below 0?!

The same thing happened this morning. I drove 2/3 of the way to work holding my drivers door closed with one hand while steering/shifting with the other :mad::mad::mad:
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Haha yea I have had this happen as well. Let the car warm for about 10 min and then push on the lower portion of the window near the top of the door. You are basically trying to break the window free from the weatherstripping on the door.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The Mustang has had frameless windows for many years now(2005 IIRC) so isn't anything new. Scrape around the base of the windows and/or let the defroster warm up and melt the ice.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Pretty much any coupe with the tucked in windows does this. My fathers 911 does it worse than any car I have seen.

Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
That would suck if the window was frozen in place so you couldn't open the door at all. :eyebulge:

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I saw a thread in another forum that some guy custom made a "scraper" out of some thick plastic, basically made a "hooK" shaped part that he uses to scrape the ice between the lower part of the window and the weather stripping. Might be worth making something similar.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
1) Boil water....oops, showing my age....MICROWAVE water
2) Fill squirt bottle (preferably w/a stream nozzle)
3) Go out and squirt base of window

When you can move stripping easily w/hand you're good to go...pop door open.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Get some de-icer.
I know it will eventually happen because of frameless doors.
Another reason not to drive in it the winter.

OP
OP
GPhilly04

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
Get some de-icer.
I know it will eventually happen because of frameless doors.
Another reason not to drive in it the winter.
I have to drive it in the winter. I'm still a youngin' (for now) and don't have the means to get a beater car :brokenheart:

When I'm older though I definitely plan on getting a new whatever-the-year Mustang for fun and an econobox for winter

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I feel your pain bro. Start using some de-icer. Not everyone has a second car to use.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have to drive it in the winter. I'm still a youngin' (for now) and don't have the means to get a beater car :brokenheart:

When I'm older though I definitely plan on getting a new whatever-the-year Mustang for fun and an econobox for winter
While I DO have the means to get a beater car, I refuse to pay for a car every month and then not drive it...unless it becomes impossible to drive lol.

OP
OP
GPhilly04

GPhilly04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost 6MT
Pretty much any coupe with the tucked in windows does this. My fathers 911 does it worse than any car I have seen.
I figured it'd be common, I was just surprised that it didn't happen once last winter, but it's happened twice this year already. And we're only in November... Just weird that it's already sticking when temps are still well above freezing.

I might be holding the door closed while driving until March :(

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Maybe try throw a thin towel over the window and close it that way? Or something cover up the windows at night because its the mid night dew gets frozen in the morning.

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Maybe try throw a thin towel over the window and close it that way? Or something cover up the windows at night because its the mid night dew gets frozen in the morning.
That's what I do with thick frost
Sponsored