Wind whistle from right side of the car

OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I just bought my 2016 on Saturday and noticed a similar noise. I put the passenger side window down and it didn't change though. It almost sounds like it's coming through the windshield. Also more of a rustling sound and less of a whistle but still annoying.
In my case putting the window down doesn't change anything other than amplify the volume by bringing the sound into the cabin
Sponsored

OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
***UPDATE***

So I took my car to the dealership this morning because my back up sensors stopped working, so I told them about this whistle issue. I took one of the guys from the body shop in the car with me, and he tried to isolate the sound... Then guess what? By putting his hand on the back of the mirror the sound was COMPLETELY gone! I was so happy haha. We went back to the dealership and now they're attempting to get me a replacement for the right side driver's mirror. The body shop manager and I cannot find any difference whatsoever between the right side and left side mirror, but for whatever reason the right side one whistles. So there you go! Get someone to ride with you and cover the back of the mirror (the actual housing) with their hand, and the whistle will most likely be gone! I'll keep you updated with how the warranty takes care of this. But at least I finally isolated this, it was driving me nuts!

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2016 Premium
passenger whistle noise

***UPDATE***

So I took my car to the dealership this morning because my back up sensors stopped working, so I told them about this whistle issue. I took one of the guys from the body shop in the car with me, and he tried to isolate the sound... Then guess what? By putting his hand on the back of the mirror the sound was COMPLETELY gone! I was so happy haha. We went back to the dealership and now they're attempting to get me a replacement for the right side driver's mirror. The body shop manager and I cannot find any difference whatsoever between the right side and left side mirror, but for whatever reason the right side one whistles. So there you go! Get someone to ride with you and cover the back of the mirror (the actual housing) with their hand, and the whistle will most likely be gone! I'll keep you updated with how the warranty takes care of this. But at least I finally isolated this, it was driving me nuts!
That's great that he figured it out. I started to hear this problem in my car (4 weeks old) now. The only thing I remember doing differently is that when I parked my car in a tight area I folded my side view mirrors. Ever since I get that problem. Is the folding part of the side view mirrors defective? I'd be interested what your dealership finds out. Keep us posted!

Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
^Huh, that sounds like the problem mine is having. I'll have to look for a pinhole.

There's a bunch of what looks like laminate or glue on the right edge of the windshield too so I need to get that taken care of anyway.

96blowncobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Had the same problem on mine and dealerships couldn't find it so I had to dig myself lol

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
mine is a 2016 btw so the TSB listed above should not affect my car.

probably the mirror.

ill put some painters tape on the mirror and see if that solves it.

96blowncobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Mine wasn't in the dates listed either but still had the hole

Sponsored

demarad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the updates....will try his week on mine and see what happens. I'm curious as to what the diff is in the mirror that would cause that.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
my passenger side mirror is causing my noise. we put some painters tape on it, immediately made a huge difference.

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
whistle noise

my passenger side mirror is causing my noise. we put some painters tape on it, immediately made a huge difference.
Can you post pics up where you taped it off with painters tape?
I went to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the sound.

If anyone can find a TSB on the passenger side view mirror that would be highly appreciative. It kind of bothered my date while I was driving on the freeway in the rain.

Thanks!

OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
****SOLVED****

So guys, I was too excited that I completely to get back to the forum. Here's the thing, the dealership could not find anything wrong with the mirror...nothing at all. They just assumed there was something wrong with the folding mechanism since the whistle started after I folded my right side mirror once... then completely forgot about it. They said a shift of a couple of millimeters could most definitely be the cause of the wind striking in a certain angle and causing the sound. For whatever reason taping the whole mirror didn't help much with the sound, although it was a tad bit quieter.
The dealership then got me a brand new mirror for 540 dollars I believe, painted it, and then installed it for a total of around 650. I did not pay anything out of pocket thankfully, since it was covered by the warranty. This was on Monday! Today is Friday, and this whole week I have been driving at 60+ mph on the highway and the DAMN WHISTLE NOISE IS GONE! My car is quieter than ever and I honestly could not be more relieved, since it used to drive me nuts. Hopefully this helped clear a couple of your questions!

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
****SOLVED****

So guys, I was too excited that I completely to get back to the forum. Here's the thing, the dealership could not find anything wrong with the mirror...nothing at all. They just assumed there was something wrong with the folding mechanism since the whistle started after I folded my right side mirror once... then completely forgot about it. They said a shift of a couple of millimeters could most definitely be the cause of the wind striking in a certain angle and causing the sound. For whatever reason taping the whole mirror didn't help much with the sound, although it was a tad bit quieter.
The dealership then got me a brand new mirror for 540 dollars I believe, painted it, and then installed it for a total of around 650. I did not pay anything out of pocket thankfully, since it was covered by the warranty. This was on Monday! Today is Friday, and this whole week I have been driving at 60+ mph on the highway and the DAMN WHISTLE NOISE IS GONE! My car is quieter than ever and I honestly could not be more relieved, since it used to drive me nuts. Hopefully this helped clear a couple of your questions!
Thanks for the follow up!
I get that noise when I hit 85-90mph. It was super annoying with my date in the car. I did record the sound. My friend sitting in the passenger recorded it on my iPhone. The dealership couldn't replicate the sound so they advised me bring it back when the rain stops because maybe it wasn't that prominent because of the rain drops outside.
Sponsored