Will 315/35/20 fit my car?

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Pack W/Brembos
I bought a set of rfx10 Rohana. The wheels have +48 offset 20x11 in the rear. I want to put 315/35/20 since I have 744whp and I want the extra sidewall. Will these tires fit? My car is lowered 1” with steeda proaction shocks and ultra lite springs. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The +48 offsets will have them sitting very close to the rear fender. Depending on the brand of tire, wider doesn't necessarily mean that the contact patch to the road will be much wider. Only one way to really find out though.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It will poke a bit.

But why such a tall tire? A 315/35/20 is almost 29" tall...that's about an SUV sized tire.

Edit: re-read your desire to have more sidewall. It's going to be very tight and dare I say borderline goofy looking.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I guess the real question is how do you intend to drive your car. If drag racing, wrong size wheels. If you have anyone in the rear seats, probably not good. If spirited on the street, will work if you can deal with them possibly extending beyond the fenders. The tire is what will determine how it hooks with whatever hp. A drag radial in 305/35 will hook much better than a non-drag radial tire in 315/35., etc.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Also, looks like Rohana only offers those staggered in 20x9 front and 20x11 rear. What size tire do you plan to run in the front to match that 315/35 in the rear? I would prefer a 20x10 front wheel to easily mount wider tires to compliment that wide of a tire in the rear.

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Also, looks like Rohana only offers those staggered in 20x9 front and 20x11 rear. What size tire do you plan to run in the front to match that 315/35 in the rear? I would prefer a 20x10 front wheel to easily mount wider tires to compliment that wide of a tire in the rear.
I really want a 315 because of aesthetics. Wider tires look better in the rear. And I want the tall sidewall to help traction. So it looks like I’ll stay away from 315/35. I don’t want to do 315/30 because it’s a small sidewall. So that leaves me with having to do a 305/35. I assume a 305/35 will hook better than a 315/30. Am I right? And I guess I will do 275/35 in the front.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed that the shape of these cars and the rear bumper valence don't really show off those really wide tires UNLESS you squat down to view them from the rear. I can't say if a 305/35 will hook better or not than a 315/30, but I think the consensus is yes the taller sidewall will help. Again, the type of tire you run will make a huge difference when it comes to hooking. Are you planning to run drag radials, or, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4s, Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Firehawk Indy 500?

I have a question here. You stated that you wanted wider for the aesthetics. A wider wheel helps spread out that wider tire. What about the front aesthetics? You are planning to run a 9" wheel in the front, where a 10" will fit easily and enable you to run a wider tire.....again, something to consider if you are really leaning towards aesthetics.

I really want a 315 because of aesthetics. Wider tires look better in the rear. And I want the tall sidewall to help traction. So it looks like I’ll stay away from 315/35. I don’t want to do 315/30 because it’s a small sidewall. So that leaves me with having to do a 305/35. I assume a 305/35 will hook better than a 315/30. Am I right? And I guess I will do 275/35 in the front.

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed that the shape of these cars and the rear bumper valence don't really show off those really wide tires UNLESS you squat down to view them from the rear. I can't say if a 305/35 will hook better or not than a 315/30, but I think the consensus is yes the taller sidewall will help. Again, the type of tire you run will make a huge difference when it comes to hooking. Are you planning to run drag radials, or, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4s, Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Firehawk Indy 500?

I have a question here. You stated that you wanted wider for the aesthetics. A wider wheel helps spread out that wider tire. What about the front aesthetics? You are planning to run a 9" wheel in the front, where a 10" will fit easily and enable you to run a wider tire.....again, something to consider if you are really leaning towards aesthetics.
Well the thing is, I already bought the wheels, the Rohanas. They're sitting in my living room in boxes. So all I have left to do now is pick out tires. I was thinking MT ET SS in the rear and Falken Azenis up front. I have falken azenis fk510's right now on my 20x8.5 and 20x10's that are on the car now. Those tires are really great! Dry handling is right up there with Pilot Sport 4s. But nevertheless, I think I'm going to stay away from Mickey Thompsons because they are crappy handling tires. I was thinking about r88r's too. but now I'm thinking either Pilot sport 4s on all 4 wheels. What do you think? I want grip, but I want handling too.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The go-to tire currently seems to be the Nitto NT555rII for hooking. It is a drag radial but supposedly will get better mileage than the r88r. You could put the non drag but matching Nitto 555g2 on the fronts, or as many have done, almost any good handling tire on the front with the drag radial on the rear. If you plan to ever drive in the rain, choose wisely. The Nitto supposedly handles the rain good also. Ironically, I have not driven mine in the rain. I think it's because it always rains right after I detail the car and I just keep it in the garage clean until it is dry out.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4s are great tires also. That is what used to come on the PP cars. Has Michelin caught up with the shortages they were experiencing a couple of months ago?

Well the thing is, I already bought the wheels, the Rohanas. They're sitting in my living room in boxes. So all I have left to do now is pick out tires. I was thinking MT ET SS in the rear and Falken Azenis up front. I have falken azenis fk510's right now on my 20x8.5 and 20x10's that are on the car now. Those tires are really great! Dry handling is right up there with Pilot Sport 4s. But nevertheless, I think I'm going to stay away from Mickey Thompsons because they are crappy handling tires. I was thinking about r88r's too. but now I'm thinking either Pilot sport 4s on all 4 wheels. What do you think? I want grip, but I want handling too.
Sponsored