Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
As would ANY big cube pushrod engine LOL.

Its math. Nothing impressive or innovative about this engine.

Power density is what todays world is all about how much HP can you get from the most compact smallest engine needed to hit the target.

In stock form the tq numbers are pathetic from this 7.3 too. It doesnt even make over 500? Cmon a damn 3.5 ecoboost make over 500tq. Sure the tq under the curve is better on the 7.3 but thats to be expected from a giant cube pushrod engine. How this doesnt makenover 500 tq in FACTORY form is lame.
I think what you are seeing is....it's because Ford didn't wan't it to. As I previously said, this engine is a cam swap and tune away from 500 RWHP.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Are we forgetting this is a truck engine? It’s a great engine for what it was designed for. Talk about a solution looking for a problem. Our S550’s are just fine with the Coyote. 216 pages of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Meanwhile I can’t stop reading it. Damn you millhouse :explode::angry::cwl::crackup:

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
I think what you are seeing is....it's because Ford didn't wan't it to. As I previously said, this engine is a cam swap and tune away from 500 RWHP.
All Im saying is in stock form its lame. Nothing impressive about a big cube pushrod engine.

Of course itll make great HP with head work, cam, and intake manifold.

Im not arguing any of that. I just fit it hilarious all of a sudden so many people fapping over a giant pushrod engine.

Welcome to like 50 years ago.

Big cube engines can make hp!?? You dont say!!

As for the driveability. Bullsh1t. A dohc engine will have better driveability than some giant lopy big cube engine period.

You want a giant lopey cam in a massive pushrod engine drivability is going to suffer period.

Same reason not many people put cams in a coyote. Its not needed just feed it some boost and let the glory of vct do the rest.

But hey people dont care about technology. Big cube massive pushrod engines for all the things!! LOL.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Are we forgetting this is a truck engine? It’s a great engine for what it was designed for. Talk about a solution looking for a problem. Our S550’s are just fine with the Coyote. 216 pages of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Meanwhile I can’t stop reading it. Damn you millhouse :explode::angry::cwl::crackup:
I don't disagree...however, I would love to see one in an S550 for drag racing. Not factory mind you. It's only a matter of time.

All Im saying is in stock form its lame. Nothing impressive about a big cube pushrod engine.

Of course itll make great HP with head work, cam, and intake manifold.

Im not arguing any of that. I just fit it hilarious all of a sudden so many people fapping over a giant pushrod engine.

Welcome to like 50 years ago.

Big cube engines can make hp!?? You dont say!!

As for the driveability. Bullsh1t. A dohc engine will have better driveability than some giant lopy big cube engine period.

You want a giant lopey cam in a massive pushrod engine drivability is going to suffer period.

Same reason not many people put cams in a coyote. Its not needed just feed it some boost and let the glory of vct do the rest.

But hey people dont care about technology. Big cube massive pushrod engines for all the things!! LOL.
Sorry, 600hp n/a coyotes have absolute shitty drive-abiltiy. Everyone knows it. They have no torque down low...none...and you need to wring them out to 8k+ rpm. Again, it's the reason people go forced induction. Hell, the cost to upgrade the coyote to get to that 600hp is likely the cost of the entire 7.3L engine.

You seem to be stuck on the 7.3L cam being terribly lopey. It doesn't have to be to make horsepower. And of course, it will have endless tire frying low end torque. No need to wring it out.

You seem to think I need you or anyone to be impressed with this engine. That's not what I'm saying. For any hot-rodder, this is an exciting opportunity. This 7.3L engine has enormous potential without even having to open up the bottom end. Hell, even the top end is fantastic.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Well hell if thats the case people might as well go buy a C6Z they have a 7.0 pushrod engine and they are pretty cheap now LOL!!

Ohh and that engines got the biggest aftermarket support known to man pretty much being LS.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Well hell if thats the case people might as well go buy a C6Z they have a 7.0 pushrod engine and they are pretty cheap now LOL!!
That LS7 engine makes 503hp and costs $15k. Just some food for thought.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
That LS7 engine makes 503hp and costs $15k. Just some food for thought.
I meant buying the entire C6Z is getting to be pretty cheap.

Anyone spending 15k for a 7.0 LS is a fool. You can get bigger engines from scoggin dicky for less than 15k.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Except, that's not a FBO 7.3L. Those horsepower numbers are an intake, cam and "minor port work". That's it.

I expect a FBO 7.3L will be closer to 700hp.
What more would a FBO need? Already has unrestricted exhaust, as it is on an engine dyno. Has custon IM, porting, cam, and tuning. I doubt a little more porting will mean an extra 100hp. There is probably some room once they go E85, but it would have been more bang for the buck with a fuel system like the Coyote and higher compression.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
I promise you that bolt together modular piece intake manifold isnt cheap either.

Itll make 4 digit HP easily once boosted though.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What more would a FBO need? Already has unrestricted exhaust, as it is on an engine dyno. Has custon IM, porting, cam, and tuning. I doubt a little more porting will mean an extra 100hp. There is probably some room once they go E85, but it would have been more bang for the buck with a fuel system like the Coyote and higher compression.
They didn't do major porting, just mild cleanup. A full port and polish along with larger valves and a custom cam could absolutely yield another 100hp...especially with E85.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I promise you that bolt together modular piece intake manifold isnt cheap either.

Itll make 4 digit HP easily once boosted though.
Expect intake to cost similar to what they do for LS engines. Somewhere in the $300 to $500 range. The intake in the video was for testing only...they mentioned there were actual aftermarket intakes coming.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Sorry, 600hp n/a coyotes have absolute shitty drive-abiltiy. Everyone knows it. They have no torque down low...none...and you need to wring them out to 8k+ rpm. Again, it's the reason people go forced induction. Hell, the cost to upgrade the coyote to get to that 600hp is likely the cost of the entire 7.3L engine.
For an engine with no torque, I certainly have a lot of trouble not melting the RE-71Rs any time I punch it rolling in 1st or 2nd.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
They didn't do major porting, just mild cleanup. A full port and polish along with larger valves and a custom cam could absolutely yield another 100hp...especially with E85.
Once you start changing valves and reworking internals, you are no longer just FBO.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Once you start changing valves and reworking internals, you are no longer just FBO.
Depends on weather you include heads on an FBO. If you exclude heads, I agree....not able to touch them. If you include heads in an FBO, then port work and valves should be allowed...as a new set of heads would have those anyways.

With that said, swapping heads on these is a simple en devour.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
For an engine with no torque, I certainly have a lot of trouble not melting the RE-71Rs any time I punch it rolling in 1st or 2nd.
Gearing can certainly make up for it...and so can RPM. With that said, you need both to take full advantage....which also means a 10 speed auto is almost a necessity as you need to shift fast and often to stay in the powerband.
Sponsored