Sponsored

Whippled 350 owners, anyone removed the grill box out?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Has anyone removed this upper frame out of the grille?

I have the mishimoto radiator and the whipple oversized HE.

I also have trackspec hood louver.

I'm wondering what affect it would have on:

1) air velocity across the upper side of the "layer cake" of HE, radiator and AC condenser.

2) Overall flow to help flush under hood Temps (given that I have additional opening with the trackspec)

3) any reduction in high speed front lift.
20211217_231633.jpg
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I have the same setup. I doubt it would have much affect.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I had plans to open up the top frame opening for more cooling If I ever installed an aftermarket vented hood. Lots more air coming into the engine bay will need to be released just the same. Front end lift could occur along with more pressure pushing up on the hood at high speeds.

Your Trackspec vents could be enough to release the extra air, but that would be difficult to know for sure. Maybe just pull out a dremel and open up the frame some instead of completely removing it?

Or you can take measurements of how open the new GT500 upper frame is for comparison?

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I just decided not to mess with it. Looking at it from the rear, it's difficult to determine whether the frame can be removed and leave all parts of the grill.

With the whipple, the mishimoto and the HE, I've added quite a bit of weight to the front end, so a bit of lift to counteract that would be welcome, otherwise the car is going to be too biased forward and create an oversteer. I have a better spoiler on the rear, but I have no idea what it would take to balance it back out, I just know I have lift to spare. Basides, the trackspec is a massive hole in the hood, I can imagine the small amount of additional air would be enough to overhelm the throughput out the hood.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
It definitely can be removed, as the grill is separate. Remove those small screws around the frame and pop off from the tabs holding it in place. The tabs are held in by "teeth" that are basically one time use unless you carefully bend them up.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I didn’t notice much of difference in the handling after the whipple install. I did do BMR springs at the same time though.

I just decided not to mess with it. Looking at it from the rear, it's difficult to determine whether the frame can be removed and leave all parts of the grill.

With the whipple, the mishimoto and the HE, I've added quite a bit of weight to the front end, so a bit of lift to counteract that would be welcome, otherwise the car is going to be too biased forward and create an oversteer. I have a better spoiler on the rear, but I have no idea what it would take to balance it back out, I just know I have lift to spare. Basides, the trackspec is a massive hole in the hood, I can imagine the small amount of additional air would be enough to overhelm the throughput out the hood.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I didn’t notice much of difference in the handling after the whipple install. I did do BMR springs at the same time though.
I did the same, however you wouldn't really notice it until you drive it to the limit. Between additional coolant, additional components, etc, I'm betting I've added 100 lbs to the front tires. And that's with the weight reduction from the K member, hood, chin, etc.

In truth, the aero bias is a secondary concern to IAT's. Was just looking at the frame out with the splitter off and spitballing ideas. If it was just unbolt (and reinstall) I'd have tried it, but the frame out is too muddled with the actual upper grill layer and the fasteners, etc. I'm not confident you can do it without compromising the grille. And it has the little friction teeth retainers I didn't want to mess with and foul up.
Sponsored