Sponsored

Whipple Tomahawk

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
So has anyone used any of the other functions of the tomahawk other than the crank relearn and tire size calibration? I was scrolling through the menu and saw guardian, performance, and torque by gear. There's not much info on it.
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I’ve only data logged. Capture = enabled means it will save it to the SD card. Capture = disabled means you can just watch it live on the tomahawk and it will not save the log.

I asked Whipple if they had any other documentation on features of the tomahawk and was told all they have is what is provided with the kit. Disappointing considering it would not take much to put the documentation together.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I thought that allowed you to limit torque by gear to keep from spinning the tires when going WOT in lower gears?

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
So has anyone used any of the other functions of the tomahawk other than the crank relearn and tire size calibration? I was scrolling through the menu and saw guardian, performance, and torque by gear. There's not much info on it.
I use it to turn Octane Adjust off (Cali 91) and on (w boostane). That’s essential if you’re on 91; well, to me it is.

I also like using torque reduction by gear (15-17 only I hear, not sure why). Not really necessary since you can control the torque with your right foot but if you just want to floor it and not spin, nice to be able to dial back the power esp in 1st-3rd. Since I’m not really into track use I like to use it to remind myself how massively powerful the car is now...a couple of weeks at -25% and OA on (= about Bullitt-level power but a perfectly linear (=more boring) powerband) makes -0% feel insanely fast again. But that’s just me.

I think the most important features are in guardian. If safeguarding the engine is esp important to you, turn these all on except knock limiting. Maybe turn some of them off at the track if you have reliable gas and everything’s working well. Some guys have said they uncork a lot of additional power with them off. I leave them on always.

OP
OP

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I use it to turn Octane Adjust off (Cali 91) and on (w boostane). That’s essential if you’re on 91; well, to me it is.

I also like using torque reduction by gear (15-17 only I hear, not sure why). Not really necessary since you can control the torque with your right foot but if you just want to floor it and not spin, nice to be able to dial back the power esp in 1st-3rd. Since I’m not really into track use I like to use it to remind myself how massively powerful the car is now...a couple of weeks at -25% and OA on (= about Bullitt-level power but a perfectly linear (=more boring) powerband) makes -0% feel insanely fast again. But that’s just me.

I think the most important features are in guardian. If safeguarding the engine is esp important to you, turn these all on except knock limiting. Maybe turn some of them off at the track if you have reliable gas and everything’s working well. Some guys have said they uncork a lot of additional power with them off. I leave them on always.
Do you have gear 1-3 set at -25%?

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Do you have gear 1-3 set at -25%?
I have Indy 500s, 285s, so have traction issues in 2nd at anything more than -20% (incl with OA on) and first is useless. Right now I’m on bare pump 91 so OA on and -25% for 1st and 4th-6th. I’m on the street and cautious so don’t generally floor it in 4th (too fast if shifting from 3rd, bogging the engine with boost at lower rpm (not a great idea)). 0% for 2nd and 3rd...with OA on 3rd won’t spin and I try to modulate the throttle in 2nd to limit wheel spin, which is fun actually. Actually I don’t turn off TC (again, cautious) so by “limit wheel spin” I mean avoid TC but just barely.
Sponsored