Whipple oversized heat exchanger

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
From what I've read, puller fans are better than pusher fans. Puller fans draw more cfm than a pusher fan. Also a pusher fan blocks the front of the heat exchanger and lets less air through. Whipple owners I think would be better off with the oversize heat exchanger.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LethalBlake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150
Hey everyone...I've tried to search but still a little confused. I live in Memphis, Tn so it gets hot and humid here. I am going with the whipple stage 1 kit and will probably keep it at that maybe a pulley exchange. I will not see the track and my car is dd 2015 gt auto with the occasional street race, light to light, etc. So my question is do I need a bigger heat exchanger and which is best the oversized heat exchanger or the dual fans? Thanks so much for the advice.
I would typically suggest doing the upgrade and making sure you covered for any hot/humid temperatures, plans on tracking the car, or daily driving.

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m guess passing on the oversized heat exchanger for a street/fun car is a bad idea? (Gen 5 whipple)

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
So I’m guess passing on the oversized heat exchanger for a street/fun car is a bad idea? (Gen 5 whipple)
It's always a good idea to opt for the larger heat exchanger/intercooler (depending on which SC kit) if your budget allows. You don't want to be in a situation where you are wanting to get on it ( like doing multiple back to back pulls) but your IAT's are through the roof and the PCM starts to pull timing to protect the motor. Just buy it once and be done with it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it IMO.

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
I went with the standard heat exchanger. I read a bunch of material from department of boost who is very knowledgeable about cooling needs. He said the standard was actually better because of flow through the core. The standard is still a good size unit. I personally didn't want the additional weight in the front and if it didn't work out I would just go with a tank for extra capacity. So far my temps have been great, but I also will be sticking to the 3.87 pulley as 800+ (E85)on the street is enough for me. As far as fans, he's against them. He's had some guys "fence" the heat exchanger with the radiator so air can't escape out the sides and it uses the radiator fans to pull, which are way more powerful than the added exchanger fans.

Sponsored

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the standard heat exchanger. I read a bunch of material from department of boost who is very knowledgeable about cooling needs. He said the standard was actually better because of flow through the core. The standard is still a good size unit. I personally didn't want the additional weight in the front and if it didn't work out I would just go with a tank for extra capacity. So far my temps have been great, but I also will be sticking to the 3.87 pulley as 800+ (E85)on the street is enough for me. As far as fans, he's against them. He's had some guys "fence" the heat exchanger with the radiator so air can't escape out the sides and it uses the radiator fans to pull, which are way more powerful than the added exchanger fans.
How are your iAT’s?

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
How are your iAT’s?
The highest I've seen is 133 after winding out 4th gear on 100+degree day. Cruising usually 17-20 ish above ambient. My tune is set to pull timing at 150 on E85 and 130 on pump gas.
Sponsored