Whining noise = Bad tires...???

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Hey guys. It's me again lol.

Alright so I called Ford today to check on the status of my car. They were waiting on my approval to change my front tires for abnormal wear (which they never called me to ask... Thank God I called.) I told them I didn't wanna change my tires with them. Anyways here's the issue I have with my car that I told them:

- At 20mph and below I'll hear a whining noise from the front of the car. It's louder whenever I have the windows closed. Over 20mph no more noise... :shrug:

Here's the BS from Ford that I have a hard time believing and I'm getting tired of it... :rant::frusty:

- Both of your front tires have abnormal wear and you need an alignment. This is the cause of your whining noise.

Thanks!
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Uneven wear or simply the sh*tty stock tires would produce a whining noise. I got rid of my stock tires at 20,000 miles because of the excessive noise. That said, there are plenty of things that can cause a whining noise.

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uneven wear or simply the sh*tty stock tires would produce a whining noise. I got rid of my stock tires at 20,000 miles because of the excessive noise. That said, there are plenty of things that can cause a whining noise.

It's the stock one... However the guy told me that "Usually" the tech check suspension and wheel bearing. I mean if it was the tires making that squeaking/whining noise it should make it above 20mph also no...?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It's the stock one... However the guy told me that "Usually" the tech check suspension and wheel bearing. I mean if it was the tires making that squeaking/whining noise it should make it above 20mph also no...?
Hard to say. The characteristics of the tire and tread would determine that. Usually tire whine is more pronounced at lower speeds but that is not always true. I can not remember exactly how mine were but they were very loud at low speed.

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hard to say. The characteristics of the tire and tread would determine that. Usually tire whine is more pronounced at lower speeds but that is not always true. I can not remember exactly how mine were but they were very loud at low speed.
It sounds like I'm killing a mouse lol. Let's say I order a set of tires I go to a shop to put them on and make the alignment. If the problem is still persistent can I make Ford pay the bills?

Also, While I'm at it. I have the Stock rims (V6) 18" Do you think on them I can put some 225/45-18 ? I want some fat tires (On the rear) and keep 235/50-18 in the front...? :D

Last edited:

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ford would only put stock sizes on. I would let them replace and align the front and if the whine is still there then they can know and move on. That way your not paying (Im assuming?)

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford would only put stock sizes on. I would let them replace and align the front and if the whine is still there then they can know and move on. That way your not paying (Im assuming?)
They quote over $1600 of tires and labor... No thanks :lol:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Yea hell no to that. $1600 for just 2 tires and an alignment? Sounds to me like you need to get your car back and go to another dealership that might be more competent.

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea hell no to that. $1600 for just 2 tires and an alignment? Sounds to me like you need to get your car back and go to another dealership that might be more competent.
Here's the thing... I did 3 dealership already. The one I'm at right now is the one that takes my car without appointment 2 months later and gives me a free rental car lol (Also the one that a bought the car from).:frusty:

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
My tires are about 1/2 worn and loud as hell at low speeds. They are 235-5-18 GY eagle F1's. I doubt you need new tires- go to a Discount Tire if you have one in your city. They are usually straight up with people. You are just going to hear a lot of tire noise on a car like this- pretty normal.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
can you move the front set to the rear and see if the noise goes to the rear?

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My tires are about 1/2 worn and loud as hell at low speeds. They are 235-5-18 GY eagle F1's. I doubt you need new tires- go to a Discount Tire if you have one in your city. They are usually straight up with people. You are just going to hear a lot of tire noise on a car like this- pretty normal.
I do have a discount tire I was actually thinking about it...

can you move the front set to the rear and see if the noise goes to the rear?
I think I'm about to do that as well I thought about it yesterday.

I actually got my car back today and what a surprised they fixed the Tranny but charged me to diagnosing the front whining noise ($130!!!). Here's the thing though... I'm going back tomorrow to get a refund I have a dash cam that recorded all the shit they've done to my car. I told them it's under 20mph and the guy played to go over 50-60. Put the car on the lift (didn't lifted it to even take out the tires). The guy just kept going here and there working on another car. Then he drove off my car again and parked it. (If this is how you diag bad tires noises and an alignment... I never knew about this method. :paddle:) I'm really pissed right now :frusty: I'm about to upload the entire video to YouTube and send a letter to Ford. :rant::tsk:
Sponsored

Last edited: