Whine After Seal Swap!

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Well, if I had this car at work I’d probably get a fluid sample next and base my next steps off of those findings.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid sample, what fluid I am curious..

Maybe after a drive, reach in and touch the hubs to cross-check the temp with the other? If both are reasonably close, look at the brake area, you're confident the seal was seated.

This is the hub & seal being discussed? Is there a chance the hub assembly is not seated in the housing? Bolts were torqued, and the surfaces this nests in were clean.

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 10.10.33 PM.png

Don't think there is a part failure or failing here? Reads more like some minior error in the assembly going back together.

Some info
Torque spec hud bolts
Hub torque spec.png
Half shaft detail.png
Detail 2 could whine.png
detail3.png

This could be the whine, I would not remove it just check & lube if dry
detail4.png
detail5.png
detail 6 check grease.png

Last edited:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Fluid sample, what fluid I am curious..
Diff fluid. I would get a magnet in there and see what comes out. I was reading it as replacing the seal on the side of the diff, where the axle is inserted, but I could be wrong. Whether he messed anything up or not doesn’t matter. The noise is not dependent on loading one side or the other, so diff or some other bearing from the trans output shaft to the rear axle shafts based on what little real info we have. Unless we don’t have all the info.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The seal on the side of the diff housing…correct. Nothing to do with the hubs.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Diff fluid. I would get a magnet in there and see what comes out. I was reading it as replacing the seal on the side of the diff, where the axle is inserted, but I could be wrong. Whether he messed anything up or not doesn’t matter. The noise is not dependent on loading one side or the other, so diff or some other bearing from the trans output shaft to the rear axle shafts based on what little real info we have. Unless we don’t have all the info.
I believe this to be so, and think something is going on with the axel.

Clue, the noise was not present, before the seal was replaced. Unlikely a part failed in that maintenance procedure.

OP: at this juncture, this very well may be the best option.
" I even thought about taking it back apart and putting it right back together just to try something."

If this were my car I would have gone right back in the first hint of the whine...

Clean the splines and check. Make sure the one on the diff end slides freely in & out, without binding, it moves more than you may think.

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. Dont' know what I expect to find, but worth the investigation. Will have some down time this winter doing some other projects anyways, so, might as well add this to the list.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. Dont' know what I expect to find, but worth the investigation. Will have some down time this winter doing some other projects anyways, so, might as well add this to the list.
I would be interested in what you end up finding.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I would be interested in what you end up finding.
As good as everything came apart and went back together (I know you guys don't know me from Adam, but I'm a pretty darn daggum good wrench), I'm expecting not a daggum thing. But I will keep you posted. It'll be a while, with the holiday's and other projects and all.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I hate f$&@ing noises.

Went for a drive today and my daughter drove. From the passenger seat, noise is much less apparent. Interesting. So what do we do?? Yanked out the rear seat panel, all the insulation, I climbed in the truck, and hit the road! The noise is 100% rear end area, but noises being what they are, could not determine a stronger origination point, like a for certain wheel hub for example.

However, As we were discussing it, she proceeded to remind me that we did something else at the same down time as the axle seal!!! During that same down time, we installed a rear seat delete. That in itself changed the noises of the interior. I’m seriously hoping this whine hasn’t been there forever and it was just not audible until removing the insulating qualities of the seats. I seriously think I’m going to put the seats back in and see what happens. More to come….

I’m thinking the odds of this are pretty low, but suppose I need to remove the variables.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So the seats made no difference. Haven’t had time to tackle the next steps yet.

Thoughts on “driving” the car on a QuickJack? Safely secured with QuickJack and tactically placed jack stands? And at speeds around 50-60?

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thoughts on “driving” the car on a QuickJack? Safely secured with QuickJack and tactically placed jack stands? And at speeds around 50-60?
Ferris has got that subject covered … :giggle:

1704041088613.jpeg

WD :like:

v guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RP
Vehicle(s)
99 SVT
I had the front seals replaced recently on my F150 4wd.

They disassembled and reassembled....
I got a noise.

The noise I swear was on the rt side.........it turned out to be the left side bearing/hub assbly.
Hubs are very similar to mustang rear.

Don't dismiss the possibility that the hubs simply do not like disassembly and reassembly.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@v guy 100% agree with all your comments. Sounds are a complete nuisance, especially when you can’t pinpoint it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sorry, kinda long delay in an update. Life, weather, time, bla bla bla.

Soooo, nothing resolved yet. I did do the driving on the lift. Not too unnerving, but it didn’t reveal anything. Even at the same speeds, with no load on the wheels, it just didn’t do the sounds. But I kinda expected that. So dead end there.

But, I was going through some pics and I noticed something else I did a day or two before the seal swap. Just never connected the two.

So at the same time as my seal swap when the alleged whine started, I forgot that I also performed the bulletin for the tranny tail shaft nut replacement. So now I’m f$&@ing paranoid my whine is the tranny and not the axle. Uugghhhh. The sound 100% sounds behind you in the car (like we’ve discussed), but we all know car noises can wreak havoc on the senses. Sooooo….
Sponsored