Sponsored

Which Products For.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
16 Triple Yellow GT Premium with the Performance Package.

I need the following;

-Soap/Foam/Wash =
-Clay bar =
-Wax to maker her shine bright like a diamond =
-Interior vinyl cleaner (no greasy shine) =
-Leather seats cleaner/protector (needed?) =
-Exterior Vinyl cleaner/protector =
-Wax =
-Sealant, if not one in the same with wax =
-Detailer Spray for in between = CG V7
-Rim Cleaner for black rims =
-Tire Cleaner =
-Tire Shine =

Maybe I don't need all this? :) 15 years ago I was into this stuff and used Poorboys stuff. Their spray and wipe waterless wash was awesome. Used Zaino too for my black car. Seems like CGs or Adams are big around her, but CGs has 100s of waxes let alone other stuff. Much thanks for any help.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've been switching over to all Chemical Guys stuff for my black car. I just purchased the VSS compound/polish, the V38 polish, Butter Wet Wax, their white and orange pads, their leather cleaner and conditioner, and a few other products. They work great and are reasonably priced. I used the VSS polish this weekend on an orange pad, followed by V38 on a white pad, and then by Butter Wet Wax. As far as soap, I use Dawn to strip wax, and usually whatever car wash is on sale for a normal wash.

As for interior cleaning, I always just use soap and water, or Armor All cleaning wipes for quick cleans (not protectant wipes, the cleaning wipes are just soap and leave no residue), I generally don't like Armor All anything but the wipes are just like using a wet hand wipe. For the seats I generally just use the Chemical Guys Cleaner, from what I understand the seats are sealed and conditioner would just sit on the surface as a residue, so I avoid using the conditioner. I really don't like using protectants on the plastic because they always seem to leave some sort of residue while any spots missed still remain the matte finish making it look terrible. I may try 303 protectant on the plastic pieces in the trunk first just to make sure it doesn't leave it too shiny or leave any residue. For example, if I only use protectant on half the dash, I want it to still match the half I used no protectant on.

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I get a little confused on the steps; wash, but then what? Straight to wax, or do some polish to "correct the paint" then wax or seal?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
This is why I'm not much of a fan of chemical guys. They saturate the market with a shit ton of products that do basically the same thing, some with just slightly different scents or whatever.

Soap: Meguiars Gold Class. This stuff is just as good as any soap on the market, readily available at big box stores like walmart, and is cheaper than what any online detailer will try to sell you.

Clay Bar: I prefer the nanoskin stuff. They sell wash mitts with a clay surface, that basically allows you to kill two birds with one stone by claying and washing at the same time. MUCH quicker than a clay bar, but they're kinda pricey.

Wax/Sealant: They basically serve the same purpose nowadays. You can go traditional, and go with a carnuba wax, but sealants are where it's at nowadays.
I don't much bother with paste waxes... I solely use liquid waxes and spray waxes (both of which aren't really waxes, but are sealants). For liquid: I use Collinite 845. That stuff is amazing. Will make water bead like no other wax will. For a drying aid, I use Meguiars Synthetic X-Press spray wax.

I've also used stuff like Chemical guy's Jet seal, but I'm not 100% convinced that, A: It's worth the cost, and B: that it even really works.

For interior/exterior plastics, Aerospace 303 is the bomb. Doesn't give a greasy armorall shine, but it does give plastics a darker appearance and offers some uv protection. Best stuff on the market, by far.

For rims/tires, you don't really need anything special. You can use an all purpose cleaner, and be fine. I'd avoid simple green though, as it does attack aluminum. So long as you're not letting brake dust build up for months, an all purpose is all you need. Personally, for all purpose, I use LA Totally Awesome. I found it in a Dollar Tree store for like $3 a gallon. Stuff works just as well as the meguiars stuff at a fraction the cost.

Tire shine: I use some blue silicone style tire shine. It's super durable and gives a wet look. A lot of people don't like these, because they supposedly degrade the tire or something... I guess. I'll wear out the tires long before the tire shine will do anything to it.

Don't get sucked into the marketing hype. Most of it's just bullshit to get you to spend more money.

Rinseless washing like ONR (optimum no rinse) is a great time saver, and has awesome results. Very safe too.

As far as steps: Wash -> Clay -> Wash (get remaining residue) -> polish (if needed) -> sealant/wax

Paint correction isn't needed unless you're actually trying to get rid of swirls. If you have a relatively swirl free car, then don't bother. Even claying isn't something you need to do on a regular basis. Once a year is fine, and even that's overkill, IMO.

Like I said, sealant and wax serve the same purpose. Sealants last longer and are more durable, but if you can use both if you like. If you use both, sealant first, wax second.

TikiGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Wash, clay, wash again if desired, paint correction/polish, glaze, seal, wax. That's the 'recommended flow' typically. Some people have a slightly different process but yea...

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I'll second the Meguiars Gold Class. I use it for my hand wash after CG Honeydew in a foam gun. Just used a regular clay bar when I got the car, then Blackfire for sealant. Love AMMO Hydrate for a drying aid. Wanting to try out CG Butter Wet Wax because it looks like an easy application without the dusting of a paste wax.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Clay Bar: I prefer the nanoskin stuff. They sell wash mitts with a clay surface, that basically allows you to kill two birds with one stone by claying and washing at the same time. MUCH quicker than a clay bar, but they're kinda pricey.
I would never do that at the same time. Wash first, rinse, then clay with soap or other detail spray/lubricant. Now a clay mit/rag/nanoskin is much faster and easier than actual clay (levels of effectiveness may vary but I doubt enough to make any noticeable difference). And those mitts will likely last the life of the car if not more, whereas with clay if you drop it, done.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Normally...

1. Tires and wheels. Spray the wheels with Adam's wheel cleaner, then the tires and trim with Adam's tire/trim cleaner and scrub the tires with a brush.

2. Wet car down and rinse off wheels/tires/trim.

3. Wash with Meguiar's Gold or Adam's shampoo and the 2-bucket method, as long as it's pH balanced most soaps are likely very similar in terms of effectiveness, though some have built-in lubricants which can help drying and make them better for using as a clay lubricant.

4. Rinse, using a hard spray in corners/edges and around the trim and wheels/tires again (gets any build-up out of those areas), then sheet rinse the panels.

~Clay here using a detail spray on the wet car if needed and then rinse again.

5. Spot dry large puddles with a drying microfiber and any really wet spots.

6. Apply Adam's H20 Guard & Gloss using the wet method, this dries the car and leaves a layer of glossy sealant over everything (not on your front window though! Tried it once and hated it).

7. Can stop after 6 since the car looks amazing from the H20 G&G but I make sure it's dry and then apply a layer of wax (searching for a better wax, Adam's Buttery Wax isn't cutting it for me long-term, though short-term it looks great) but I like to put an extra layer on the stripes which keeps any sort of contamination off and easily cleanable on the wax.

8. Windows with distilled water (I have hard water and it spots easily), buff with a moist towel then buff dry with a clean, dry towel.

It's tough to start a routine and it'll feel like forever the first few times, but once you get into a rhythm it all goes quickly.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll second the Meguiars Gold Class. I use it for my hand wash after CG Honeydew in a foam gun. Just used a regular clay bar when I got the car, then Blackfire for sealant. Love AMMO Hydrate for a drying aid. Wanting to try out CG Butter Wet Wax because it looks like an easy application without the dusting of a paste wax.
CG Butter Wet Wax is VERY easy to apply and wipe off. It makes waxing my car much easier vs. everything else I've used in the past. It's reasonably priced too. They say you can ever add it while the car is still wet, but I still dry mine first.

Glen H.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
i have a garage kept 16' ruby g.t. i use mothers spray wax on all paint and black trim,spoiler,mothers vlr for interior, meguires wax,use calif. duster lightly daily ,black diamond tire dressing,lightly ,weekly,clean tires with bar towel ,rubbing alcohol and water,stock painted rims,weekly with spray wax,6 months old and never waxed, paint still feels good, but will clay it down later,my 4th stang and this paint is the best yet.

Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
CG Butter Wet Wax is VERY easy to apply and wipe off. It makes waxing my car much easier vs. everything else I've used in the past. It's reasonably priced too. They say you can ever add it while the car is still wet, but I still dry mine first.
Agreed. I just used the butter wet wax after clay bar and it was super easy to wipe on and off. I'm a big fan of CG. I understand like someone else mentioned, that they have alot of products that do the same thing but it's just preference. As a driveway detailer, I enjoy trying different products. With that said, I prefer Adam's Polishes detail spray and even CG Speed Wipe than CG V7.

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Great tips guys. Placed an order with Adams and CG. Hope it all arrives tomorrow so I get to work this weekend. :)

shawn3210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 PP Triple yellow
I love chemical guys stuff, great products. Around my area they have a local store too which is nice.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I just used the butter wet wax after clay bar and it was super easy to wipe on and off. I'm a big fan of CG. I understand like someone else mentioned, that they have alot of products that do the same thing but it's just preference. As a driveway detailer, I enjoy trying different products. With that said, I prefer Adam's Polishes detail spray and even CG Speed Wipe than CG V7.
Yep, that's my only issue with CG are well, too many products that do the same thing, it's so easy to get confused. Really all you need for paint is compound, polish, and wax. Maybe sealant if you use that. If the car is new you could probably get away with their VSS compound/polish instead of buying both compound and polish. I generally only use their orange and white pads as well. For my interior I just use soap and water, and the CG leather cleaner occasionally for the seats.

On another note, what do you guys use to protect the plastic trim on the outside of the car? I know they sell products to darken it, but for a newer car is there anything you can use to prevent fading rather than restoring faded pieces? I think I noticed someone uses spray wax?

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
16 Triple Yellow GT Premium with the Performance Package.

I need the following;

-Soap/Foam/Wash = depends. Megs Gold Class for regular washes, something citrus for stripping sealants
-Clay bar = SM Arnold Paint Prep Towel with an Optimum Eraser for smaller areas
-Wax to maker her shine bright like a diamond = wax is for old people, get CarPro CQuartz UK or similar coating.
-Interior vinyl cleaner (no greasy shine) = Einszett Cockpit Premium
-Leather seats cleaner/protector (needed?) = Same, too coated leather doesn't need conditioners and if someone tells you otherwise don't listen to any of their shit advice
-Exterior Vinyl cleaner/protector = Gentiq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer. Do it once and forget it
-Wax = Thus again? Coat it. Also proofread your lists to ensure no duplication
-Sealant, if not one in the same with wax = see above
-Detailer Spray for in between = CG V7 if you're into garbage, Optimum Car Wax if not
-Rim Cleaner for black rims = Sonax Full Effect
-Tire Cleaner = APC diluted 5:1 and a tuff shine tire brush
-Tire Shine = let's leave the lipstick to the cheesy full service car wash guys, k?

Maybe I don't need all this? :) 15 years ago I was into this stuff and used Poorboys stuff. Their spray and wipe waterless wash was awesome. Used Zaino too for my black car. Seems like CGs or Adams are big around her, but CGs has 100s of waxes let alone other stuff. Much thanks for any help.
See above
Sponsored