Sponsored

Which is the best steering technique?

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Doing DE events with PCA 15-20 years ago, shuffle steering was encouraged for a number of reasons but hand over hand was not forbidden or anything. I've never tracked a car with airbags but still prefer shuffle steering because you have more contact with the wheel. That said, a lot of steering input is done with the right foot.
I used to be hand over hand & drive with my left hand at 12 o'clock, until I've had few airbags blow up in my face.
I'm a push/pull guy now.
Hmmm... I shuffle and I've never even seen an airbag deploy other than on videos.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I think a good many of you don't understand what is being discussed here.

It doesn't matter where you place your hands while driving, we are talking about lock to lock turning... where one would be unable to hold on to the steering wheel while turning it, thus having to use one of the methods discussed.

Turning the wheel while you hands are still holding the same position on the wheels, (as NoVaGT mentioned), is not what is being discussed. We are talking about when you can no longer hold those position and your hands would be crossed up... do you shimmy/shuffle the steering wheel, or wrap the steering wheel hand over hand...?

I honestly don't find, or see shimmy as a precise, or efficient means of hitting a hard corner.

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thought we were talking steering technique, not lock to lock precisely...Did not catch that in OP's post as the only use case scenario.
In the end you will resort to using what ever method you think is the best for the situation you are in, normal driving, track driving and emergency situations may/will all have different methods used.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Shuffle. Hands never leave the wheel nor move over center. Much more control and manageable leverage. On both the street and track, steering inputs are modest and precise. Not talking about parking or taking a standard street corner.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
City: left hand at 12 and right hand on the shifter. Mode = comfort (don't judge me)

Highway: hook thumbs in spokes. Mode = normal

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The technique that doesn't land you in a crowd.

But in all seriousness, I use 10 - 2 position, pull hand over hand on autocross, and I certainly hope I never have to make that much of a turn on the road course...:shock:

But part of it is all preference too. There is an autocross national champion in our SCCA region that uses one handed dial turning at times...no joke. He knows it's stupid but he just happens to do it sometimes. But it doesn't take away from his continual stompage of F Street. F**king asshole lol.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
City: left hand at 12 and right hand on the shifter. Mode = comfort (don't judge me)

Highway: hook thumbs in spokes. Mode = normal
I'll take my cues from this CHP-approved grip...
drive04s.jpg

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Shuffle. Hands never leave the wheel nor move over center. Much more control and manageable leverage. On both the street and track, steering inputs are modest and precise. Not talking about parking or taking a standard street corner.
So you don't keep your hand on the same place on the wheel and just turn the wheel.. (almost locking your hands, but never taking them off the wheel)...? But instead, keep your hand at the exact same orientation and just shimmy the wheel as you turn..?

I just don't get how that could be precise, given how steering wheels are made. (I know formula 1 driver go hand over hand, ie: crosshand).

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I've been watching a lot of in car camera WRC races and alike. Hand over hand is definitely the favored steering technique.
On the street normal driving push/pull, shuffle, whatever you wanna call it was more of an annoyance, jerky, & less precise.

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
What an interesting question. I was taught to have my hands at around 10 to 2 or a quarter to 3 AT THE APEX. That was the Advanced Driving Technique early 1970’s on track and I still use it today.

It was definitely the old rally driving technique as well. Not sure what they do these days.

It became a matter of discussion when I build a race car with very heavy nonpowered Manual Steering and 300 wide front slicks about 10 years ago. It was BRILLIANT if you used my technique.

However my co - drivers were all young guns and very fast drivers with international experience. They ALL used hand over hand and all said after their first VERY FAST P1 qualifying stints “This car would be even faster with power steering,”

Problem was with the LS V8 and Dry Sump pump crammed in the engine bay of an FDRX-7 there was no room for even an electric powered steering. Dry Sump was essential pulling 2.6 G’s so I never fitted power steering.

Either technique is OK IMO. The airbag issue might be better with 15 minutes to 3...

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Are we all talking the same kind of hand over hand technique? Maybe I misunderstood.
The video the OP put up shows hand over hand which requires you to remove one hand and go over the top of the other hand and continue that until desired turn radius.
A formula 1 steering wheel only allows hands at 9 and 3, and they do not remove their hands from the wheel. So yes they cross hand, meaning their hands will cross over anything past a 90 deg turn in the steering wheel. Is this what everyone is calling hand over hand, or the technique in the video OP put up.
Sponsored