Sponsored

Which is the best spark plug wire set to get?

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
What's the difference between these spark plug wire sets below?
What is the original spark plug wire size on a 1988 Mustang GT?
Between the spark plug wires sets below which one is most preferred? :confused: Taylor, Spiro Pro 8 mm wires by Taylor, Ford Racing Performance Parts, Motorcraft, or LiveWire Spark Plug Wires by Performance Distributors?
Keep in mind this is for a factory stock 1988 Mustang GT.

1984-1995 Ford Mustang 5.0L Spark Plug Wires (EFI) - by Motorcraft

#WR-4017C
Genuine Motorcraft replacement spark plug wires work great for stock applications. Great for restorations requiring factory parts! Near-original appearance with the grey-colored wires! Enjoy a fresh set of Motorcraft wires on your 1984-95 F... Read More
Relevance: 4.615166

$44.99

1986-1995 Ford Mustang 5.0 5.8 Livewires Spark Plug Wire Set Red - by Performance Distributors

space Age, Heat Resistant Sleeving Provides Protection from Exhaust Heat Custom Fit - No Assembly Required Numbered on Each End for Correct Cylinder Durable Silicone Jacket and Insulation Spiral Wound Core Prevents Electronic Interf... [URL="http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PDI-C9057RD/1986-95-Mustang-50L-58L-Red-Livewires-Spark-Plug-Wire-Set"]Read More

[/URL] Relevance: 4.639391

$109.99

Sponsored

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
Just get a good quality spiral-wound suppression core set. You don't want either a plain carbon core or a solid core. Check through the offerings that Summit has, and consider one of their house branded sets. Of those you show above, the Taylor "Spiro-Pro" could be what you (I would) want. :)

OP
OP

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
Just get a good quality spiral-wound suppression core set. You don't want either a plain carbon core or a solid core. Check through the offerings that Summit has, and consider one of their house branded sets. Of those you show above, the Taylor "Spiro-Pro" could be what you (I would) want. :)
tHANKS for that info:headbang:
I ended up ordering the 9mm Ford Racing blue spark plug wire. I can probably return it but I won't get it until sometime next week.

Pictures

Upload an Image

Looking for a better wireset than what you have? Want to dress up that dull engine bay a little? Slap a set of Ford Racing's Blue wireset on there and enjoy the increased MPG's and Performance from your 1979-95 Ford Mustang 5.0/5.8L! more info
Your Price: $44.99

I put on today a High Standard "Blue Streak" distributor cap and rotor. It's brass and is suppose to be as good as OEM if not better. Can you believe it that on the distributor cap on the side cracked:shrug: It's all secure and with the 2 clips in place with rubber boot. Runs fine so far. But I have never had a distributor cap crack when installing especially one that is suppose to be of quality at the cost of $29.00:doh:

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
...I put on today a High Standard "Blue Streak" distributor cap and rotor. It's brass and is suppose to be as good as OEM if not better. Can you believe it that on the distributor cap on the side cracked:shrug: It's all secure and with the 2 clips in place with rubber boot. Runs fine so far. But I have never had a distributor cap crack when installing especially one that is suppose to be of quality at the cost of $29.00:doh:
I can believe it. Nothing seems quite as well made as it once was. Standard Blue Streak+ ignition parts used to be very good quality stuff, though. Their points sets were better than just about any other that I remember, but that was in the '70s, and when it was all USA made. :)

OP
OP

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
I can believe it. Nothing seems quite as well made as it once was. Standard Blue Streak+ ignition parts used to be very good quality stuff, though. Their points sets were better than just about any other that I remember, but that was in the '70s, and when it was all USA made. :)
Well the distributor cap here is made in the USA. The rotor is made en Mexico. (both parts brass-factory ford was aluminum?)
I bought this Standard brand in these parts before a few years ago and had no problem fitting them on and now this?:eyebulge:(crack) but I took the car out and it does run better now with the new distributor (small crack on side:mad:) and new rotor. (hopefully small crack won't become a problem).:mad:
When I get new spark plugs wires next week that will complete it. I am just doing these little things a little at a time just to see if each change makes a difference or if I can feel the difference. Thus far it has from changing Oxygen sensor, then spark plugs, then distributor cap n rotor all about a week apart. "Check Engine light" doesn't come on as much like it used to.:shrug:after each and every one of these changes.

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have only run the Ford Racing 9 mm wires on my cars. My mustang now makes 925 rwhp and 825 of torque on 27 lbs of boost through those wires.

OP
OP

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
I have only run the Ford Racing 9 mm wires on my cars. My mustang now makes 925 rwhp and 825 of torque on 27 lbs of boost through those wires.
Perhaps it won't make a difference on a factory stock car like mine at least that's what the salesperson on phone said. That was between the Taylor Spiral sparkplug wire set vs. the Ford Racing 9mm $44.99. I think the Taylor was maybe 10.00 more.:shrug:

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
I put on today a High Standard "Blue Streak" distributor cap and rotor. It's brass and is suppose to be as good as OEM if not better. Can you believe it that on the distributor cap on the side cracked:shrug: It's all secure and with the 2 clips in place with rubber boot. Runs fine so far. But I have never had a distributor cap crack when installing especially one that is suppose to be of quality at the cost of $29.00:doh:
I work part time at Advance Auto Parts & we see cracked parts all the time. We always open the box & check them before we give them to the customer. You should always check them at the store before you leave with the part so you don't have to make a trip back to return it later!

Our 88GT only has 28K miles and is factory original. I put the Motorcraft wires on to keep that OEM look. The FRP 9s should be fine on your car. The only caution I would make is that some wires are not very well shielded and can cause static / interference with your radio.

OP
OP

shelbystang

Threads
Reaction score
I work part time at Advance Auto Parts & we see cracked parts all the time. We always open the box & check them before we give them to the customer. You should always check them at the store before you leave with the part so you don't have to make a trip back to return it later!

Our 88GT only has 28K miles and is factory original. I put the Motorcraft wires on to keep that OEM look. The FRP 9s should be fine on your car. The only caution I would make is that some wires are not very well shielded and can cause static / interference with your radio.
The distributor cap was fine when I bought it. It was during the install for some reason it wouldn't fit correctly. I have done this too many times before with no problem. I can usually fit cap within 30 to 60 seconds maybe even less as this car is easy. It cracked in the process of install. Maybe my engine compartment is shrinking over time?:headbonk:
I had the factory ford cap next to it and it went back on no problem??:rant: