Sponsored

When you went shopping for a muscle car did you consider a Charger or a Challenger?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I tested out a 2018 challenger hellcat and a 2020 charger and challenger scatpack. Just wasnt for me. They were fun though, and if i were in the market for a 4 door, the charger scatpack or hellcat would definitely be up there on my list.

They just felt so large, and imo not confidence inspiring once you get over 60mph. They felt really floaty. They are comfortable though.
Sponsored

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Good question, Challenger seemed to have a little more pull, I'd say. But really 2 vastly different cars in most ways, except vehicle segment.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I owned a 1972 Barracuda. It was big. When I checked out new Challenger, it seemed bigger, probably I had driven a VW Jetta and Audi A4. Mustang seemed just a right size. Never owned one before, so here I am bought a Mustang.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When I went shopping for my '08 GT, I didn't consider either the Charger or the Challenger at all. Too big, too heavy, and in 2008 they were automatic transmission only (a deal-breaker all by itself).

They're still too big and too heavy, and hard cornering has been my thing way over big power and straight lines since about forever. So they're still off my short list even though they're now available with a 6MT.

I did once sort-of consider a Challenger. That was about 50 years ago when I test-drove an AAR Cuda (Plymouth's entry to the early Trans-Am road-race series). But the dealership wouldn't even try to work with me. The car I tested came with the automatic but I'd made it very clear to the sales guy that I would only consider a stick-shift car for actual purchase. He balked, I walked, and I've only been in a Dodge or Plymouth showroom once in all the years since.

I don't think they're bad cars - the Challenger in particular has been done up as a very nice interpretation of the AAR Cuda that I'd have bought all those years ago - but they just aren't a very good fit for what either of us wants in our cars any more.

Norm

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm not positive yet but, once I pay the Roush off I want to order myself a Hellcat Charger widebody for my daily driver. One of the hottest looking cars on the road in my opinion. Oh, and fastest. lol
I'm not too concerned about the inclement weather so much any more as it's not as bad as years back. I remember 5 years back and more, the winters would be really bad, not so much anymore.

We'll see how it goes.

Sponsored

jmack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2002 F-250 7.3 PSD
I did test drive a Challenger R/T but immediately dismissed it from my short list. I was looking for a sports car to be a good middle point between my C6 Corvette and BMW 440i, when I was selling both. The Challenger certainly is not that, the 5.7 is slower than an Ecoboost, and while the 397s are fast, they handle like a yacht.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I travel a lot for work so get in a lot of rentals. I drove a v6? Challenger that felt like "grandpas car" and a v8 Charger. I very much enjoyed the Charger and really wanted a Daytona bad. When I was shopping it was between the Charger and Mustang. Dodge is too proud of their HP and the mustang fits me perfectly. The only time I wish for a Charger now is when a 3rd person needs a ride. I still think they look great.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Too Big Too Heavy and I have an aversion to cars with iron blocks and aluminum heads. That said, this was in my garage last night because my wife rented it while her car was in the shop:

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

Nice rental - in sport mode with TC off, I was able to act in a anti-social manner,

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I test drove a 15 Scat Pack Challenger when I bought my 18 and I thought it was good looking in the Sublime green and retro touches. I liked all the torque and the sound of the 392, the ZF is a great transmission, too. It really felt huge and floaty in comparison to the Mustang, though. While the Challenger had more premium options than my car, mine had far less miles and was an 18 that had only been owned for 4 months. It was a no brainer to go with the Mustang. Really the only thing that would interest me would be something like a C8, M2 Comp or Giulia Quadrifoglio. The only way I'll be driving anything more expensive or exotic than that is in a Forza game.
Sponsored