When to get wheel alignment?

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
Was wondering how often you guys do it, and how far out of spec you've been?

I've always had trash cars so I never really bothered with alignment. But I hit a monster Wayne County pothole over the weekend and it got me thinking.

The hole destroyed my right rear tire- a sharp edge ripped the side right open. Thankfully the rubber peeled up and protected the rim when the wheel dropped in. Brought it to the dealer since I needed some warranty work done anyways and they said none of the rims have any cracks. I checked myself and it looked OK.

Thing is, the car is tracking straight. I was thinking to just do it anyways because an alignment is only like $100, the car's got 31,000 miles, but thought it was a good idea to talk to some people who actually treat their cars with respect and confirm whether it's necessary.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With 31K miles and a hit like that, I'd definitely get it checked... if there's a competent shop to do it. But if you're getting close to changing the tires, I'd wait until then.

OP
OP
beefsupreme

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
A follow up for anyone who comes across this in the future - the Mustang evidently has a pretty robust suspension system and even with a lot of abuse flying over railroad tracks and slamming into holes in Detroit roads, it was still in alignment.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The joys of Michigan & owning a Mustang - Its a death grip on the wheel trying to avoid everything & then you look away & boom!!!

Glad it worked out - we have a great partner in your neck of the woods at MVS - if you ever need suspension work done & Steeda support, they can help!

TJ

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
A follow up for anyone who comes across this in the future - the Mustang evidently has a pretty robust suspension system and even with a lot of abuse flying over railroad tracks and slamming into holes in Detroit roads, it was still in alignment.
I do stuff like this pretty regularly. Alignment doesn’t really change.

6915028E-C284-45FA-B6D7-7A1B4259581D.gif

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I do stuff like this pretty regularly. Alignment doesn’t really change.
Hey, I like your honestly. Ha ha. Most guys would have said 'This happened to me only once, before I became an awesome driver, and my car was fine' :devil: .

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Hey, I like your honestly. Ha ha. Most guys would have said 'This happened to me only once, before I became an awesome driver, and my car was fine' :devil: .
Most autocrossers spin at least a few times per year.
Sponsored