Wheel to Hub gap?

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi all,

Please have a look at the attached pictures and see if you think this is acceptable or is something wrong here? Should the wheel sit up 100% flush on the hub?

Thanks!
resized wheel1.png
resized wheel2.png
Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Definitely something wrong there. Is the hub piloting in the wheel correctly? Are you using hub rings? Do not drive the car in this condition!

OP
OP
Greek6486

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's undriveable, no rings, keeps coming loose after I had them installed at a tires plus. Scary. Towing it back this morning, not sure if the wheels or install are the issue.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
I would check the wheel hub pilot diameter. What kind of wheels are they?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Absolutely not.

This commonly happens if the wheel has centering ring that is either wrong diameter or got misplaced (aftermarket wheels have bore diameter that is larger than hub diameter on the car and therefore require centering rings for concentricity) or the wheels you previously had on was using a ring and it stayed on the hub.

Nuts will be getting loose and you will vibrations from unbalance.

First thing I would do is jack it up, take the wheel off and see what is going on. No need to tow it, likely something you can fix yourself unless something is very wrong.

Sponsored

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
Sounds like improper clearance of the hub dia. on the wheel, wheel might have to be machined out or possible rust build up on the hub of the vehicle are the main causes. If a wheel manufacturer doesn't account for paint in the hub dia clearance dimensions this will happen

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
No sir that wheel should be sitting on that hub tight, Do you have any rust on the CB that may cause it to not fit in all the way?

What wheels?

OP
OP
Greek6486

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, JPC(not the installer) said it's the hub diameter that needs to be bored out like mentioned above. I'm not going to mention who made these wheels, things happen, but let's see if I can get this fixed properly just from grinding. No rust on my hub, 7500 miles on the car.

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
Thanks guys, JPC(not the installer) said it's the hub diameter that needs to be bored out like mentioned above. I'm not going to mention who made these wheels, things happen, but let's see if I can get this fixed properly just from grinding. No rust on my hub, 7500 miles on the car.
Be careful with grinding as grinding by hand you may not have a circle when it is done.

OP
OP
Greek6486

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good news, the problem wasn't the wheels, it was the idiots from Tires Plus that put my hub ring from my old wheels on and caused this issue!! They could have killed me!

Sponsored

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Good news, the problem wasn't the wheels, it was the idiots from Tires Plus that put my hub ring from my old wheels on and caused this issue!! They could have killed me!
Did you drive it like that at all? If so, you should replace your wheel studs - that kind of shear force on them is NOT good and I would be concerned about them going forward - especially if you track the car. Bring it to a Ford dealer, have them do it right and get your wheel installer to foot the bill.

OP
OP
Greek6486

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you drive it like that at all? If so, you should replace your wheel studs - that kind of shear force on them is NOT good and I would be concerned about them going forward - especially if you track the car. Bring it to a Ford dealer, have them do it right and get your wheel installer to foot the bill.
I drove it about a mile total, your right I should make them pay for the studs. Really awful.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Glad you got it figured out. As others said, I'd probably replace the studs. Lugs as well. But that's just me.
Sponsored