Wheel Offset - Effects on Steering/Handling

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by \dave, Jan 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. \dave

\dave Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
    0   0   0
    I'm adding a lighter wheelset (18x8 OZ wheels (likely) with 235/50 Pilot Sport 4S - dropping between 9 to 11 pounds per corner over my stock setup). My stock wheels and tires are the same size as the lighter set above, and my stock wheels have a +40 mm offset. The OZ wheels are available in either a +35 mm or +45 mm offset, but not 40.

Both OZ offsets fit my car, but I have not located much information on the steering and handling effects of offset changes, except one article that recommends not straying beyond a 5 mm change without considering effects on alignment/suspension. I don't want to make any changes to the car as I will swap between my two wheel sets. Does anyone know how handling would change with either of the two 5 mm offset changes? Also, would it be feasible to go with +45 and a 5 mm spacer to achieve +40 (the wheels come with hubcentric hub rings)?

Conversely, anyone have an alternate 18x8 +40 wheel recommendation which is TUV certified?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. Grintch

Grintch Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT PP
    0   0   0
    Lots of guys who went from +45 PP fronts to +25 to fit wider wheels and tires. The benefits of the wider rubber far outweight the negatives of increased scrub radius, etc. from changing the offset.

Speaking of, no way I would ever put a dinky 8" wheel on a heavy Mustang S550.