Sponsored

What's the deal with part prices - used vs new??

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not new to modifying / wrenching on vehicles, just new to Ford and Mustangs. I'll admit though this has me a bit confused...

For instance, I'm planning on adding the Performance Pack front and rear swaybars to my '17 V6. I can get OEM FORD parts, BRAND NEW, SHIPPED to me (two bars, two bushings - the PP front bar comes with the brackets / bushings) for @ $130. USED front swaybars + shipping are running close to $100 or even more on Ebay etc.

Are people really paying that for used parts on Ebay etc without looking around at all? Is this normal?
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I think it just depends. I shop around quiet a bit before buying. I don't become loyal to one seller or another. There are many places that charge more for pieces then what they're likely worth, though there is no guarantee they're selling at that price.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I'm not new to modifying / wrenching on vehicles, just new to Ford and Mustangs. I'll admit though this has me a bit confused...

For instance, I'm planning on adding the Performance Pack front and rear swaybars to my '17 V6. I can get OEM FORD parts, BRAND NEW, SHIPPED to me (two bars, two bushings - the PP front bar comes with the brackets / bushings) for @ $130. USED front swaybars + shipping are running close to $100 or even more on Ebay etc.

Are people really paying that for used parts on Ebay etc without looking around at all? Is this normal?
It isn't like a sway bar goes bad unless you get into an accident and bend it. It's just a formed piece of metal. So I believe the close prices from new to used. If it was the sway bar bushing, there would be a bigger price gap.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It isn't like a sway bar goes bad unless you get into an accident and bend it. It's just a formed piece of metal. So I believe the close prices from new to used. If it was the sway bar bushing, there would be a bigger price gap.
I understand that - but $100 shipped for the REAR bar - USED - when the brand new OEM bar is less than $60 SHIPPED.

Reactions: Ebm

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I understand that - but $100 shipped for the REAR bar - USED - when the brand new OEM bar is less than $60 SHIPPED.
I think he missed where $130 was for both; I missed that as well the first time. The price discrepancy I can't explain, except on eBay sometimes people are dreaming on the ask price and/or trying to make up the eBay and PayPal fees.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I often think some people who shop EBAY are just clueless... I buy "antique" motorcycle parts and can often get them from the motorcycle dealer, NOS, for much less than used on EBAY.

Last edited:

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
People are unrealistic about their prices. They want to get out the money they put into it.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah outside of used GT350 things I normally buy new unless it is a really good deal.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I still can't wrap my head around the price of exhaust for these cars, you'd think that crap was made of solid unobtainium. In the mid 2000's I could get full stainless ARH long tubes with cats and a full catback for my F-body for the price of an axleback for this car.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I think he missed where $130 was for both; I missed that as well the first time. The price discrepancy I can't explain, except on eBay sometimes people are dreaming on the ask price and/or trying to make up the eBay and PayPal fees.
This

Sorry man, I missed that. If it's both for $130, then yeah, people on eBay have been hitting the pipe.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
This

Sorry man, I missed that. If it's both for $130, then yeah, people on eBay have been hitting the pipe.
Not only that, the $130 is the PP bar (which includes bushings / brackets) and the PP rear bar + bushings (uses same bracket as V6 rear bar).

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6

I have owned many many cars and do mods to all of them. Mustang parts for the S550 are so over priced period. Everything is hundreds of dollars even if it is just molded plastic. I think I know why but will keep it to myself.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned many many cars and do mods to all of them. Mustang parts for the S550 are so over priced period. Everything is hundreds of dollars even if it is just molded plastic. I think I know why but will keep it to myself.
That's what I find ironic though...new OEM parts for this car are on the whole REALLY reasonable compared to other brands / models.

I was actually kind of shocked how big the aftermarket was for the S550. Maybe I shouldn't be...Fox Body Mustangs essentially became the 55-57 Chevy of the 90's - 2000's.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Well - ironically enough - this very subject just reared its head on Ebay. So I was watching a complete take off 4 piston GT Brake set. 14" rotors, calipers and hoses. A no brainer upgrade for my V6 car. I'd already priced everything out before I set my max bid. So I got outbid. The setup went for $255+$75 shipping.

I just bought used calipers for $130 shipped. I bought new rotors for $108 shipped. New brake lines for $39 shipped and I'm getting ready to order new pads for $30 shipped.

I planned on taking the calipers apart and painting them (BC/CC) anyway so I ordered a pair of rebuild kits for the calipers - $18 shipped for both.

So for $5 less than the Ebay selling price, I'll have all new / rebuilt parts.

Someone was willing to pay more than me for used parts. I get that. I just wonder if anyone actually does any research before clicking BID? LOL

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I sometimes wonder if the process of bidding gets under bidder's skin and they have to win, but then they lose.
Sponsored