OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Carpro Perl 101 – A Picture of Versatility.

Carpro Perl is one of those products everyone should have in their detailing arsenal. Perl is an Si02 enhanced water-based dressing for interior and exterior uses. Perl can be used to enhance the appearance of tires, rubber, plastics, vinyl and even leather. It will also provide an element of UV protection and is said to offer superior water repellence than other similar products. The finish of Perl is best described as matte to semi-gloss, depending on dilution ratio.

cpp102.jpg

For interior dressing, Perl is best diluted at 1:5 in a spray bottle using distilled water. This dilution will give a milky consistency for ease of application using a towel or applicator pad. If find it does need a follow up wipe after 15-20min to level it down. In most cases, you would use Perl on plastic surfaces, however it can also be used to dress leather/leather like trim. I would probably not use it for leather myself as it makes seats too slippery. Another interior use would be to refresh rubber floor mats, I would use this sparingly to avoid a slippery surface.

ax11.jpg

For unpainted exterior trims and wheel arch liners, Perl is best diluted to 1:3, again using distilled water to limit variability. Apply the product into a towel or applicator pad and work it in. Avoid spraying Perl directly onto the surface to reduce over-application or drips. Depending on weather conditions, you will get 2 – 6 weeks out of Perl when used on exterior surfaces.

Perl can also be used to dress your engine bay plastics. For this use, dilute at 1:1 to 1:3.

IMG-2431.jpg

Perl’s best application though is as a tire dressing, and I think this is what most tend to use it for to be honest. Carpro recommend a 1:0 (Neat/Undiluted) or 1:1 for tires, myself, I prefer it undiluted straight from the bottle. Apply evenly to the tire with the aid of a brush or foam applicator pad. After 15-20min, you can wipe off any excess if desired. Undiluted and without a final wipe, Perl will be at it’s glossiest. Diluted and wiped, you will have a matte appearance. Because Perl is water based, it is unlikely to sling onto the bodywork. Another observation, I have found Perl to be one of the best dressings for Michelin PS4S’s.

IMG-0049.jpg

IMG-2570.jpg

IMG-2580.jpg

A couple of product specific notes –

-Perl undiluted is far too thick to be dispensed through a sprayer. If you want to use Perl like this, I would add a pop-top lid to make dispensing simpler. (I repurposed an old Adams one)

IMG-8578.jpg

IMG-1409.jpg

feb2127.jpg

-If you are dumb with math like I am, finding something to make calculating dilutions is key. This website is very simple to use and will make your dilutions accurate.

Dilution Ratio Calculator (omnicalculator.com)

-Carpro Dilute bottles are a very easy way to mix up dilutions, available in 500 and 1000ml sizes. I have both but always end up using the smaller size. Simply fill the bottle with (distilled) water to the ratio line on the bottle, then fill the rest of the way with the product.

cpd101.jpg

IMG-0203.jpg

IMG-0205.jpg

-Unless you are a pro-detailer, the 500ml bottle will be more than enough for most people.

-A microfiber pad is the best way to apply Perl to interior or exterior trim. Have a towel on hand to knock it back if desired.

-For tires when diluted to 1:1, spray the product into the head of a detailing brush and work it in. When used neat, I prefer a foam applicator.

IMG-0347.jpg

IMG-0348.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

-For engine bays, most definitely dilute Perl to the 1:3 as it allows for a more natural finish. I also find that the runnier consistency can be distributed better here. I like to mist the various black plastic surfaces with the product, then use compressed air to distribute it into all of the grooves and crevices. Hold a towel in the other hand to shield excessive splash.

IMG-2419.jpg

IMG-2433.jpg

IMG-2438.jpg

IMG-2441.jpg

It actually took me a while to fully appreciate Carpro Perl. My first bottle took me a long time to use up, but it now gets regular use. Well worth having.
Sponsored

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
Really like to read about all the versatility. It definitely seems like CarPro products hold an edge on others.

For tire dressing, how does it compare to NV Onyx? I picked it up on your recommendation and have really enjoyed it so far.

For others in thread - quick PSA. Koch GSF is looking scarce on Amazon currently. I grabbed a 5 liter yesterday just be to safe.

3E20065B-0DB5-46C1-B8BF-1723B0A62B14.jpeg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Really like to read about all the versatility. It definitely seems like CarPro products hold an edge on others.

For tire dressing, how does it compare to NV Onyx? I picked it up on your recommendation and have really enjoyed it so far.

For others in thread - quick PSA. Koch GSF is looking scarce on Amazon currently. I grabbed a 5 liter yesterday just be to safe.

Firstly, Koch Chemie GSF. I could not buy GSF for about 10months due every supplier being sold out across Australia. Shipping delays meant a lot of other Koch products were sold out as well. I was rationing my small supply of GSF until recently, where I paid through the nose for the massive increase in price. For me, the product speaks for itself, it's brilliant and therefore I paid the money to enjoy its user experience.

I have three main soaps that I shuffle through for maintenance washing; Carpro Reset, NV and GSF ..........probably that order in ranking as well.

Reset is a stronger cleaner despite remaining pH neutral, so I would probably only use this on coated vehicles or as an occasional stronger cleansing. In my opinion, it's the slickest soap I have ever used, and the scent is intoxicating.

NV Snow is what I use the most, it's almost as slick as GSF and Reset, but for me in Australia, more affordable. I also find that it's a brilliant pre-soak on dirtier vehicles, helping to strip off road grime prior to a contact wash. The scent is nice too, just not the knockout the other two are.

GSF on the other hand is just a joy to use, the smell forms a large part of that, but slickness and foam quality ern praise too. Having said all that, the differences between all three are extremely minor, all are 9/10 and above performers so the choice of any would not disappoint.

In terms of Carpro overall, they are at the top of the tree for a reason. I have tried and used a large percentage of their range and only one or two I would say are less than brilliant. You can say similar things about other premium brands including Gyeon, Gtechniq, NV, Koch Chemie and P&S.

As for NV Onyx, I'm so pleased you have been using it. Onyx is at the top of my favorites list and really is a hidden gem. As soon as you open the bottle, the caramel scent makes you smile. What makes me most excited about Onyx is the smoothness in which it applies and its ability to deliver an even coating. The finish is anywhere between semi-gloss to matte.

may58.jpg

may59.jpg

oct2722.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

As a man with currently 11 different tire dressing in the cabinet, I can say it's right at the top of that list. The only two that give it a run for it's money for me at the moment would be Carpro Perl and Koch Chemie Plast Star.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Your wheels really set your car off. Looks awesome 👍👍👍

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Koch Chemie GS Green Star – A Versatile All Purpose Cleaner.

mar2122.jpg

All Purpose Cleaners (APC) are a staple of any detailer’s arsenal. These cleaners are high alkaline chemicals used for heavy duty cleaning, and it’s that alkalinity that gives them their power. Up until recent years, I never had an APC in my cabinet. My introduction to these cleaners was via the consumer grade pre-mixed Meguiar’s Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Cleaner, followed by Auto Finesse VERSO.

IMG-2885.jpg

IMG-6855.jpg

The Meguiar’s version was pretty forgettable, probably due to it being premixed for user friendliness. VERSO on the other hand is a dilutable product, allowing users to select a dilution that suits the task at hand. I would say VERSO was good, but not great.

Enter Koch Chemie GS Green Star –

gs102.jpg

Firstly, a little run down on Koch Chemie product color gradings. Each product category is assigned to a color to help users understand when and where particular products are used or selected from. Koch will also print the product pH level on the bottle where required. In relation to Green Star, green represents an Alkaline chemical and it’s pH level is 12.5 (very high).

kochpo102.jpg

kochpo101.png

Like all APC’s, Green Star can be used to clean a variety of surfaces, including engines, wheels, tyres, glass, interior plastics, interior fabric, carpets and even workshop floors. Depending on application, GS can be diluted from 1:5 right out to 1:30, this is a product that shouldn’t be used undiluted. In use, Green Star can be left to dwell for a short period and will foam up under agitation. It’s scent is not especially pleasing, but hardly offensive.

Application and Dilutions –

-For interior cleaning, Koch recommend a 1:10 to 1:20 dilution. While GS can be used to clean fabric and carpet, I prefer to use Koch Chemie PO Pol Star as it’s a gentler cleaner on these materials. For stained, dirty or oily interior plastics, Green Star is a brilliant cleaner. You can also use it to clean dirty rubber mats.

mar2123.jpg

IMG-1779.jpg

44f.jpg

-For exterior cleaning, Green Star can be used from 1:30 to 1:5 depending on cleaning power required. I have GS mixed at 1:8 for heavy duty jobs, say engine bay cleaning. You can use a strong dilution for cleaning wheels, tires and wheel arches. It’s foaming ability makes it suitable for adding to a pH neutral soap to increase it’s cleaning power.

IMG-0371.jpg

IMG-0375.jpg

jun233.jpg

IMG-0448.jpg

Application Notes –

-For interior cleaning, either apply directly to the surface, into a towel or brush and then agitate. Green Star will begin to foam as it dissolves and lifts grime. Then remove any residue with a clean, damp towel.

-For exterior cleaning, it’s best to rinse away any residue after use. Being heavily alkaline, you do not want this product to dry on any surface. Do not use on hot surfaces.

-When using in a foam cannon with a soap, likewise, be mindful of the product drying on the surface. Work quickly, do smaller sections at a time or wash in the shade to avoid possible chemical etching. On absolutely filthy vehicles, I have found adding Green Star to a soap really helps cut through an accumulation of grime.

-At stronger dilutions, be mindful that the alkalinity may reduce the life span of your sprayer heads. Try to choose alkaline chemical resistant sprayers.

-When diluting, you would preferably use distilled/demineralized water to avoid possible variables from tap water.

IMG-0199.jpg

-I have used Green Star for cleaning very dirty floors. It even cleans dirty workbenches or even a lawn mower.

Koch Chemie Green Star is available in both 1000ml bottles, 5lt or 10lt drums. At under $20.00, a 1000ml bottle will go a long way once diluted. A great all-round product.

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Hey, @DFB5.0 time for your daily quiz!

Say you went out on a drive to another city for lunch with family. And you came back home only to discover you had about half of Toronto's peasant sauce all over the back of your car from the highway drive. Oil? Tar? Dirt? You know how these things pick it up on the highway.

What would you use to just wipe down the back? It being ceramic coated and all? Not doing a full wash.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey, @DFB5.0 time for your daily quiz!

Say you went out on a drive to another city for lunch with family. And you came back home only to discover you had about half of Toronto's peasant sauce all over the back of your car from the highway drive. Oil? Tar? Dirt? You know how these things pick it up on the highway.

What would you use to just wipe down the back? It being ceramic coated and all? Not doing a full wash.
I guess without doing a full wash, you would be doing a rinse-less or water-less wash using something like ONR or N-914. You would use a tar remover to spot treat affected areas after the "wash". I would also be sure to remove any tar remover residue with your water/rinse-less product. A rinse-less or water-less wash can sometimes be more time-consuming and you need an appropriate number of towels to do these methods safely.

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG-2995.jpg

If the car is very dirty with a lot of tar/oil contamination, I would rather wait until I could do a full wash with plenty of water and use of appropriate chemicals.

Reactions: MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
If the car is very dirty with a lot of tar/oil contamination, I would rather wait until I could do a full wash with plenty of water and use of appropriate chemicals.
It's not a lot. In fact it might not even be tar. More like oil and highway residue from traffic. I'll take her out of the garage later today if it stops raining and see. I may just wash the back end from the rear quarter panels, trunk and bumper cover.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's not a lot. In fact it might not even be tar. More like oil and highway residue from traffic. I'll take her out of the garage later today if it stops raining and see. I may just wash the back end from the rear quarter panels, trunk and bumper cover.
Why can't you do a full wash?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Why can't you do a full wash?
I'm only allowed to touch 1/3 of the car during the week? Nawwww it's a time thing. Friday was a good hour and a half to do it right. The thought of doing 1.5 hours after work is exhausting lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I'm only allowed to touch 1/3 of the car during the week? Nawwww it's a time thing. Friday was a good hour and a half to do it right. The thought of doing 1.5 hours after work is exhausting lol
I'm a gardener and plant nursery salesman by day, as you can imagine, a pretty physical job. So is detailing. So, I totally get the not "working" after work thing. I get my detailing fix in the evenings by writing about detailing instead.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)

Smaller bottle of GSF is gone on Amazon - guess I'm spending $100 now

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The last week has been pretty stressful, mostly at work. So, I really needed the therapy of solitude that only Detailing brings me. Plan was to wash the Ranger, it got quite filthy after a full mowing run this week, and I also wanted to wash the Mustang as well. My plan would change after doing the Ranger though.

This week, I wanted to use a product that has been sitting at the back of the cabinet for a while now, Carpro EliXir, used with a Gauntlet drying towel. EliXir is a quick detailer / drying aid that really makes paint look like glass.

IMG-3957.jpg

I also applied Koch Chemie GUF to the floor mat. I decanted this into a Kwazar for an easier application, although it would seem this sprayer head has failed. No problem, it gives me an excuse to go shopping! :giggle:

IMG-3959.jpg

With the Ranger all done, I was gearing up to do the Mustang until I had a change of mind.

We have a cleaner come for two hours a week to help out around the house. I'm happy to pay for the service if it means one less thing I have to worry about. The irony is that while she cleans indoors, I'm outdoors cleaning cars. When you let someone into your home like this, you tend to get to know them quite well. She had been needing a newer car for a while now, her Holden VY Commodore had clocked up 260,000 miles / 420,000 km's and was starting to need a round of extensive repairs to keep it on the road. After running it past me a couple of weeks ago, she picked up her new car on Saturday.

IMG-3962.jpg

It's a July build 2010 Ford FG Falcon XT in a color called Ego, a dark grey with a lovely level of multi-hued metal flake. It's only just run in with 130,000km on the clock from its original owner.

I'm really happy for her, it's a nice upgrade and she was praising how smooth and effortless it was to drive, I smiled and said, well it's a Falcon. I then offered to detail it for right then and there. She had dropped a few hints in previous weeks, so I sort of knew I would be doing it sooner rather than later, today was so nice outside I though now was as good as any to do it. I had everything already set up so that I could fit it into the two hours she would be here.

Wheels and tires got attention first, using the big guns on this car. The wheels really need to removed to get fully clean, I did my best with the time and access I had. NV Purge was used on the wheels, Brake Buster to do the tires and wheel arches. I actually destroyed one of my old red Speedmaster brushes on this car, never mind, I know where to get another. :like:

IMG-3965.jpg

IMG-3967.jpg

IMG-3969.jpg

I didn't screw around with cleaning the paint, it was straight to Carpro Descale. I love, love, love this soap. I pre-soaked, cleaned the crevices with a brush, rinsed, re-foamed and then did the contact wash.

IMG-3970.jpg

IMG-3973.jpg

IMG-3976.jpg

It's been a long time since I have felt paint this rough and crunchy. If I wasn't time limited, the car would have benefited from a clay, but I decided to at least give it a chemical decontamination with Carpro IronX.

IMG-3977.jpg

After extensive rinsing to remove the IronX residue, I went over the whole car with Hydr02. There was absolutely nothing on the paint, as much as anything, the Hydr02 makes the drying process quicker and easier.

Into the garage, I blew the car down and used OG Drying Aid to ramp up the gloss. Again, time limited, I know this product provides a good level of protection and water repellency while being quick and easy to apply.

IMG-3981.jpg

I then raced around the car, drying/cleaning the door jambs with ONR, cleaning the glass inside and out, vacuumed, wiped the interior with Meg's QID and a generous misting of Angelwax Eden. I then dressed the tires with Koch Chemie PSS, sprayed Megs Hyper Dressing in the wheel arches and applied some Mothers Naturally Black to the rear bumper insert.

IMG-3982.jpg

IMG-3984.jpg

IMG-3985.jpg

The car looks great in the photo's, but really needs a good polish to remove some scratches, hazing and watersports. Time did not permit that. My goal was to at least make her new car look a little more new. It's funny how natural it felt washing this car, I guess I have great practice with FG's Falcon's. :wink:

When she asked how much she owed me, I told her it was on me. I know she does it tough, travelling considerable distances to work. This was my little gift to her in appreciation for what she does for us.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The last week has been pretty stressful, mostly at work. So, I really needed the therapy of solitude that only Detailing brings me. Plan was to wash the Ranger, it got quite filthy after a full mowing run this week, and I also wanted to wash the Mustang as well. My plan would change after doing the Ranger though.

This week, I wanted to use a product that has been sitting at the back of the cabinet for a while now, Carpro EliXir, used with a Gauntlet drying towel. EliXir is a quick detailer / drying aid that really makes paint look like glass.

IMG-3957.jpg

I also applied Koch Chemie GUF to the floor mat. I decanted this into a Kwazar for an easier application, although it would seem this sprayer head has failed. No problem, it gives me an excuse to go shopping! :giggle:

IMG-3959.jpg

With the Ranger all done, I was gearing up to do the Mustang until I had a change of mind.

We have a cleaner come for two hours a week to help out around the house. I'm happy to pay for the service if it means one less thing I have to worry about. The irony is that while she cleans indoors, I'm outdoors cleaning cars. When you let someone into your home like this, you tend to get to know them quite well. She had been needing a newer car for a while now, her Holden VY Commodore had clocked up 260,000 miles / 420,000 km's and was starting to need a round of extensive repairs to keep it on the road. After running it past me a couple of weeks ago, she picked up her new car on Saturday.

IMG-3962.jpg

It's a July build 2010 Ford FG Falcon XT in a color called Ego, a dark grey with a lovely level of multi-hued metal flake. It's only just run in with 130,000km on the clock from its original owner.

I'm really happy for her, it's a nice upgrade and she was praising how smooth and effortless it was to drive, I smiled and said, well it's a Falcon. I then offered to detail it for right then and there. She had dropped a few hints in previous weeks, so I sort of knew I would be doing it sooner rather than later, today was so nice outside I though now was as good as any to do it. I had everything already set up so that I could fit it into the two hours she would be here.

Wheels and tires got attention first, using the big guns on this car. The wheels really need to removed to get fully clean, I did my best with the time and access I had. NV Purge was used on the wheels, Brake Buster to do the tires and wheel arches. I actually destroyed one of my old red Speedmaster brushes on this car, never mind, I know where to get another. :like:

IMG-3965.jpg

IMG-3967.jpg

IMG-3969.jpg

I didn't screw around with cleaning the paint, it was straight to Carpro Descale. I love, love, love this soap. I pre-soaked, cleaned the crevices with a brush, rinsed, re-foamed and then did the contact wash.

IMG-3970.jpg

IMG-3973.jpg

IMG-3976.jpg

It's been a long time since I have felt paint this rough and crunchy. If I wasn't time limited, the car would have benefited from a clay, but I decided to at least give it a chemical decontamination with Carpro IronX.

IMG-3977.jpg

After extensive rinsing to remove the IronX residue, I went over the whole car with Hydr02. There was absolutely nothing on the paint, as much as anything, the Hydr02 makes the drying process quicker and easier.

Into the garage, I blew the car down and used OG Drying Aid to ramp up the gloss. Again, time limited, I know this product provides a good level of protection and water repellency while being quick and easy to apply.

IMG-3981.jpg

I then raced around the car, drying/cleaning the door jambs with ONR, cleaning the glass inside and out, vacuumed, wiped the interior with Meg's QID and a generous misting of Angelwax Eden. I then dressed the tires with Koch Chemie PSS, sprayed Megs Hyper Dressing in the wheel arches and applied some Mothers Naturally Black to the rear bumper insert.

IMG-3982.jpg

IMG-3984.jpg

IMG-3985.jpg

The car looks great in the photo's, but really needs a good polish to remove some scratches, hazing and watersports. Time did not permit that. My goal was to at least make her new car look a little more new. It's funny how natural it felt washing this car, I guess I have great practice with FG's Falcon's. :wink:

When she asked how much she owed me, I told her it was on me. I know she does it tough, travelling considerable distances to work. This was my little gift to her in appreciation for what she does for us.
Great story. I’m sure she drove off with the biggest smile on her face. :like::clap:
Sponsored