Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What's your favorite means to get dried cut and buff residue out of nooks, crannies, etc?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
While I get the meme, I really don't want to be seen that way seriously. I just love being ultra geeky about my hobby and bringing others along for the ride.
Well to me and a number of others on this forum we greatly appreciate the time and effort you take to inform and educate us. To me that is pedestal worthy. Thank you!!!!!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What's your favorite means to get dried cut and buff residue out of nooks, crannies, etc?
For shut lines and around badges, many will use a toothpick/cocktail stick wrapped in a towel. Chemical wise, use some APC, Quick Detailer or Alcohol prep-spray (Carpro Eraser). You can also get swabs that do a similar job, these look like makeup applicators. Time and patience is key for this task to avoid inadvertent damage.

IMG_1827.jpg

For polish/wax-stained black plastic trims, Meguiar's M39 is your friend. This product is extremely good at deep cleaning rubber and unpainted plastics. I find it's best applying the M39 to a towel rather than the trim itself to help avoid overspray.

IMG-0248.jpg

IMG-2404.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wednesday is the "start" of my week, in effect my "Monday". Having booked today off, it was nice to sleep till 9.30am this morning!

Two cars on the docket today. I did a quick interior and exterior detail on my Ranger, washing away two weeks' worth of road grime.

IMG-3915.jpg

Changing things up today, I grabbed some Dream Maker for the drying aid.

IMG-3918.jpg

I finished the Ranger just in time for it to be swapped with my fathers Ranger for its monthly detail.

IMG-3923.jpg

In the foam cannon today, NV Snow.

IMG-3925.jpg

IMG-3927.jpg

Needing to deal with a decent amount of road film on both vehicles today, I knew Snow was going to be the choice. I'm finding Snow is brilliant at pre-soaking prior to a contact wash, more so than Reset and GSF, allowing the grime to be mostly removed during the rinse. I'm not entirely sure why Snow is better at this task, its pH neutral like the others, but it does seem to loosen and the release dirt more efficiently.

Snow | pH-Neutral Foaming Shampoo – Nv Car Care USA
NV Snow 500ml | CARZILLA
NV SNOW | pH Neutral Wash – in2Detailing
Nv SNOW | pH Neutral Wash | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

From here, I then reform the car and do the contact wash.

IMG-3930.jpg

While rain was not predicted today, a passing showing ruined my efforts this afternoon, the Mustang and my Ranger getting wet while I worked in the garage. Not impressed! :frown:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Let me preface this by saying that the following doesn't mean I'm about to become a mechanic, I would need a hoist for that! :giggle: What it does mean is that I got sick of rummaging through a jumbled pile of crappy old tools every time I needed to fix something. As usual for me, what started out as a search for a single screwdriver turned into something rather more extensive. :facepalm:

IMG-3904.jpg

Researching, I knew I wanted to stay within the Kincrome ecosystem as I already had a number of their tools. I shortlisted three tool kits from the large tool retailer's website that suited my budget and tool requirements. These kits are not stocked at my local store so would have to be ordered in, something that didn't really bother me.

However, this purchase was a classic case of "it's not what you know, it's who you know". My old man has been in the construction industry his whole life, as such you tend to build relationships with a variety of supporting businesses. The manager of one of his suppliers is also a Kincrome dealer, so I went in and told him what I was looking for. Two of the shortlisted kits were not in stock and one of them was listed as ready to ship from Kincrome. He quoted me discounted prices on all three and said he would phone me with an ETA on the other two.

When he phoned me back, I was told the ETA would be the end of the month, but he actually had one of my shortlisted kits in stock on display. When he said that I could have it even cheaper than the price he originally quoted, I immediately told him to put my name on it and that I would come and collect it in the morning.

The Evolution Tool Chest K1219 has enough to get me started, while also allowing room to expand in the future if needed.

I challenge any man not to drool over a set of polished and perfectly lined up set of sockets and spanners. 🤤

IMG-3905.jpg

IMG-3911.jpg

IMG-3909.jpg

IMG-3913.jpg

Being a display, there were a couple of marks on the top lid of the box which I dealt with using some Sonax CutMax on my 3inch polisher. I then wiped it over with some OG Drying Aid, because why not.

It's home on top of the red tool trolley is only temporary though. I have ordered another roll cabinet to match in with the rest garage, along with some trays to organize the rest of my odd-bod tools.

rc1250.jpg

Now I just have to find something to tighten.................... :crackup:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Let me preface this by saying that the following doesn't mean I'm about to become a mechanic, I would need a hoist for that! :giggle: What it does mean is that I got sick of rummaging through a jumbled pile of crappy old tools every time I needed to fix something. As usual for me, what started out as a search for a single screwdriver turned into something rather more extensive. :facepalm:

IMG-3904.jpg

Researching, I knew I wanted to stay within the Kincrome ecosystem as I already had a number of their tools. I shortlisted three tool kits from the large tool retailer's website that suited my budget and tool requirements. These kits are not stocked at my local store so would have to be ordered in, something that didn't really bother me.

However, this purchase was a classic case of "it's not what you know, it's who you know". My old man has been in the construction industry his whole life, as such you tend to build relationships with a variety of supporting businesses. The manager of one of his suppliers is also a Kincrome dealer, so I went in and told him what I was looking for. Two of the shortlisted kits were not in stock and one of them was listed as ready to ship from Kincrome. He quoted me discounted prices on all three and said he would phone me with an ETA on the other two.

When he phoned me back, I was told the ETA would be the end of the month, but he actually had one of my shortlisted kits in stock on display. When he said that I could have it even cheaper than the price he originally quoted, I immediately told him to put my name on it and that I would come and collect it in the morning.

The Evolution Tool Chest K1219 has enough to get me started, while also allowing room to expand in the future if needed.

I challenge any man not to drool over a set of polished and perfectly lined up set of sockets and spanners. 🤤

IMG-3905.jpg

IMG-3911.jpg

IMG-3909.jpg

IMG-3913.jpg

Being a display, there were a couple of marks on the top lid of the box which I dealt with using some Sonax CutMax on my 3inch polisher. I then wiped it over with some OG Drying Aid, because why not.

It's home on top of the red tool trolley is only temporary though. I have ordered another roll cabinet to match in with the rest garage, along with some trays to organize the rest of my odd-bod tools.

rc1250.jpg

Now I just have to find something to tighten.................... :crackup:
Congrats, that is a beautiful set of tools. Even seems pretty reasonable cost wise considering the contents. If the quality is at the level of SnapOn or Mac it might even be a bargain.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Congrats, that is a beautiful set of tools. Even seems pretty reasonable cost wise considering the contents. If the quality is at the level of SnapOn or Mac it might even be a bargain.
Thanks, I'm not especially educated on these sorts of tools. Ask me what lawn mower or leaf blower to buy.............or detailing tools.............and I'm your man!

I'm not sure where Kincrome sits within the US market, but they are positioned below Snap-on here, sort of a mid-tier level. For what I will do with them, they will be more than good enough. There is a decent amount of heft to the tools and nice smooth operation.

I actually went looking at what I would need to add to fill it out and I can't really see what else I would need. I would like to get a heftier torque wrench than the one I have now, and probably a larger breaker bar too. I already have impact sockets that I will add sort into an empty drawer at some stage, along with some ratcheting spanners.

Anyway, I feel like a real man now that I have a tool kit. :crackup:

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Does anyone recommend a general-purpose bucket wash soap that can do PPF, Ceramic and Vinyl washes?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Don’t rule out Koch GSF or NV Snow.
My cabinet does not look like yours, good sir. I think your car products occupy square footage similar to my dining room; maybe my living room too. I'm looking for "One Size Fits All".

My kit includes...

P&S Brake Buster for my rims and tires
CarPro Perl for my tire dressing
CarPro Reset for my soap
Stoners Invisible Glass for my windows and mirrors
The Rag Company - Platinum Pluffle Microfiber Detailing Towels for drying (1 for wet, 1 for finish)
The Rag Company - Dry Me A River for my glasswork
Microfiber Wax Applicators (the little blue ones) for my wheels/tires

That seemed to work well enough today! I believe the Perl can be used for the interior as well no?

Finally, if I don't feel lazy and like doing things twice I use McGuire's Wipe On, Wipe Off on my tires LOL

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
My cabinet does not look like yours, good sir. I think your car products occupy square footage similar to my dining room; maybe my living room too. I'm looking for "One Size Fits All".

My kit includes...

P&S Brake Buster for my rims and tires
CarPro Perl for my tire dressing
CarPro Reset for my soap
Stoners Invisible Glass for my windows and mirrors
The Rag Company - Platinum Pluffle Microfiber Detailing Towels for drying (1 for wet, 1 for finish)
The Rag Company - Dry Me A River for my glasswork
Microfiber Wax Applicators (the little blue ones) for my wheels/tires

That seemed to work well enough today! I believe the Perl can be used for the interior as well no?

Finally, if I don't feel lazy and like doing things twice I use McGuire's Wipe On, Wipe Off on my tires LOL
Nice list!

Perl can also be used on the interior, it will need to be diluted to 1:5 though, you would need a separate spray bottle for that.

For tires, I use Perl straight out of the bottle, undiluted.
Sponsored

Reactions: MCS