OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Good morning. Two things I’ve learned about GCD. Use is very sparingly and apply it to your microfiber instead of directly on the car. I use it this was, have no streaking and great results.

As per Gyeon’s website….

PRO TIP
Q²M CeramicDetailer is primarily designed to increase slickness, gloss and add hydrophobic properties.
TIP: Spray a liberate amount of product on a damp Q²M PolishWipe, rub the product on the surface and perfect the finish with a dry Q²M SoftWipe.
DURABILITY: up to 6 weeks
CONSUMPTION: 40-50ml/car
Thanks, I have had a few people suggest this to me, so I obviously had the wrong technique with this product.
Sponsored

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
This works pretty well. Autoglym “Bumper Black“ SPRAY.
Thanks. Checked it out and not available in spray for us at least thru Amazon or eBay. Only in Gel but will keep that in mind.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
When I did my 18's paint ceramic coat I also took the advice of Car Care Products guy and did all my external plastics and rubbers with Gyeon Trim. Glad that I did. It instantly gave it a deep dark shade that just appeared finished and what was treated is still going great after near on four years. I have since added a few other black ABS parts that I need to buy another bottle for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
When I did my 18's paint ceramic coat I also took the advice of Car Care Products guy and did all my external plastics and rubbers with Gyeon Trim. Glad that I did. It instantly gave it a deep dark shade that just appeared finished and what was treated is still going great after near on four years. I have since added a few other black ABS parts that I need to buy another bottle for.
I did the same with mine, using Carpro DLUX. I did not have the patience to do each and every opening in the honeycomb grill though......................even I have a limit. :giggle:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Couple of interesting deliveries while I was at work today!

This wall mounted storage board is going to be a small modification to my detailing cart, allowing room to conveniently hang brushes and towels while I'm working away, especially when polishing. It actually fits perfectly between the upper and middle shelves on the cart, a couple of screws and it will be installed soon enough, ready for some incoming detailing action.

https://refractccp.com.au/collection...rage-board-kit

IMG-6635.jpg

The next order is from Detailing Shed............

IMG-6641.jpg

Firstly, a gallon of ONR. I only ever bought a small bottle of this to see what it was like and ended up falling in love with it's versatility. I use ONR for a variety of jobs, mostly for door jamb wipe overs, interior cleaning, wiping down leather, wiping over engine bays, as a surface wipe in the garage, I have even started using it as a cleaner inside the house. Having said all that, I tend to use it least for what it was originally designed for, rinse-less washing, for which I prefer P&S Absolute.

The Gtechniq Marine product is not for me really, it will be going on the old man's boat now that it's out of the water while the flood damage is being taken care of at their property.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...97b85a3b&_ss=r

On to something I thought I would never ever buy again, a wash sponge!

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...6fd58ec6&_ss=r

IMG-6643.jpg

This is an Ultra Black Sponge from The Rag Company, a sponge specifically designed for rinse-less washing. Typically, I use the multiple towel method when rinse-less washing, a method that keeps your wash solution clear of contamination from start to finish. The UBS is a very unique sponge material with a unique gridwork of cuts designed to hold and then release dirt safely. It can be used with soap but is more geared towards rinse-less washing. I don't quite know how I will go using this sponge, I mean it feels like I'm going back to a time when I washed cars with a yellow sponge from the supermarket. In the same way I'm starting to gain an appreciation of rinse-less, perhaps this will be a similar change in tact.

And finally, two products that represent a change in philosophy for me, a ceramic coating in the form of Gyeon Pure EVO, along with a ceramic coating primer polish.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...4d8ebda5&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...832ff59b&_ss=r

I'm currently counting down the days until I take a well-deserved break, which means another of my staycation's! I have a number of projects I want to do during this time, the Jaguar being front and center. I intend to give the car a very light polish with Gyeon Primer, followed by an application of Gyeon Pure. I will expand on why I chose these products at a later date, but I'm really looking forward to this project. I also have to decontaminate and coat the old man's Wildtrack in Gyeon Can Coat, and the old Stihl 028AV chainsaw is going to get an overhaul.

Last year was a sh.tshow, capped off towards the end by the floods and final parting gifts of being diagnosed with Celiac disease and dose of Covid. Not to mention a relapse of depression in the final week of the year. I'm a walking zombie at the moment, so this holiday can't come soon enough!
I gave the P&S Absolute a try for the first time over the weekend and I was very impressed. I have a couple of the Rag Company sponges for rinseless washes and they’re fantastic. I used Adam’s Detail Spray as my drying aid. And of course, my car is covered in salt again already 😔

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I gave the P&S Absolute a try for the first time over the weekend and I was very impressed. I have a couple of the Rag Company sponges for rinseless washes and they’re fantastic. I used Adam’s Detail Spray as my drying aid. And of course, my car is covered in salt again already 😔
Try some Bead Maker as the drying aid next time you use Absolute, such an awesome combo!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This won't be all that exciting for the US members, but for Australian's, Hyde's Cerim Rust Stopper is now available at Detailing Shed -

Hydes Serum Rustopper (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-3147.jpg

This product helps prevent or minimize the rust that can sometimes develop on steel rotors after getting wet during the wash process. This rust is annoying because it is then deposited onto your freshly cleaned wheels the moment you apply the brakes, especially visible on black wheels. There are other measures to mitigate against this, but Hydes is the easiest solution.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A looooong week. A heatwave always makes for long days, I spent most of the last week with a hose in my hand keeping plants hydrated in the hot and windy conditions.

And so, another humid 38 deg C / 100 deg F day and I'm still outside on my day off, the Wildtrack needed attention ahead of a road trip later this week.

IMG-6681.jpg

This front right had to be replaced during the last month, the tire shop in their infinite wisdom decided to spray them with some silicone garbage. I did two passes with Brake Buster at 100% to clean that off, and then Brake Buster from a foam cannon to clean the goop off the wheels.

The paint pre-soaked with NV Snow, followed by a wash with Bowden's Snow Job v2 after I got goaded into trying the new formula. :lol

IMG-6677.jpg

IMG-6685.jpg

IMG-6686.jpg

IMG-6687.jpg

Like the original, Snow Job foams like a champion with thick, clingy foam. But the elephant in the room is, does the new Snow Job actually clean, a common complaint of the original? Um, well, I think so. There were a couple of spots it didn't touch that needed removal after the wash, certainly better the v1 but probably not as good as Reset, Snow, GSF............... I did however appreciate the runnier consistency, which made measuring it out much easier. Slickness was medium level. One other slight drawback was some minor reactivation during the rinse process. On the whole, it's much improved but still lacking compared to the benchmarks that are either less money or only slightly more.

I used the EGO for convivence today, only used 2 bars from the 5.0 ah battery on this big vehicle.
IMG-6696.jpg

I also got this wall storage kit mounted to my detailing cart.

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG-6699.jpg

The panel fits perfectly between the upper and middle shelves, the screw holes are even conveniently positioned. The kit comes with several of each type of attachment, including a towel or bottle rail.

IMG-6701.jpg

IMG-6702.jpg

I take a punt of many different products and tools with the idea of adapting or improving my process. Some are duds, this is one of the winners!

Speaking of duds, this has been the latest "bin cleaner" product..............

IMG-6708.jpg

DP Waterless Wash Concentrate was once sold through Waxit, which I bought way before I started experimenting with products like ONR, N-914 and Absolute. I used it once and absolutely hated it for its smeary finish. It's sat at the back of the cabinet for a long, long time. The "bin cleaner" reference means that I use dud products to clean the wheely bins with. Next product for this role, probably Stjarnagloss Sno or Auto Finesse Lather. Again, you win some, you lose some.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I got goaded into trying the new formula. :lol
Saw that. Shameful! :angel:

One other slight drawback was some minor reactivation during the rinse process. On the whole, it's much improved but still lacking compared to the benchmarks that are either less money or only slightly more.
That's interesting as they told me there's zero reactivation. You must be doing it wrong :giggle:

Interested in your thoughts on Snow Job as a pre-soak vs the others when you get to it.

Thanks mate, on behalf of team 🇦🇺 and science, for trying it out. Great to see how it compares since you're one of the very few to have recently tried all of them in the wild. I'm keen now to try Reset or GSF, will wait until the pH of NV comes down even if they think it's not an issue.

"bin cleaner"
:crackup:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Saw that. Shameful! :angel:

That's interesting as they told me there's zero reactivation. You must be doing it wrong :giggle:

Interested in your thoughts on Snow Job as a pre-soak vs the others when you get to it.

Thanks mate, on behalf of team 🇦🇺 and science, for trying it out. Great to see how it compares since you're one of the very few to have recently tried all of them in the wild. I'm keen now to try Reset or GSF, will wait until the pH of NV comes down even if they think it's not an issue.

:crackup:
Rather ironic really, I clean the bins with a product that ultimately ends up having it's empty bottle thrown into.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Rather ironic really, I clean the bins with a product that ultimately ends up having it's empty bottle thrown into.
This weeks bin cleaner, Stjarnagloss Sno......................

IMG-6797.jpg

I wanted to like this soap, it smells amazing, but I found it felt weird on the paint.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Holiday Project Two - Cleaning An Old Chainsaw

This project has also been on the cards for a while too after I was given this saw by a Neighbour recently. This saw has a somewhat emotional attachment, we once went firewood collecting with this Neighbour's husband, this saw was the workhorse and I looked at it with lustful eyes.

After he died, the saw was taken out of its locked cabinet and left hanging on a hook in the open garage. Due to a spate of crime in the street recently, I mentioned it would probably be a good idea to put the saw in a safer place. She then offered it to me, mentioning that it was not something she could ever use. Not wanting the thing stolen or given to someone who wouldn't give it a second chance like I would had me nodding instantly. Not that I needed another chainsaw, having three already including a brand-new MS 271, a refurbished 009L and a battery powered MSA 140C.

From what I can gather, this Stihl 028 AV Super was made in the late 80's, so almost as old as I am. The AV designation stands for Anti-Vibration, Super is in reference to the larger 51.5cc engine this model has over the regular 47cc 028. It has not run in many years; the fuel lines are perished and overall, it's absolutely filthy. Smells bad too.

The plan was to clean it as much as I possibly could, allowing either me or the local Stihl dealer to sort out the mechanical problems. For context, this is what I was starting with..........

IMG-6575.jpg

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I had planned this all out in advance, having a generous supply of cleaning chemicals and solvents, parts trays and drop sheets all ready to go.

IMG-6917.jpg

I also decided to try out a product I bought with no particular use in mind, Bilt Hamber Surfex.............see, there is a small link to car detailing.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...and-degreaser-apc?_pos=1&_sid=8124cc090&_ss=r

IMG-6913.jpg

Bilt Hmaber Surfex is a water based heavy duty all-purpose-cleaner and degreaser. It's extremely concentrated and can be diluted right down to 0.5% or used at 100% for heavy duty applications. In my case, I cut it at 1:1 in an old spray bottle, it's ability here was stunning, more on that later.

Despite there being 35+ years difference between my new MS 271 and this 028, it's amazing how similar they are in overall layout. These are very simple to strip down, in this case I started by removing the sprocket cover, bar and chain. The bar and chain will be replaced, but I washed them anyway.

Removal of the orange top covers, the recoil, chain brake, handle and finally the outer muffler cover followed. Each set of components had it's own tray, keeping everything organized. As each part was removed, I soaked them down with Surfex and left till later.

IMG-6921.jpg

IMG-6923.jpg

IMG-6928.jpg

The muffler is a two-piece design, the drilled outer cover was removed and cleaned with Surfex and a wire brush. Surprisingly, the removable spark arrestor screen was clean and clear.

IMG-6924.jpg

IMG-6926.jpg

This is as far as I stripped it down. I could have gone further in removing the dogs, the primary section of the muffler, the flywheel and clutch cover but felt this was enough.

IMG-6930.jpg

I then started working through each parts tray, starting with the handle which I cleaned, wiped with IPA and then touched up some of the black paint that had long worn away.

IMG-6932.jpg

Each set of components were further doused with Surfex, scrubbed with an old detailing brush and rinsed with the hose. As mentioned earlier, the Surfex worked wonders here, dissolving most of the dirt, oil and sawdust with ease. If you do stuff like this yourself, using Surfex is certainly a nicer thing to use compared to more harsh solvents.

IMG-6935.jpg

Having said that, some parts needed more persuasion with degreaser and some scraping. The recoil cover was the worst, the myriad of vent holes all caked in oil and dirt which necessitated several rounds of degreaser, agitation and rinsing to get presentable. I also needed compressed air here too.

Finally, the part I was dreading, the body of the saw.

IMG-6938.jpg

There is no other way of putting it, but this was not a pleasant job. I had oil, dirt and grease all over myself. I used compressed air to blast away as much as I could, followed by several rounds of Surfex, brushing and rinsing. I then used compressed air to blast away as much water and any remaining chunks of gunk.

Back on my fabulous work bench, the tray of my Ranger, ready for a final wipe over and reassembly. Granted, some of this will be removed again when the mechanical work starts, at least it will be more pleasant to work on being clean.

IMG-6940.jpg

Before we get to the finished result, this is how it looked in my Neighbours garage a couple of months ago...............

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

And now the results................

IMG-6944.jpg

IMG-6945.jpg

IMG-6952.jpg

IMG-6953.jpg

IMG-6954.jpg

IMG-6955.jpg

I have decided to leave the mechanical work to the local Stihl dealer. The carby will need rebuilding and the fuel system overhauled, the fuel lines crumbled as I cleaned the air box. It needs a new air cleaner as the material has broken down. I also want them to check the oiling system and will have them supply and install a new spark plug, bar and chain. The old, mangled bar cover went straight in the bin, I have a brand-new replacement waiting for it.

So, a departure from usual proceedings in here, although still along the lines of taking something and making it look better. I'm super happy with how it came up, certainly well used but a complete transformation compared to what I started with. A brand-new bar will make a big difference too.
Sponsored