OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's been a loooong week. Summer is well and truly here, along with horrible humidity. I cooked myself on Sunday with 36 degrees and high humidity after a savage storm the day before. Yesterday I got rained on as I continue to attempt to catch up after Covid. So today was all about low stress, and thankfully there was a cool change overnight.

And joy of joys, my most recent Waxit order turned up just before I started on the Ranger.

IMG-6546.jpg

Waxit's Boxing Day sale was the most aggressive of all the suppliers this year, combined with my gold membership, I got some great bargains. There are some new items in that order, some favorites and a freebie thrown in too. The Shine Supply Shift will now be my general use soap, replacing NV Snow for the meantime.

I just did not feel like getting the pressure washer out today, so it was a rinse-less for the Ranger. Got to use my new iK Multi sprayer for the first time too.

IMG-6552.jpg

IMG-6557.jpg

I love how ergonomic that sprayer is to use, from the actual holding and spraying part to the way the head screws onto the bottle.

The drying aid was today's new arrival, Shine Supply Punch It.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/shine-supply-punch-it?variant=30220354715737

IMG-6563.jpg

Punch It is a Si02 infused quick detailer. It has a similar scent to Meguiar's HCD and acts and feels like Adam's Slick & Slide. If you told me that this product was made by B&B/Adam's, then I wouldn't argue with you. Overall, I like the product, it's very easy to use and offers nice gloss and slickness.

Another new product, Auto Finesse Spritz Interior Detailer.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/auto-finesse-spritz?variant=38151412561

IMG-6568.jpg

Spritz has some very mild cleaning ability combined with UV protection and anti-static properties. It wipes on easily and leaves a matte finish.

I have some time off coming up at the end of January, I already have two detailing projects in mind, plus another that landed in my lap today............

IMG-6575.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Me too. If someone doesn't stihl it he'll stihl be at it in a few days time after which he'll hopefully post some stihls of the Stihl :wink::giggle:

(omg sorry, really sorry)

Oil on the chain guard...hmmm depending on the type of plastic and the texture it could be an interesting challenge.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I’m looking forward to seeing this one. 🤭👍
Me too. If someone doesn't stihl it he'll stihl be at it in a few days time after which he'll hopefully post some stihls of the Stihl :wink::giggle:

(omg sorry, really sorry)

Oil on the chain guard...hmmm depending on the type of plastic and the texture it could be an interesting challenge.
This is the dirtiest machine I have ever had to clean, so I will have my work cut out for me. I'm sure there will be plenty of cross over with my detailing supplies, I have some Bilt Hamber Surfex that might come in handy on this unit.

The last one I did was my old 009L, which is about 20 years old now...........

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

I went looking for parts last night, a lot of stuff is available either OE or aftermarket. I think I will just get the thing clean and let the Stihl dealer take care of the carburetor and fueling system. Ideally, I want OE parts to go back in it.

I also have a brand-new chain guard off my new MS 271 that is not being used as I got the Stihl case to go with it. That manky old one will definitely be thrown away!

I now have four chainsaws. :facepalm:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is a very informative video on what it takes to burn through paint with a machine polisher -

A couple of key takeaway points -

- With the exception of edges, you would have to be doing something very silly to burn through clearcoat with D/A polisher, and even then, you would need a heavy cutting compound and an aggressive pad.

- Be very mindful of edges or high spots, paint on these areas is thinner and the pad will naturally apply focus on that high spot.

Screenshot-52.png

- As expected, Rotary polishers can be very aggressive in the wrong hands, heat management and technique are critical.

I know a lot of people get nervous with machine polishing, in particular worrying about burning through the clear coat. Using a DA polisher is safe and effective for both professional and hobbyist use. This video shows how abusive you need to be to blow through clearcoat and paint.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
Hi @DFB5.0 ...

Hope everything is OK. Can you please refresh what product you recommended for the Honeycomb Grill in terms for coating preferable spray and leave type?

I couldn't find it as i think was in another thread.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hi @DFB5.0 ...

Hope everything is OK. Can you please refresh what product you recommended for the Honeycomb Grill in terms for coating preferable spray and leave type?

Thanks in advance.
I would clean with your usual soap, APC if necessary, then use Gyeon Wet Coat or Carpro Hydr02 on them. These are spray and rinse type products, negating the need to work in a dressing or coating to each little square.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
I would clean with your usual soap, APC if necessary, then use Gyeon Wet Coat or Carpro Hydr02 on them. These are spray and rinse type products, negating the need to work in a dressing or coating to each little square.
Excellent. Thanks for the fast response.

Will place the order right now. Appreciated.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Excellent. Thanks for the fast response.

Will place the order right now. Appreciated.
These sort of products don't have brilliant longevity, but they are so easy to use that topping them off once a month or two is not a difficult proposition.

I typically use them on wheels that I don't have ceramic coated, they permit an easy coating of the wheels without removing them.

IMG-3795.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Clearing a backlog of new products to try today, some hits, some misses.

First up, a wash of the Ranger with Auto Finesse Lather -

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/au...nt=37103163857

IMG-6595.jpg

IMG-6596.jpg

IMG-6603.jpg

Lather is a pH balanced maintenance soap and from what I can gather, is designed for bucket washing. However, it's also described as a high foaming soap, but looking at pics, I hope you can see that was not the case for me, offering little to no dwell period. The scent had a hint of citrus but was otherwise hard to place, the cleaning ability was ok and lubrication fair. Overall, not a winner..........a disappointment in fact.

The rest of the car was fairly straight forward. The tyres cleaned with Adam's Tire & Rubber, the wheels simply washed with NV Snow from a bucket, drying aid Stjarnagloss Silke.

The tires were dressed with Optimum Opti-bond. At this point, I would like to compliment the Turtle Wax Graphene Acrylic that was applied two weeks ago, it looked almost as good as it did when applied.

Interior wipe down was with another new product, Nextzett Cockpit Premium.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/n...ner-500ml.html

IMG-6605.jpg

This is a nice product, leaving a residue free finish that just looks "clean".

Another car, another new soap in the form of Angelwax Fast Foam.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...8c0899f1&_ss=r

IMG-6609.jpg

IMG-6610.jpg

IMG-6617.jpg

This is a soap I can get on board with! Stunning foam quality, long dwell period and great slickness. It just needs a scent to go with it and it would be almost perfect, the product being largely fragrance free. Overall, GSF and Reset are slicker, but this foams better and is cheaper too. A product worthy of consideration!

After a blow down, it was onto a new drying aid, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...8069006a&_ss=r

IMG-6625.jpg

Well, from the first spray, I knew this was going to be a problem. I will say, this car can be very touchy to drying aids, it was also hot and humid by the time I applied this product. However, it was a streaky, hard to work with product that I think I need more time with. I have heard conflicting stories about Gyeon Ceramic Detailer, some love it, some hate it. As it stands, I'm closer to the former.

The final product to try today was Angelwax Elixir and wow, just wow!

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...a31c57b6&_ss=r

IMG-6627.jpg

IMG-6634.jpg

Elixir is an exterior rubber, plastic and tire dressing that is water based and designed to create "a waterproof barrier and leaving the treated surface like new, with a stylish finish." The consistency is like diluted Carpro Perl and applied very wet to the tire, needing 5 - 10 minutes to dry and cure. I loved how this leveled down and made these tyres pop, juuust enough gloss but without looking tacky. Two improvements are needed; first, ditch those stupid spray heads Angelwax, they are useless. Second, this is another unscented product from the brand, a fragrance would set this product on top of my list!

Two cars cleaned today with a wide assortment of products. Some certainly disappointed, some really impressed. That's half the fun, finding the gems hidden in a sea of contenders. And proof no one brand excels across the board.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
IMG-6625.jpg

Well, from the first spray, I knew this was going to be a problem. I will say, this car can be very touchy to drying aids, it was also hot and humid by the time I applied this product. However, it was a streaky, hard to work with product that I think I need more time with. I have heard conflicting stories about Gyeon Ceramic Detailer, some love it, some hate it. As it stands, I'm closer to the former.
Good morning. Two things I’ve learned about GCD. Use is very sparingly and apply it to your microfiber instead of directly on the car. I use it this was, have no streaking and great results.

As per Gyeon’s website….

PRO TIP
Q²M CeramicDetailer is primarily designed to increase slickness, gloss and add hydrophobic properties.
TIP: Spray a liberate amount of product on a damp Q²M PolishWipe, rub the product on the surface and perfect the finish with a dry Q²M SoftWipe.
DURABILITY: up to 6 weeks
CONSUMPTION: 40-50ml/car

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Good morning. Two things I’ve learned about GCD. Use is very sparingly and apply it to your microfiber instead of directly on the car. I use it this was, have no streaking and great results.

As per Gyeon’s website….

PRO TIP
Q²M CeramicDetailer is primarily designed to increase slickness, gloss and add hydrophobic properties.
TIP: Spray a liberate amount of product on a damp Q²M PolishWipe, rub the product on the surface and perfect the finish with a dry Q²M SoftWipe.
DURABILITY: up to 6 weeks
CONSUMPTION: 40-50ml/car
With the aim of keeping my life simple I am these days restricting my detailing products to mainly Gyeon. I too find the Ceramic Detailer easy to use.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hi @DFB5.0 ...

Thanks in advance.
This works pretty well. Autoglym “Bumper Black“ SPRAY.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Couple of interesting deliveries while I was at work today!

This wall mounted storage board is going to be a small modification to my detailing cart, allowing room to conveniently hang brushes and towels while I'm working away, especially when polishing. It actually fits perfectly between the upper and middle shelves on the cart, a couple of screws and it will be installed soon enough, ready for some incoming detailing action.

https://refractccp.com.au/collection...rage-board-kit

IMG-6635.jpg

The next order is from Detailing Shed............

IMG-6641.jpg

Firstly, a gallon of ONR. I only ever bought a small bottle of this to see what it was like and ended up falling in love with it's versatility. I use ONR for a variety of jobs, mostly for door jamb wipe overs, interior cleaning, wiping down leather, wiping over engine bays, as a surface wipe in the garage, I have even started using it as a cleaner inside the house. Having said all that, I tend to use it least for what it was originally designed for, rinse-less washing, for which I prefer P&S Absolute.

The Gtechniq Marine product is not for me really, it will be going on the old man's boat now that it's out of the water while the flood damage is being taken care of at their property.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...97b85a3b&_ss=r

On to something I thought I would never ever buy again, a wash sponge!

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...6fd58ec6&_ss=r

IMG-6643.jpg

This is an Ultra Black Sponge from The Rag Company, a sponge specifically designed for rinse-less washing. Typically, I use the multiple towel method when rinse-less washing, a method that keeps your wash solution clear of contamination from start to finish. The UBS is a very unique sponge material with a unique gridwork of cuts designed to hold and then release dirt safely. It can be used with soap but is more geared towards rinse-less washing. I don't quite know how I will go using this sponge, I mean it feels like I'm going back to a time when I washed cars with a yellow sponge from the supermarket. In the same way I'm starting to gain an appreciation of rinse-less, perhaps this will be a similar change in tact.

And finally, two products that represent a change in philosophy for me, a ceramic coating in the form of Gyeon Pure EVO, along with a ceramic coating primer polish.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...4d8ebda5&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...832ff59b&_ss=r

I'm currently counting down the days until I take a well-deserved break, which means another of my staycation's! I have a number of projects I want to do during this time, the Jaguar being front and center. I intend to give the car a very light polish with Gyeon Primer, followed by an application of Gyeon Pure. I will expand on why I chose these products at a later date, but I'm really looking forward to this project. I also have to decontaminate and coat the old man's Wildtrack in Gyeon Can Coat, and the old Stihl 028AV chainsaw is going to get an overhaul.

Last year was a sh.tshow, capped off towards the end by the floods and final parting gifts of being diagnosed with Celiac disease and dose of Covid. Not to mention a relapse of depression in the final week of the year. I'm a walking zombie at the moment, so this holiday can't come soon enough!
Sponsored