Sponsored

What's a good price on a 2018 Ecoboost base (auto)?

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
Hi all,

I've recently begun my research for a 2018/2019 Ecoboost base (auto). It's quickly become apparent that it's MUCH more difficult to find a good deal on a convertible, due to what I suspect is shear inventory.

Where many of the coupes are ~$5K under MSRP, convertibles are generally ~$3K or so, but of course they start out about $5K higher.

Is this to be expected? I likely won't purchase until April/May of next year, but thought I'd start doing research now to see if I can identify dealerships that may be worth working with, because none of them in MN have inventory/deal much.

Thank you!
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I had no problem getting a very large discount on a vert, comparable if not more than a coupe.

Just keep your eyes peeled the deals will come on 19s next year. Also, expand your search radius to at least 200 miles or more. I've flown/driven back 500 to get the right deal. I can see MN Vert inventory being tight.

Consider Koons Ford and others who will ship reasonably as well.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I suggest you also look at used and even consider the 3.7 V 6 as you are looking for a base model. There maybe examples with low mileage with people garage them in the off season. The base engine models drop in value very quickly.
When I was shopping the best deal was out of state traveled from CT to VT.
But that was early with the s550 introduction before the market was stocked with used. I have around 25k of top down driving it's a great platform.

OP
OP

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
I had no problem getting a very large discount on a vert, comparable if not more than a coupe.

Just keep your eyes peeled the deals will come on 19s next year. Also, expand your search radius to at least 200 miles or more. I've flown/driven back 500 to get the right deal. I can see MN Vert inventory being tight.

Consider Koons Ford and others who will ship reasonably as well.
Thank you! I've actually expanded it to 750 so I can catch Chicago and St. Louis, yet there's still not much in comparison to coupes (no surprise) - https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...Id=28113&yrId=35797618&yrId=36362520&zc=55038

I'm surprised to see not much below $30K, and that's the advertised price. Maybe I need to better manage my expectations.

OP
OP

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
I suggest you also look at used and even consider the 3.7 V 6 as you are looking for a base model. There maybe examples with low mileage with people garage them in the off season. The base engine models drop in value very quickly.
When I was shopping the best deal was out of state traveled from CT to VT.
But that was early with the s550 introduction before the market was stocked with used. I have around 25k of top down driving it's a great platform.
I'm glad it's went well for you! I may need to look at used, but want to stick with the Ecoboost as I'm a fan. I've had a Focus ST and Fiesta ST in the past, so I'm a bit hooked at this point!

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Consider a used vert from a rental agency. They can be had for much cheaper and you can move into the premium features. Which is no small thing to my mind. Most will be in decent shape and unmodded. Just keep your eyes open and you can get quite a bargain. I bought my first Mustang Convertable this way at considerable savings and had it for fourteen wonderful years.

By the way, my 15 EB has been a blast. No regrets here. We did pay dearly for it though as there were no used options at the time.

OP
OP

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
Consider a used vert from a rental agency. They can be had for much cheaper and you can move into the premium features. Which is no small thing to my mind. Most will be in decent shape and unmodded. Just keep your eyes open and you can get quite a bargain. I bought my first Mustang Convertable this way at considerable savings and had it for fourteen wonderful years.

By the way, my 15 EB has been a blast. No regrets here. We did pay dearly for it though as there were no used options at the time.
It's certainly on the table. Would it be worth springing for a Ford CPO or extra warranty in that case? I'm used to owning new cars, or runners, nothing in-between.

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
21 EB Prem, VB, Pony Pkg, 201A, 13 RR F150 Lariat
I have a 14 V6 Prem vert (21K miles) I bought new when I retired 4 years ago. I certainly do not need to, but I've recently been looking at S550 verts. I'm in NE FL. Not many new ones in this area.
Please consider this. A new Mustang depreciates really quickly. I'm not interested in 15 > 17 mainly due to the A/C evap issues. Cars.com & autotrader show a number of Ecoboost verts in North FL, most were prior rentals. Carfax does show some used ones with an evap replacement at dealers.
Just two weeks ago a large local dealer had a 17 Eco Prem vert that was quite loaded. Original window sticker was available on the website. It show MSRP was $42K. I know that was MSRP and now selling. It was originally bought at the dealer that had it and had 10,400 miles showing. It was literally spotless in & out. I took a short test drive & liked it, but really in town & traffic was not a whole lot different than my S197 other than seats were more comfortable. This dealer had it listed at $24,300 + ttt & "fees". $42K to $24K for 11 months and 10,400 miles is a pretty big hit.

I've see quite a few 17 Premiums that were turned in rentals that are listed as CPOs in the mid to low $20. I looked at a 19 today. Eco base with 101A, spare & navigation sticker $37K dealer add $34K. Think I could live with a base as long as it had the 101A package. (don't need nav).

If you could find a rental turn in with mileage in low 20's and sold thru a Ford dealer as CPO it might be OK for you.

Check dealers in Central Florida. Bet if you were careful you could find a good used rental (not all have been trashed), and save enough to pay for a vacation to pick it up.
There are a few V6s in Central FL, but mileage shows in mid to high 30K.

Good luck. After several months of "just looking" I'm going to keep what I have.....

OP
OP

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
I have a 14 V6 Prem vert (21K miles) I bought new when I retired 4 years ago. I certainly do not need to, but I've recently been looking at S550 verts. I'm in NE FL. Not many new ones in this area.
Please consider this. A new Mustang depreciates really quickly. I'm not interested in 15 > 17 mainly due to the A/C evap issues. Cars.com & autotrader show a number of Ecoboost verts in North FL, most were prior rentals. Carfax does show some used ones with an evap replacement at dealers.
Just two weeks ago a large local dealer had a 17 Eco Prem vert that was quite loaded. Original window sticker was available on the website. It show MSRP was $42K. I know that was MSRP and now selling. It was originally bought at the dealer that had it and had 10,400 miles showing. It was literally spotless in & out. I took a short test drive & liked it, but really in town & traffic was not a whole lot different than my S197 other than seats were more comfortable. This dealer had it listed at $24,300 + ttt & "fees". $42K to $24K for 11 months and 10,400 miles is a pretty big hit.

I've see quite a few 17 Premiums that were turned in rentals that are listed as CPOs in the mid to low $20. I looked at a 19 today. Eco base with 101A, spare & navigation sticker $37K dealer add $34K. Think I could live with a base as long as it had the 101A package. (don't need nav).

If you could find a rental turn in with mileage in low 20's and sold thru a Ford dealer as CPO it might be OK for you.

Check dealers in Central Florida. Bet if you were careful you could find a good used rental (not all have been trashed), and save enough to pay for a vacation to pick it up.
There are a few V6s in Central FL, but mileage shows in mid to high 30K.

Good luck. After several months of "just looking" I'm going to keep what I have.....
Thank you!

That's incredible depreciation, and sounds like a fantastic deal. We happen to be taking a trip to FL later this month, however are not in the position to look quite yet (moreover Winter is coming very soon).

If I end up getting a fastback it seems like there's not much to be saved over new, though clearly a gently used convertible is the way to go!

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
It's certainly on the table. Would it be worth springing for a Ford CPO or extra warranty in that case? I'm used to owning new cars, or runners, nothing in-between.
I recently purchased the eight year, 75k warranty for just over $1,100 dollars. Mostly due to potential evap core failure possibilities. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
There is a place in Plymouth Wisconsin - Mike Burkart Ford .. each year they purchase a bunch of the Ford Corporate/Demo vehicles at auction. That is where I found my 2017. They were great to deal with and had a ton of selection. They should start showing up on the lots in Feb/March of next year. They must have had at least 30 for sale and are sold out typically by the end of May. If you are looking to purchase in spring I would check them out...

OP
OP

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
There is a place in Plymouth Wisconsin - Mike Burkart Ford .. each year they purchase a bunch of the Ford Corporate/Demo vehicles at auction. That is where I found my 2017. They were great to deal with and had a ton of selection. They should start showing up on the lots in Feb/March of next year. They must have had at least 30 for sale and are sold out typically by the end of May. If you are looking to purchase in spring I would check them out...
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
Im one that usually buys new but when I was looking for my ecoboost convertible last month I ended up going used after seeing the depreciation. I ended up picking up 2017 ecoboost Prem convertible(25k miles) with Nav for 21,400 plus tax/title. miles were a little on the higher side but they tend to be in my area plus it's not a dd for me.

OP
OP

howling_mad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
Im one that usually buys new but when I was looking for my ecoboost convertible last month I ended up going used after seeing the depreciation. I ended up picking up 2017 ecoboost Prem convertible(25k miles) with Nav for 21,400 plus tax/title. miles were a little on the higher side but they tend to be in my area plus it's not a dd for me.
Seems like a great deal!

What part of the country are you in? Rental/lease or private owner? CPO?
Sponsored