Sponsored

What type of fuel?

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Dive a little deeper in to the fuel research before saying one fuel is better than the other e.g. you mention you are going to fill up at Tesco (I do all the time) and people will be like hang on why use that crap when you can use V Power!?.......I have been told by a very good source that Tesco actually uses BP tankers to deliver their fuel and have the 99 option on their forecourts instead of 97 on BP's own forecourts!!
Lots of studies have been done on the difference between fuels with this additive and this spectacular thing for your engine but when it comes down to it the fuels that are the best all round fuels are the mid range fuels 97-99 and higher for tuned engines. They keep the engine at optimum performance for what it was built for as standard and also allows the car to run freely and actually get better MPG. So when you work out that the difference between 95 and 99 is 5p yet you get better MPG the 5p (extra ÂŁ2 per tank) gets swallowed quickly covering slightly extra miles over the following tanks :)

I used to stick to 98 and above for my clio sport 172 and one time I got caught short and had to put 95 in....it run crap from the off!! I used to always use V Power where possible and then I changed to Tesco 99 and noticed the car's MPG improve over a few tanks and since then I have always used Tesco 99 and do so in the wife's cooper s as well.
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I will always use Super+ (98) here in germany . Since your car is using more fuel when using low quality fuel, it's not cheaper to use the E10 or Super (95) here and you may lose bhp without the good fuel.

but you can left out the 100 premium fuel. No car really benefits from that, there are a lot of tests that come to that conclusion

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
Remember, the car "tunes" itself over time, so if you regularly use 98 and put in 95 there will be a period of "readjustment"; same if you do one tank of 98 after lots of 95.

I think the "base fuel" is pretty much the same now whichever brand or non-brand you use, and in fact if you watch the tankers leaving the Hamble fuel distribution depot near Southampton, you will see BP, Shell, Tesco, etc all coming from the same place and tanks. Allegedly some of the majors will add "extra additives" to make their fuel "better / cleaner" but it this just marketing?

In Europe, some countries do have slightly different fuels, but in the UK it is fairly simple:
95 is standard
98 is usually "super" or "power".
Some do have higher; isn't Tesco Momentum 99?
A google search shows some references to Shell V-Power as 99, but the Shell web site doesn't actually state this, only referring to "better cleaning agents".

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Reading on the General forum that the EB loses 11.3% of it's bhp running it on regular fuel!!! That's significant. The GT is considerably less but the reduction in mpg then becomes an issue. It may work out cheaper to run the car on premium fuel.
In the US regular fuel is only AKI 87 octane, EUR95 is around AKI 91-92 octane, so the difference won't be as dramatic compared to premium fuel here.

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Tesco here in Slovakia is pure low-end cheapest fuel. They only have 95 and Diesel with questionable quality, however they are sourcing it from local dealers and probably mixing. Major brands here are OMV, Shell, Lukoil and local rafinery Slovnaft.

As I said, the majority of them offers premium as 100 instead of 98 which could get very pricy with questionable results. I'll probably test various fuels and decide. Fortunately, I can go fill to Austria as well, it's around the corner.

Sponsored

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
You mean you have choices? :D

Well I guess I do too... the gov't want me to plug it in to the electrical net ;)

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
So, we have our cars now. I tried Shell V-Power Racing 100 and OMV Maxxmotion 100. Does it make sense to buy 100 octane? Even 98 Octane fuels have usually over 100 octanes in reality.

What do you put in? Did you notice any difference? What brand do you prefer?

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Part of switching from a finnicky high pressure turbo to an American V8, for me, is getting rid of the need to run 98 octane fuel which is becoming increasingly hard to find as more and more stations are switching to ethanol and biodiesel pumps instead of 98... So I will be running bog standard 95.

bkapust

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Ruby Red
I use 98, in Poland there is no problem getting it. It is hard to find ethanol or bio-diesel... but 98 is everywhere ;)

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
When I first got my car, the dealer had filled it up with, most likely, 95 (Super). The car didn't seem to happy about it. Been filling her up using only Aral (BP) or Shell Super+ and now we are talking. Nice and smooth running and performance to die for! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I have two choices up here... 95 and diesel so I hope the ecoboost is happy with the former :D

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
When I first got my car, the dealer had filled it up with, most likely, 95 (Super). The car didn't seem to happy about it. Been filling her up using only Aral (BP) or Shell Super+ and now we are talking. Nice and smooth running and performance to die for! :thumbsup:
"dealer had filled it up" is a phrase absolutely unknown here. When you got a car fromthe dealer, either new or used, you have to carry your own tank wit gas.
Sadly I'm not joking.. they give you the car with a half liter if you are lucky.. you have to go to the first gas station you find after exiting the dealer. In fact, every dealer has a gas station nearby.. and not a cheap one!

Regarding fuel, I'm not worried of octane or power.. with so much hp I don't mind losing some power - I don't need to race or something :D - so I always fill my cars with the cheapest fuel I can find.

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
"dealer had filled it up" is a phrase absolutely unknown here. When you got a car fromthe dealer, either new or used, you have to carry your own tank wit gas.
Sadly I'm not joking.. they give you the car with a half liter if you are lucky.. you have to go to the first gas station you find after exiting the dealer. In fact, every dealer has a gas station nearby.. and not a cheap one!
In NL it's customary to get a full tank of fuel. They won't tell you what kind though :/

The problem I have been running into is that premium fuel isn't that common at the cheaper places it seems. And even if they have it, they label it with hazy names, not telling you what the actual octane number is. So I have filled it up with just EUR95 so far. (at least that's clearly labelled what it is) :shrug:

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Reading on the General forum that the EB loses 11.3% of it's bhp running it on regular fuel!!! That's significant. The GT is considerably less but the reduction in mpg then becomes an issue. It may work out cheaper to run the car on premium fuel.
USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
89 = 93
91 = 95
93 = 98

So our (UK) Regular Unleaded is 95 and Super is 97, therefore regular sits pretty much near the top end of the premium side of USA fuel. It'll be fine on regular.

Not wanting to get into the whole supermarket fuel debate, supermarket fuel wont be going anywhere near my Mustang. Granted I drive a diesel currently but the difference between something like Shell Diesel & ASDA Diesel is easily distinguishable. On ASDA is sounds like someone has thrown a bag of spanners into my engine (which normally sounds quite civilized for an oil burner) and i easily lose 4mpg (tested). All comes down to the additives & biofuel they throw in. I did read somewhere that supermarket diesel can contain up to 10% biodiesel when most manufacturers don't recommend you go over 7%.

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
89 = 93
91 = 95
93 = 98

So our (UK) Regular Unleaded is 95 and Super is 97, therefore regular sits pretty much near the top end of the premium side of USA fuel. It'll be fine on regular.
Tesco 99 for the win :lol::thumbsup: which their fuel is actually supplied by BP and has been tested to have better additives e.g. fuel cleaners etc than their own BP Ultimate 97 :headbonk:
Sponsored