Sponsored

What type of fuel?

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
While our ponies are on the way, what type of fuel will you use?

According to this table, US 93 is Euro 98 - which is available somewhere but most of the stations here in Slovakia sell either 95 or 100 octane fuel.

I was thinking about Shell V Power Nitro or OMV Maxx Motion, both are available as 95 and 100. Basic 95 here is around 1.35, 95 V Power+ is around 1.45 and V Power 100 could be up to 1.65.

What do you think about premium fuels?
Sponsored

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Premium fuels are best, especially with a tune.
Here we have OMV Maxxmotion 100 which allegedly has 100 RON and max 5% ethanol.
Nevertheless, premium fuels are better for the engine.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I'll be running my GT on standard 95 RON with maybe a tank of super (98) every few fill-ups. I don't intend to tune my engine.

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
Keep in mind that the RON (the euro scale) and MON are independent variables depending on the compounds in the fuel. So the relation EU (=RON) -> US (=(RON+MON)/2) is not unique between different types of fuel. Especially when you start mixing in ethanol.

As for what to fill up with .. I will probably fill it up with EURO95, as most 'premium' fuels sold here are not even EURO98, at most 'RON97' or so. I don't really see the benefit of paying the premium price they put on it.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I was told we would be able to mix 95 & 98. Will need to see first how it performs on 95 & 98 separately. In my current BMW I sure feel the difference between these 2.

Sponsored

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
98, want to have the power we deserve, all day long...
'Coyote' radar reporter activated !

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
98 or higher only. Why buy a sports car with over 400bhp and skimp on fuel?!
That's a fair enough comment if you live in Germany and have access to the Autobahns, or if you intend to use on the track, however for road use in the UK the question should really just be "why buy a sports car with over 400bhp?"

Personally I've wanted this car my whole adult life however it'll never be driven to anywhere near its capability so it matters not to me that I might be losing out on a few bhp by using standard grade fuel. What it does mean is that I'll be able to afford to drive it more miles.

If money is no object however then yes I agree, give it the best of everything :thumbsup:

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
That's a fair enough comment if you live in Germany and have access to the Autobahns, or if you intend to use on the track, however for road use in the UK the question should really just be "why buy a sports car with over 400bhp?"

Personally I've wanted this car my whole adult life however it'll never be driven to anywhere near its capability so it matters not to me that I might be losing out on a few bhp by using standard grade fuel. What it does mean is that I'll be able to afford to drive it more miles.

If money is no object however then yes I agree, give it the best of everything :thumbsup:
I do agree. But even if I still lived in the UK (I did for over 15 years, although I am actually Swedish) I would probably still feed this beauty with the best only....but as you say, the difference probably won't be that noticable from day-to-day driving. :)

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
The best is very relative. Same fuel differs from country to country. There was a case here where a Cayenne filled up petrol and didn't make it to the exit. The dilution was waaaaay to high and it ruined the engine.
They also claim 98-100 ron, but it may aswell be 95 or a mix between.. You can never know :(

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Reading on the General forum that the EB loses 11.3% of it's bhp running it on regular fuel!!! That's significant. The GT is considerably less but the reduction in mpg then becomes an issue. It may work out cheaper to run the car on premium fuel.

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Reading on the General forum that the EB loses 11.3% of it's bhp running it on regular fuel!!! That's significant. The GT is considerably less but the reduction in mpg then becomes an issue. It may work out cheaper to run the car on premium fuel.
Ouch, that's a lot. Will need to test it for sure. Still not sure whether to go with 98 or 100, the second one seems more available here.

OP
OP
R3v

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Another question - what do you think about 95 Nitro +? It's still 95 but with premium additives. Still worse then regular 98/100?

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
As the car (along with most other new ones) is constantly "tuning" itself and checking for anti-knock, then it certainly won't harm even the EB to run on Euro standard 95. That is still better than the US standard!

As to whether there will be a significant BHP drop on 95 compared to 98 on the EB, I think that will be very hard to detect, given so many variables are involved.

i can't see the point of mixing 95 and 98 tank fills, as it will take some time for the ECU to "adjust" - even if it needs to. Any knocking at all and it will just pull back the ignition a little bit - that's how this is all designed to work.

if you intend to track it, or drive regularly at 130+mph on the autobahn, 98 might be a good choice but I reckon 95 will be fine for 95% of us...

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
This ^^. If indeed there are knock sensors. I'm assuming there is, not got into the weeds of the Coyote's knock ability, but it will be 97 (Sainsbury, BP I think) minimum for me.

My preferred option is V power or Tesco Ultimate (99 RON).

And before we get into the 'I wouldn't use supermarket fuel' argument, for the most part, they are high volume users, no cruddy sediment that may be in a rural, low volume, filled up once in a blue moon forecourt. If you ever get the chance to watch fuel tankers fill up at Stanlow or Grangemouth, you'll see the 'Branded' tankers fill up from the same tanks as the supermarket tankers.

In a supermarket with premium grades, you'll find them much cheaper than independent garages' 95 RON. Definitely cheaper than diesel!!

A 95RON fill up now and again will not affect you in any way noticeable.

Just thought I'd say...
Sponsored