OP
OP
Vert

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Specific to whipple, I noticed reading theough their install manual strict guidance and caution with regard to opening up the grill on 18+ cars. I exchanged a couple messages and it has to do with concerns on creating turbulent air which can impact the signal. With the airbox inlet where it is they want to be sure air is pulled indirectly. Obviously there are folks out there with turbo inlets scooping air at the bumper but those are designed as 100% throttle for a short period. I understand their concern to be drivability and consistency for the average joe.

i have not done testing on this myself but i can understand turbulent air at the maf is undesirable. Curious if anyone has seen this concern in real life.
Interesting, thanks for sharing and I'm going to ask that question to the place that will be doing my tuning.
Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Interesting, thanks for sharing and I'm going to ask that question to the place that will be doing my tuning.
No such problems with the Kenne Bell. The filter lives under the fender where the horns are :D

OP
OP
Vert

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Specific to whipple, I noticed reading theough their install manual strict guidance and caution with regard to opening up the grill on 18+ cars. I exchanged a couple messages and it has to do with concerns on creating turbulent air which can impact the signal. With the airbox inlet where it is they want to be sure air is pulled indirectly. Obviously there are folks out there with turbo inlets scooping air at the bumper but those are designed as 100% throttle for a short period. I understand their concern to be drivability and consistency for the average joe.

i have not done testing on this myself but i can understand turbulent air at the maf is undesirable. Curious if anyone has seen this concern in real life.
I glanced through the manual and I didn't see the warning. Whereabouts is it in the manual?

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I glanced through the manual and I didn't see the warning. Whereabouts is it in the manual?
It may have to do with the version of the manual. I emailed whipple and asked for a copy 3 months ago when I made the purchase so I could make sure I was prepared for the arrival. It is dated 10/28/20.

Page 5 is entirely dedicated with two images on vehicle mods specific to the front facia potentially causing airflow issues with the MAF. I emailed them and asked if this was only an issue on the 2018+ since it is explicit in the text and seemed strange in the the 2015-2017 manual to make mention of an issue in 2018+. Their response was that in their testing the 2018's are most sensitive but all years should keep this in mind. They are not saying that an open grill cannot be used, just that if you do have an open grille you should block off any direct forced air from hitting the air filter while at speed as it "could" lead to drivability issues.

fascia.JPG

OP
OP
Vert

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
That's weird since I have the manual for 2018+ and it doesn't mention that anywhere in the manual. I will still probably run some different grilles and I might block the drivers side portion off. Once I figure out my tuning, I'll talk to them about it to get their feedback.
Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That is weird. Maybe they goofed and added it to the wrong manual. It was strange to find mention of 2018 in a 15-17 manual and your finding of it missing just supports the fact it may be in the wrong place. I will shoot them a message too.

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I love whipple support. Emailed them and got a response immediately. They confirmed the issue is for all s550’s. It is a typo in the 15-17manual in that it should not say 18+ and should say 15+.

They also sent the latest manual for the 18 and it now includes this warning. Send a request to their support team and they will email it.