Sponsored

What exactly do I need to do to my PCV?

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
Hey all,

Gearing up for an exciting weekend of mods. Custom exhaust, downpipe, CP-E intercooler and Tune+ custom tune. After my install of everything im anticipating having the smoking exhaust issue due to the downpipe being catless along with the custom exhaust. I'm a bit confused on the proper way to take care of the issue as there seems to be a few options.

Should I gut the stock PCV? Get the updated unit from a ford dealer instead of gutting the stock unit? I have a mishimoto catch can, will I need a boomba check valve? Anything else im missing?

Just looking for exact advice on the best way to take care of the smoking problem.

Thank you all for any help you can provide
Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You should get the updated unit from a ford dealer instead of gutting the stock unit.

OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
You should get the updated unit from a ford dealer instead of gutting the stock unit.

And what about the check valve?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
You do not need a check valve unless you gut the PCV with the mishimoto catch can.
Why would you only need it for a gutted one? Doesn't the updated one from ford effectively do the same thing as gutting it? Or am I missing something? Why is the check valve necessary for one and not the other?

Sponsored

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
Why would you only need it for a gutted one? Doesn't the updated one from ford effectively do the same thing as gutting it? Or am I missing something? Why is the check valve necessary for one and not the other?
Because PCV includes the check valve and that is what people is gutting. Check valves DO NOT completely eliminate bck flow and the old one was especially bad thus people gutted and put higher quality check valve in line. New one seems like people are doing away fine wo gutting it but i dont know much further as I have no first hand experience with gutting PCV as I dont smoke currently.

OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
Because PCV includes the check valve and that is what people is gutting. Check valves DO NOT completely eliminate bck flow and the old one was especially bad thus people gutted and put higher quality check valve in line. New one seems like people are doing away fine wo gutting it but i dont know much further as I have no first hand experience with gutting PCV as I dont smoke currently.
So if I understand correctly, people are "doing fine" with the new ones but a gutted one and a high quality in-line check valve would be the better option of the two?

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Does your car smoke? If no, don't do anything to the stock check valve...

OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
It does already smoke a little ever since I uploaded an OTS Cobb tune to my AP. That's why i'm anticipating that it will only get worse.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
What he said...if you aren't experiencing smoke then just throw a catch can on there if you want and enjoy you car. Don't fall into the trap a lot of people do and do unnecessary things to your car to try and prevent an issue you don't have.

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It does already smoke a little ever since I uploaded an OTS Cobb tune to my AP. That's why i'm anticipating that it will only get worse.
Take it in and get the updated unit.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I called my Ford Service dept. and talked to a rep about the PCV update because I have the old PCV part. He said unless you experience smoke at idle you do not have a PCV issue. According to him there have only been 2 Eco's that needed the update due to smoke at their shop so it does not appear to be a widespread problem. If you have smoke at idle bring it to Ford service and maybe they will update via TSB.
Sponsored

Last edited: