Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
:threadjacked:
Ohhh...so now we have determined this is what causes oil pumps to break..:doh:
Lol right? Freakn aliens man. ;)
Ford engineers say its the crank damper. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53571
I am prolly wrong, but still suspect cold heavy oil contributes since ALL the broke gears seem to be within first couple minutes coming from a cold start. Maybe the cold oil has less damping effect on crank. Dunno..

I never found any OPG failures on S550 that had CHT above 200F for at least 30 min CONTINUOUS prior to failure.
Seen any posted up like that?
Any broken OPG w ATI damper stock size or 20% over?
Again, have not seen that either.

Total silly speculation but.. It could be that anyone smart enough to run an ATI knows not to run 5w-50 at the strip with a cold motor? Awww who the hell knows..

Seriously though: I was told I could run stock gears all out with an ATI no BS. So I pulled the TSS that I installed with a second stock pump housing and put the factory STOCK OPG and original housing back in and ran a weekend of testing w STOCK OPG on a road course (MSR Houston) to the point of tire abuse. I was pretty sure it would be ok considering the advice and that if the pump went I probably would not have to worry much.
8x20min sessions, 5W-20, 3.625 pulley Whipple... Totally thugged some MPSS.
Gears did not break.
Found light grooves in housing on tear down and a little metal.
Maybe crank snout deflection?
The OPG floats on the crank to accommodate crank deflection somewhat, but not sure if it could be maxed out.

After that, put a new GT350 housing and pan on with the TSS gears.
Sorry Op, can move this post to the "Ford's word" thread.
IMG_2094 small.jpg
IMG_2094 detail.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I got the hook up from Beef on the Paxton and self installed. Easily have spent an additional 5k on supporting mods. Still need half shafts.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
:threadjacked:

Lol right? Freakn aliens man. ;)
Ford engineers say its the crank damper. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53571
I am prolly wrong, but still suspect cold heavy oil contributes since ALL the broke gears seem to be within first couple minutes coming from a cold start. Maybe the cold oil has less damping effect on crank. Dunno..

I never found any OPG failures on S550 that had CHT above 200F for at least 30 min CONTINUOUS prior to failure.
Seen any posted up like that?
Any broken OPG w ATI damper stock size or 20% over?
Again, have not seen that either.

Total silly speculation but.. It could be that anyone smart enough to run an ATI knows not to run 5w-50 at the strip with a cold motor? Awww who the hell knows..

Seriously though: I was told I could run stock gears all out with an ATI no BS. So I pulled the TSS that I installed with a second stock pump housing and put the factory STOCK OPG and original housing back in and ran a weekend of testing w STOCK OPG on a road course (MSR Houston) to the point of tire abuse. I was pretty sure it would be ok considering the advice and that if the pump went I probably would not have to worry much.
8x20min sessions, 5W-20, 3.625 pulley Whipple... Totally thugged some MPSS.
Gears did not break.
Found light grooves in housing on tear down and a little metal.
Maybe crank snout deflection?
The OPG floats on the crank to accommodate crank deflection somewhat, but not sure if it could be maxed out.

After that, put a new GT350 housing and pan on with the TSS gears.
Sorry Op, can move this post to the "Ford's word" thread.
So your oil pump gears didn't break in one weekend so you think you found the cure-all? Seriously..

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So most people now that I lost my motor last summer to OPG failure with an MMR damper. I was ever not racing this car, but that afternoon hammered through the gears and near 6k in 4th gonzo.

I've recently heard from Whipple that from more recent testing they found that aftermarket dampers change the and lower harmonics and cause too much stress on the (stock) gears, and was told that was likely the cause of my failure. I was told that with stock gears one should not just upgrade the damper alone. If you want to run an aftermarket balancer then change to billet OPG and timing gears. I know this goes against earlier thinking that aftermarket dampers reduce harmonics and protect against failures on stock gears.

Also there is an oil thread where a new member who claims he's been testing oils for Ford for years now and he says higher viscosity oil cause more stress on our engines and OPG's. I know this is a can of worms, but again this is a forum where shit goes round and round.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So your oil pump gears didn't break in one weekend so you think you found the cure-all? Seriously..
Hell no! Not sure how you got that.
Sample size was 1. Found metal. Pictures of grooves cut in housing.
This may have NOTHING to do with broken gears.
Just sharing info.

Changing OPG takes a little time so most people would not do this. There is risk with how many times you forge crank dampers back on snout each reassembly. I was already pulling front cover to inspect TG and chains; pump isnt that much more work at that point. Some would say I'm an idiot who risked a motor even trying this. Just posting up what I did, images and thoughts.

Sponsored

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
So most people now that I lost my motor last summer to OPG failure with an MMR damper. I was ever not racing this car, but that afternoon hammered through the gears and near 6k in 4th gonzo.

I've recently heard from Whipple that from more recent testing they found that aftermarket dampers change the and lower harmonics and cause too much stress on the (stock) gears, and was told that was likely the cause of my failure. I was told that with stock gears one should not just upgrade the damper alone. If you want to run an aftermarket balancer then change to billet OPG and timing gears. I know this goes against earlier thinking that aftermarket dampers reduce harmonics and protect against failures on stock gears.

Also there is an oil thread where a new member who claims he's been testing oils for Ford for years now and he says higher viscosity oil cause more stress on our engines and OPG's. I know this is a can of worms, but again this is a forum where shit goes round and round.
whats old is new again.

MMR OPG/TG and stock balancer. running mobil 1 5w-20.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
MMR OPG/TG and stock balancer. running mobil 1 5w-20.
My exact same set upon OPG/TG - install cost was 700... I did not have a the right tools to get the job done myself. The only thing I haven't done myself on the car.

I run the same lube and swap every 3k...I NEVER go to boost until I am mid green on the oil temp gauge.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
My exact same set upon OPG/TG - install cost was 700... I did not have a the right tools to get the job done myself. The only thing I haven't done myself on the car.

I run the same lube and swap every 3k...I NEVER go to boost until I am mid green on the oil temp gauge.
lmao im 6k since last change and sometimes you gotta racecar before its fully warmed up. but i really do try to not do it until everything is up to temp.

YOLO

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
lmao im 6k since last change and sometimes you gotta racecar before its fully warmed up. but i really do try to not do it until everything is up to temp.

YOLO
Yeah fucken racecar always gets the best of me:lol:

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White

I also have the MMR blancer, because YOU told me it was a very good product. You bastard!! hahaha Although, I do have the OPG's and Sprocket done as well. Hopefully that combo works out. My car also doesn't leave the driveway until the oil is in the "normal" temp range.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I also have the MMR blancer, because YOU told me it was a very good product. You bastard!! hahaha Although, I do have the OPG's and Sprocket done as well. Hopefully that combo works out. My car also doesn't leave the driveway until the oil is in the "normal" temp range.
Yeah I think I turned everything upside down with my gear failure thread. Whoops...sorry for spinning the shit boys and y'all falling for it:lol:

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
$7200 for Stage 2 Procharger D1, ID1000 injectors, VMS BAP, NGK plugs, Lund tune, OPG and crank gear. Did all the work in my driveway.

Car runs like shit but that's another story. Not the Prochargers fault.

I'm hoping for 640/510 when the tune gets sorted. Then I'll go with Sai Li fuel system for $800 and go E85 which should get me well over 700whp.
Sponsored