Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Christ mine was built 2 weeks after this.
Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
2 big issues with the early builds,oil cooler failure for RHD mustangs and AC evaporator core leak.
I reckon they were still putting in dodgy parts after it was known.I was very first batch & escaped with the oil cooler but had my dash pulled out with heater/AC problem before i sold it.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong. I thought I was safe too with an Aug 16 build. The latest ford tsb gives a date in Feb 17.

Given the part # never changed I wonder if they are just pushing the can down the road figuring a low percentage will fail in warranty. Post warranty you will be on your own.

Robbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Wrong. I thought I was safe too with an Aug 16 build. The latest ford tsb gives a date in Feb 17.

Given the part # never changed I wonder if they are just pushing the can down the road figuring a low percentage will fail in warranty. Post warranty you will be on your own.
Given that I’ve got kooks long tubes does this mean I’m going to have a fight on my hands for warranty here?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I would take it to a GOOD dealer. You should still be in your 3 yr warranty and I doubt they will argue headers contributed to the well documented oil cooler failure. If it happened after 3 yrs it would be interesting to see what ford do. Who will be first to find out.
The tsb states that the coolant system should be flushed with a marine flushing pump and the engine should be replaced. I know many dealers have not replaced engines claiming that the oil went into the coolant and not visa versa due to oil pressure only allowing mix in one direction. Personally I would not be fobbed off with this . Get an oil sample now before you call the dealer and if they mess about tell them you will have the sample independently tested for contaminates.

Put a posting out asking all who have experienced this in the U.K. which dealer they went to and if they got a new engine before you select who to take it to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Given that I’ve got kooks long tubes does this mean I’m going to have a fight on my hands for warranty here?
If cooler failure was unheard of i'd expect them to try to blame it on your mods however they'd have a bit of a cheek to suggest it given the number of occurrences. Of course each dealer is a unique beast it appears so who knows how they'll handle it initially.

I would like to think Ford would offer some sort of goodwill post-warranty too, however we can't bank on that.

Robbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
I would take it to a GOOD dealer. You should still be in your 3 yr warranty and I doubt they will argue headers contributed to the well documented oil cooler failure. If it happened after 3 yrs it would be interesting to see what ford do. Who will be first to find out.
The tsb states that the coolant system should be flushed with a marine flushing pump and the engine should be replaced. I know many dealers have not replaced engines claiming that the oil went into the coolant and not visa versa due to oil pressure only allowing mix in one direction. Personally I would not be fobbed off with this . Get an oil sample now before you call the dealer and if they mess about tell them you will have the sample independently tested for contaminates.

Put a posting out asking all who have experienced this in the U.K. which dealer they went to and if they got a new engine before you select who to take it to.
Thanks for the good advice, just made a thread to gather it all up!

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
No probs. Make sure you take a good 100ml or so of oil from the sump into a clean sealable container ASAP.

Seeing this thread made me remember to order a Harrop cooler tomorrow.

How many miles do you have on your car out of interest?

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
17 plate 5.0 showed up at work last week, found out today it’s for same issue, new engine ordered under warranty :facepalm:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
No probs. Make sure you take a good 100ml or so of oil from the sump into a clean sealable container ASAP.

Seeing this thread made me remember to order a Harrop cooler tomorrow.

How many miles do you have on your car out of interest?
Could be tricky to get the oil sample if the car is already at the dealer.
What cooler system are you looking at? Getting more interested in this by the minute...

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Could be tricky to get the oil sample if the car is already at the dealer.
What cooler system are you looking at? Getting more interested in this by the minute...
I’ve looked at all the options and even considered doing my own out of various parts.

The one I have settled on is the Harrop one.
For me the following must apply:
The original cooler must be totally removed.
There must be no oil filter sandwich plate as there is so little room here anyway to change the filter.
There must be a thermostat.
The cooler must be mounted low down to ensure air locks during oil changes are eliminated.

I didn’t care if it was oil air or all water as long as it never mixes.

I’m not track driving and I don’t live in a desert so I don’t need a cooler with massive cooling abilities.

The Harrop one is the only one that meets all the above criteria.

dwaine dibbley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Coupe 2016
Didn’t Mick Scott from Leyland come up with a solution/kit to replace the suspect Ford parts?
I’m sure I read/saw pics somewhere.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Didn’t Mick Scott from Leyland come up with a solution/kit to replace the suspect Ford parts?
I’m sure I read/saw pics somewhere.
Believe so, and JWR do one too using the Mishimoto cooler.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Washed it! Had some nasty tree sap all over it, so needed to be done, even though rain was due.
Used a new spray wax - as a drying aid, and was very impressed. Also sealed the front windscreen with glass sealant. Other than that, it was my version of a “quick” wash - about 3 hours lol
A521996A-0B22-4A99-8C09-025A914810C3.jpeg
A9519223-5CB9-44B3-8766-5127CDF347AA.jpeg
0DCF743D-3F0E-42F6-868B-E205FE45D1C0.jpeg
Sponsored