Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL
My steeda trunk struts came in today. Just put them on work
Do a water test cause mine were causing the trunk to take water and a flood
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do a water test cause mine were causing the trunk to take water and a flood
I dont see how, the gaskets around the trunk are there to route the water. (I say this and my right side is slightly elevated compared to left side which is flush) and I dont have water run off.

I mean anythings possible, but strange assuming the gasket is in place properly and not damaged

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I dont know if anyone can help me try and troubleshoot a noise, before I start calling transmission places/dealership.-- its not the engine, its either throw out bearing, or input shaft bearing, or maybe it needs new manual gear tranny fluid. (ordered some amsoil 75w-90) already, figure thats the cheapest attempt to fix.

I have 170,000 on this clutch. Its been this way probably 70k miles. lol. what sucks is, there's a TSB for input shaft bearing, but it expired at 60k miles, and well im outside that.

1. No noise when clutch is fully pushed in with leg. 2. No real noise when clutch is out, in idle. 3. Noise gets louder, in gear, as you go higher RPM. I am hoping its a throwout bearing, as I can get new one with a clutch. I hope its not input shaft bearing. It drives perfect, other than whirring noise. I am at 170k miles. I am going to drain and refill transmission with amsoil 75w-90 gear lube to see if it quiets it down, maybe it'll lubricate the gears and make everything quiet.

I dont have any grinding, I dont have any pop out shifts, nothing, other than a whirring noise on acceleration/annoying. if it was the throw out bearing, when I eventually get a new clutch job it would be fixed, but im not interested in really tearing down tran for a rebuild if it isn't needed.

Yes, I think its the to bearing.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I think its the to bearing.
I mean, I am 170k miles on the transmission, should I just rebuild it or toss some new gear lube (already ordered it) toss it in, and rock it til it goes boom. If I could get transmission rebuilt for a fair price id be game, but I read about people charging over 3k for the stupid rebuild, my car isn't even worth that much with the miles/etc. transmission drives 100% perfect, just the noise when accelerating/driving. I was actually numb to it, til my gf/friend just pointed it out, now of course I gotta fix it now that I was addressed to it.

edit I thought you meant input shaft bearing, which I really hope its not due to above ^

Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
I mean, I am 170k miles on the transmission, should I just rebuild it or toss some new gear lube (already ordered it) toss it in, and rock it til it goes boom. If I could get transmission rebuilt for a fair price id be game, but I read about people charging over 3k for the stupid rebuild, my car isn't even worth that much with the miles/etc. transmission drives 100% perfect, just the noise when accelerating/driving. I was actually numb to it, til my gf/friend just pointed it out, now of course I gotta fix it now that I was addressed to it.

edit I thought you meant input shaft bearing, which I really hope its not due to above ^
How long do you plant to keep it? If you are doing it yourself, install new to bearing, clutch kit, gear lube and wait until it goes boom.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
How long do you plant to keep it? If you are doing it yourself, install new to bearing, clutch kit, gear lube and wait until it goes boom.
forever. honestly if engine goes kaboom, I will toss a new one in, transmission though just irks me, as it shouldn't cost more than a darn engine. this thing drives beautifully, I have full sound deadening, full sound system, it shifts beautifully, smooth, every single shift, and I use it ti pull stuff, I have like 50k worth of towing motorcycles/random stuff around.

I only pay like 20 bucks a month in insurance during winter, (winter car now) and like 5 bucks a month in summer storage. the cargo trunk is massive, I pull kayaks with my pull along trailer and I use the trunk for loading up/hauling/bulk stuff.

its worth more to me keeping/fixing. just dont want to pay for a tran rebuild and find out won't fix it.

More so, I worry the mechanics jack the transmission up, I paid for a clutch job once and the clutch job sucked ass. it felt awful. I sold the car, but they totally screwed it up and denied trying to fix it.

my clutch doesn't even slip, and I get 34-35mpg on 87 octane. its a joy of a utility vehicle. but if it is a TOB, it would be repaired when I eventually get a clutch job. (all the dealerships are quoting me 2400 bucks for a damn clutch in this car) so im trying to go to 250k before I do it. I do want OEM parts etc for the clutch job, as its lasted this long and feels great. can't see myself risking an aftermarket clutch job kit and not liking it. (I got the car in June of 2012)

are transmissions hard to do? ive done clutch jobs, but ive never torn apart a transmission.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Holy crap - those things would dent someone’s head after removing the wrong piece and being “Jenga’d”! :devil:
And when you're not playing Jenga, you've got a bunch of cribbing for some homemade jackstands....YMMV.
cribbing.jpg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Heres another wrench in works, I read about scion fixing the input shaft on peoples cars, (lets say this is my issue) and then like 30k-50k miles later, the noise came back. makes me not want to fix it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
And when you're not playing Jenga, you've got a bunch of cribbing for some homemade jackstands....YMMV.
cribbing.jpg
When that slips it’s going to look like it copying the latest Porsche strut top fashion ... :shock:

WD :like:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
found this post researching my transmission, on a scion forum. if you guys hear the video. im assuming its the rear input shaft bearing, as it does sound like a damn supercharger whine. Lol. but it drives perfect, nothing out of the ordinary.
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 3.57.48 PM.png

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
I dont see how, the gaskets around the trunk are there to route the water. (I say this and my right side is slightly elevated compared to left side which is flush) and I dont have water run off.

I mean anythings possible, but strange assuming the gasket is in place properly and not damaged
the dealer fixed it...

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)

Do a water test with a garden hose just in case??

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do a water test with a garden hose just in case??
I go through car washes once a week lol. have never had a drop of water in the trunk, it rolls down beside the gaskets off the trunk or wherever it goes.
Sponsored