Sponsored

What did you do to your residence today?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Day Three Progress -

Another chilly start and frozen fingers, starting where we left off yesterday.

We were notified this morning out secondary supplier won't be delivering for another two weeks, so the decision was made to put everything out that needed to be in stock rather than hold off certain lines till next week. This is somewhat frustrating as it means a clunkier roll out of stock and means some pre-orders can't be filled and, most importantly, paid for.

Finishing up with the nursery stock, watering them in generously to remove any air pockets and settling the sand so that we can go through and top up where needed to ensure the roots are all covered.

IMG-3194.jpg

Work then focused on putting the surplus stock into a holding bay. Luckily, we use up left over potting mix for this part, much lighter to shovel.

IMG-3197.jpg

IMG-3199.jpg

IMG-3201.jpg

This surplus is used to replenish the nursery stock if needed, but most importantly, ensures we have enough trees left to pot up in August which allows us to sell advanced trees all year-round.

During all of this, pre-orders are pulled and buried close to the shop.

IMG-3204.jpg

A clean loading dock, no more trees and all of the mud hosed away.

IMG-3205.jpg

The sun setting on a very busy three days. The area surrounding the beds is raked and cleaned up after all of the work and price signs added.

IMG-3209.jpg

IMG-3206.jpg

IMG-3208.jpg

IMG-3214.jpg

I'd like to say I have earnt my weekend but both myself and a colleague who did a lot of the work are having to man the fort for the weekend trade, no rest for these two ducks. Thankfully, my knee held in there but I'm exhausted. 😴
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
They can be had for much cheaper than potted plants, but the downfall is they don’t have a nice root system in a pot that’s established, so even though they may be a 5ft tree, it might take an additional 2 years to catch up with a potted tree the same size.
I'd heard this also. My mind is made up, potted Golden Ash it is.

@DFB5.0 is your nursery stocking hybrid Camellias? Saw them for the first time here recently and was very interested as the construction of a large carport has provided a perfect spot that the existing japonicas and sasanquas seem to like equally

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I'd heard this also. My mind is made up, potted Golden Ash it is.

@DFB5.0 is your nursery stocking hybrid Camellias? Saw them for the first time here recently and was very interested as the construction of a large carport has provided a perfect spot that the existing japonicas and sasanquas seem to like equally
There are two main types of Camellias, Japonica and Sasanqua. In addition to those, there are also Hybrids and assortment of other varieties such as Reticulata's but those are rarely propagated.

In Australia, the vast majority of Camellias are of the Sasanqua and Japonica variety.

Sasanqua flower in Autumn and early Winter and are more versatile in that they can grow in full sun to full shade. Their flowers are smaller but there are more of them -

Camellia Sasanquas - Camellias R Us

Japonicas flower from mid Winter and best suited to shaded positions, morning sun at the most. The flowers are larger as is the foliage. Japonicas are my favorite Camellias.

Camellia Japonicas - Camellias R Us

Hybrids tend to expand on follow the Japonica stream -

Camellia Hybrids - Camellias R Us

Camellias are my favorite plants, they are just so beautiful and really lift a Winter landscape. My Grandmother had a garden full of them, so I am always reminded of her when Camellias start to flower. I followed in her footsteps, she was a nurseryman too, and fostered my passion from an early age before I made it my career.

A couple of verities that make me so happy are -

Yuletide
Tinsie
Betty Ridley
Bob Hope
Emperor of Russia Variegated (LOVE this one)
Lady Loch
Margaret Davis (LOVE this one)
The Czar
Hiryu
Plantation Pink
Setsugeka.

Margaret Davis -

IMG_6643.jpg

Tinsie -

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Variegated Emperor of Russia -

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Setsugeka -

IMG_2647.jpg

Hiryu -

hir102.jpg

Plantation Pink -

pp101.jpg

Yuletide -

IMG_3022.jpg

Great Eastern -

IMG-0664.jpg

Emperor of Russia -

IMG-0239.jpg

IMG-6941.jpg

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Our condo was built with no stairs from the deck down to ground. Older units had them, and the only one that was built with them in our group of 4 was one neighbor who bought while it was being built and asked for them - ours was the model so was all built when we bought.

Just got our first estimate for someone to add the steps down - not a difficult task, remove part of the railing and add a post, then about 3 steps. My wife asked them to add a wood deck at ground level for the grill and smoker. I know that wood prices have gone up but $4,500!!!!! was the estimate, not including stain!!!

Looks like I will do it myself instead.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Our condo was built with no stairs from the deck down to ground. Older units had them, and the only one that was built with them in our group of 4 was one neighbor who bought while it was being built and asked for them - ours was the model so was all built when we bought.

Just got our first estimate for someone to add the steps down - not a difficult task, remove part of the railing and add a post, then about 3 steps. My wife asked them to add a wood deck at ground level for the grill and smoker. I know that wood prices have gone up but $4,500!!!!! was the estimate, not including stain!!!

Looks like I will do it myself instead.
All these guys are busy so you are going to see prices like this. Get more estimates. It’s the labor and not necessarily the lumber cost. If you do it yourself make sure the major components are ground contact lumber if you are in a rainy area.

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
All these guys are busy so you are going to see prices like this. Get more estimates. It’s the labor and not necessarily the lumber cost. If you do it yourself make sure the major components are ground contact lumber if you are in a rainy area.
That's basically what I told my wife, supply and demand type thing -- more demand for the services than they can supply so the companies are hitting with big estimates on small jobs like ours rather than simply saying, "we're not interested". Similar to what my first law partner and I would do for a case we really didn't want to take on -- quote a big non-refundable retainer for us to take the matter.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
^exactly. I just paid $6,000 for a fence that was worth $3,000. Hey, I needed a fence to replace the shitty one around my exposed Koi pond. It’s viewed by my whole neighborhood and if it hurt someone I would be sol. So, I paid the going rate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Added a little finishing touch to the display this morning........

IMG-3224.jpg

This will hopefully show customers how to properly stake a brand new tree.

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Our condo was built about 1.5 years ago and we get a lot of dust from the HVAC from the construction. We have the duct cleaning crew here today.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
This will hopefully show customers how to properly stake a brand new tree.
@DFB5.0 I've often wondered about the reason for staking. Is it to straighten the tree initially or just keep it straight to create a growth habit? How long do you recommend keeping it staked? I was told once not to stake after the tree gets foliage unless absolutely necessary as it prevents the tree from moving in the wind and strengthening the trunk.

does this count?

6949F0CC-DDAB-436C-8857-69BB13C4C9D8.jpeg

😬😬😬
Why, of course it does! Nice example of a newly planted Dyno Tree. If kept healthy and fed often the Dyno Tree can pollinate a car with horsepower through it's wheels.

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Nice place. You'll get over that tad of jealousy as soon as the first rent payment arrives :like:
Lol, yep - very true! This one doesn’t seem nearly as painful as our first rental, which was our old home, where our kids spent multiple years in. Profit is double our mortgage, the plan was to put it all towards the principal and pay off in a few years. We’ll see - might take advantage of the 4% rate for while if things stay above 6%. Need to meet with the financial guy.
Sponsored