Sponsored

What did you do to your residence today?

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about ordering one from https://www.showallegiance.com/
I had to retire my old one. We have an American Legion Post in town to properly retire it.
The new one is 3x5 with white ash pole. There are bearings at each end to keep it spinning freely. The quality is great and cost is up there but its all made in the USA. So far I'm impressed.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great on your house. kudos

I dont want to be a Debbie downer, but people was stealing any flag other than blm in my area.. there's a guy down road who is a really old veteran, he literally does everything all day to his yard, you drive by and there's every form of life in there, bunnies, birds, squirrels, bird baths etc. beautiful flag pole and the flag, people knocked over his bird washes and took his flag. he was really upset.

fortunately his replacement hasn't been tampered with, but he was one of the victims I know personally.really sad people can't keep hands off other stuff.

I just repaired my downstairs blind, (its just a basement window blind) but my cat seemed to help herself. since I leave it closed all the time, dont see a point to do anything other than patch it. if need be, I will replace it one day. works.

she means well though. probably thought it was a fun swatting toy. I forgive her

tempImageZRTUk7.png

tempImageux9x2o.png

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great on your house. kudos

I dont want to be a Debbie downer, but people was stealing any flag other than blm in my area.. there's a guy down road who is a really old veteran, he literally does everything all day to his yard, you drive by and there's every form of life in there, bunnies, birds, squirrels, bird baths etc. beautiful flag pole and the flag, people knocked over his bird washes and took his flag. he was really upset.

fortunately his replacement hasn't been tampered with, but he was one of the victims I know personally.really sad people can't keep hands off other stuff.

I just repaired my downstairs blind, (its just a basement window blind) but my cat seemed to help herself. since I leave it closed all the time, dont see a point to do anything other than patch it. if need be, I will replace it one day. works.

she means well though. probably thought it was a fun swatting toy. I forgive her

tempImageZRTUk7.png

tempImageux9x2o.png
Thanks Donald. I don’t know why people can’t just leave other peoples stuff alone. hopefully no one messes with it.
we have same blind issue with our dog Lola 😁 she sits on window seat in one bedroom and watches over her domain 😁
if we don’t raise the blinds she will stick her snout between the slats. 🤣

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Up we go!

…at this rate, we may be able to move in by December 😂

C17F99C8-6E28-4413-9ABE-36DD40FC3C6F.jpeg
Is the styrofoam a mold for pouring concrete walls? looks like Legos! Build a styrofoam house, pour in the concrete, leave the styrofoam for insulation.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
^ probably the only home that was built to code. Everyone else took the obligatory contractor short cut.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Is the styrofoam a mold for pouring concrete walls? looks like Legos! Build a styrofoam house, pour in the concrete, leave the styrofoam for insulation.
exactly…we built a walkout basement with it 20 years ago, and we said if we ever build again it will be a full ICF house.

that basement was consistently 10-20 degrees warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer with zero heat or a/c.

and ICF is a known storm shelter, with the right rebar schedule…2.5 inches of foam on the inside, plus 6 inches of concrete, plus another 2.5 foam outside is almost a one foot thick wall 😉

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
exactly…we built a walkout basement with it 20 years ago, and we said if we ever build again it will be a full ICF house.

that basement was consistently 10-20 degrees warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer with zero heat or a/c.

and ICF is a known storm shelter, with the right rebar schedule…2.5 inches of foam on the inside, plus 6 inches of concrete, plus another 2.5 foam outside is almost a one foot thick wall 😉
That's really cool. I've been researching all the different ways houses are built these days, and I find the the piered beam slab very interesting. I guess the soil is really soft down there in Texas and can make building pretty tricky.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A couple of plants flowering in my garden at the moment.

First, Camellia 'Yuletide'.

IMG-3022.jpg

Camellia's are my favorite plants, they really lift a winter garden. My Grandmother had her garden filled with stunning Camellia's, as such I have a emotional connection with them.

Next, Magnolia 'Little Gem'. These typically flower during the warmer months of the year but they do spot flower during winter as well.

IMG-3023.jpg

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Hung up a couple of hanging plants and planted 4 flowers by the front stairs.
HOLY CRAP these things got expensive. Well,....we all know why. INFLATION. Not good at all. What was spent on these flowers alone, used to do both the front yard AND back yard. Not any more.
What a shame.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hung up a couple of hanging plants and planted 4 flowers by the front stairs.
HOLY CRAP these things got expensive. Well,....we all know why. INFLATION. Not good at all. What was spent on these flowers alone, used to do both the front yard AND back yard. Not any more.
What a shame.
As a nurseryman and plant retailer, I have watched prices creep up and up over the last 20 years. When I started, a basic shrub in a 6 inch pot cost $8 or $9.00. That same shrub in the same size pot costs at least $14 to $18 these days.

What many don't realize is how much work goes into that one plant to make it a sellable product.

In the most part, you are paying for the nurseryman's time to strike, pot, water and grow a plant to that sellable condition. He also needs to have space to grow thousands more of the same and many other plant varieties. And unlike say a packet of bolts or a bottle of car polish, a plant takes time to grow, they don't just pop out of a machine or factory. Plants can take between 4 months and up to 18 months to become a product able to be purchased at your local nursery or garden center.

In terms of costing, a wholesale grower needs to pay for -
-Labor/Staff
-Plant material to strike from
-Pot
-Potting mix/soil
-Fertilizer
-Pre-emergent weed killer
-Pest management
-Space to rent/lease/own to house the product while it grows
-Preparation and then shipping.

For a basic plant variety in a 6 inch pot, the wholesaler will sell these to a retailer at about $5 each. When you consider how much time, effort and other inputs go into to making that plant sellable, $5 is not making the nurseryman rich!

And then on the retailer side, again unlike a packet of bolts, a plant is not something thrown on the shelf and forgotten about until it passes through the till, it needs to be maintained, watered and fed...........and it costs money to pay someone like me to do that. So a plant on a bench at $14 is not making a retailer a rich man.

Just something to think about.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
As a nurseryman and plant retailer, I have watched prices creep up and up over the last 20 years. When I started, a basic shrub in a 6 inch pot cost $8 or $9.00. That same shrub in the same size pot costs at least $14 to $18 these days.

What many don't realize is how much work goes into that one plant to make it a sellable product.

In the most part, you are paying for the nurseryman's time to strike, pot, water and grow a plant to that sellable condition. He also needs to have space to grow thousands more of the same and many other plant varieties. And unlike say a packet of bolts or a bottle of car polish, a plant takes time to grow, they don't just pop out of a machine or factory. Plants can take between 4 months and up to 18 months to become a product able to be purchased at your local nursery or garden center.

In terms of costing, a wholesale grower needs to pay for -
-Labor/Staff
-Plant material to strike from
-Pot
-Potting mix/soil
-Fertilizer
-Pre-emergent weed killer
-Pest management
-Space to rent/lease/own to house the product while it grows
-Preparation and then shipping.

For a basic plant variety in a 6 inch pot, the wholesaler will sell these to a retailer at about $5 each. When you consider how much time, effort and other inputs go into to making that plant sellable, $5 is not making the nurseryman rich!

And then on the retailer side, again unlike a packet of bolts, a plant is not something thrown on the shelf and forgotten about until it passes through the till, it needs to be maintained, watered and fed...........and it costs money to pay someone like me to do that. So a plant on a bench at $14 is not making a retailer a rich man.

Just something to think about.
Oh I can imagine man. We have to pay for all those materials and labor.
I'm not complaining, just more venting. (Okay, maybe I am complaining a little bit.) lol

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Pressure washing...lots of pressure washing! (Then washed my car.)

20220529_141758.jpg

20220529_140422.jpg

20220529_142039.jpg
Sponsored