Sponsored

What did you do to your residence today?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I think ketchup is gross, but I haven't had anything but store-bought. I'd bet this is some good stuff.
I too would be willing to try. And totally agree on ketchup being gross but only having store bought.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
BBQ sauce or hot sauce or a remoulade are all far better on fries.
I get it. But French fries are gross. So, I still eat my ketchup and salt with a spoon.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OP
OP
Blithe16

Blithe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT '19 a10
No, though she did influence my career choice (Horticulture).

It was my Grandma on my fathers side that influenced the obsessive detailing tenancies. You could move an ornament on a shelf without her seeing and she would pick it and put it straight as soon as she walked in the room! :crackup:

(Sorry for the derail of the thread, family character traits is something that has always fascinated me.)
this thread is on the off-topic forum, no worries about derailment, also I've been known to derail a thread or two.. derail away. people will post on topic if they want to

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Maybe not all 'today' but 'two day':

Built 3 raised garden beds 1m x 1m x .4m (clay, dynamic lifter, gypsum, planting soil, mix)
Spread 2 metric tons of mulch
Planted:
Forest Pansy tree
5 x Photinia Robusta
2 x Variegated Russian Olive shrubs (Illeagnus Macrophyllia)
2 x Bradford Pear trees (for attracting Partridges at Xmas)
Prunus Cerasifera tree (Black Cherry Plum)
3 x Plum Gorgeous shrubs (I keep calling it Plum Crazy, duh wonder why...?)

Bring on Spring! :clap:

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Last October, I decided to gut my back garden and start again.

oct233.jpg

When I originally designed and planted the garden, I had more time to maintain it. Cottage style plants and gardens are generally pretty high maintenance. As a horticulturalist, I don't really want to be gardening on my days off. The garden had gotten away from me, I figured it would be easier to just chop it all down and start with a near blank canvas. I did keep a few key specimens including a beautiful Maple and some Camellia's.

The bulk of the material was put through a shredder to make mulch.

oct232.jpg

Blank canvas -

oct234.jpg

oct231.jpg

Work, Christmas and a hot Australian summer got in the way of the next stage. In April, I planted the garden up and modified the irrigation system to drippers. Plants were chosen with low maintenance in mind.

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9178.jpg

Another two weeks passed before a laid weed mat and mulch. At that stage, I was pressed for time so only had enough mulch to give enough coverage to hold the matting down.

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

Again, a lot stuff got in the way or took priority. Fast forward to today, and I have FINALLY finished mulching. Where I live in Australia is currently in lockdown for a Covid outbreak, giving me the time to get it done.

IMG_0402.jpg

And while I was in the groove, I decided to refresh the gravel paths.

IMG_0409.jpg

Eighteen thousand steps and a sore back later, I can now stand back and wait for things to start growing again. Once the warmth of Spring arrives, having settled over the winter, the new plants should take off and the lawn re-color.

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg
That would have been a lot of hard work, and well worth it. It looks great 🙂👍🏻

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
My yard looks like crap. I'm about to get an estimate Monday and then have to tiny front yard redone. Does it count if all I'm doing is paying a company to fix the neglect?
It’s a plus if you can afford to pay someone else to do it. Not everyone can afford to of course but those who can are crazy not to. Thats why you earn money, so you can enjoy your free time, and it’s how everyone gets to make a living. Nothing is more annoying than multi-millionaire CEO’s mowing their own lawn or washing their own windows to save a buck. That type knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Just my opinion of course 😂
I have worked in a retail plant nursery for 17 years, I often need to simplify what a customer thinks they need. More often than not, a customer will need less plants than they think they need, and less variety too. I find repetition and of few key plants, combined with a couple of feature trees or plants will give a cleaner and more unified look.

The garden edging I use is a product I sell through the nursery called Link Edge.

https://www.linkedge.com.au/range/

le3.jpg
le2.jpg
le1.jpg

This stuff is made from aluminium, the slots in the each length allow for it to bend and conform to curves. The edging is held in place with spikes, supported buy a pin guide that slots into a grove at the top. That same groove also facilitates joiner plates. All you need to install is a hammer and a hacksaw.

The main benefit of this product is that you don't need to source materials from various suppliers, nor do you need angle grinders and welders to install. For someone who is certainly not a gifted builder, even I can install this stuff.
Never heard of that. It looks excelent Thanks 👍🏻

OP
OP
Blithe16

Blithe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT '19 a10
It’s a plus if you can afford to pay someone else to do it. Not everyone can afford to of course but those who can are crazy not to. Thats why you earn money, so you can enjoy your free time, and it’s how everyone gets to make a living. Nothing is more annoying than multi-millionaire CEO’s mowing their own lawn or washing their own windows to save a buck. That type knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Just my opinion of course 😂
You make a decent point. Everyone will have something they like doing themselves of course. Turns out I do not like mowing, especially if I have to wake up at 6 am to avoid sun exposure and heat. More importantly, I'm not great at it and the property has diverse needs. ... leave it to the professionals.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Maybe not all 'today' but 'two day':

Built 3 raised garden beds 1m x 1m x .4m (clay, dynamic lifter, gypsum, planting soil, mix)
Spread 2 metric tons of mulch
Planted:
Forest Pansy tree
5 x Photinia Robusta
2 x Variegated Russian Olive shrubs (Illeagnus Macrophyllia)
2 x Bradford Pear trees (for attracting Partridges at Xmas)
Prunus Cerasifera tree (Black Cherry Plum)
3 x Plum Gorgeous shrubs (I keep calling it Plum Crazy, duh wonder why...?)

Bring on Spring! :clap:
Nice selection of plants there.

These pics of the garden I maintain for my sister. The Cercis Forest Pansies are in flower here, as are the Plum Gorgeous hedges.

IMG-7285.jpg

IMG-7286.jpg

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks @DFB5.0 the Forest Pansies and Plum Gorgeous are new in the garden here so this makes me mucho happy.

That garden is very nice indeed, many favourites there. Again, less is more.

Do you know what's between the Liriopes and the Plum Gorgeous?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks @DFB5.0 the Forest Pansies and Plum Gorgeous are new in the garden here so this makes me mucho happy.

That garden is very nice indeed, many favourites there. Again, less is more.

Do you know what's between the Liriopes and the Plum Gorgeous?
Abelia 'Kaleidoscope' is between the Liriope and Plum Gorgeous, I love the color contrast it provides. This plant changes it's colors depending on the climatic conditions.

I designed the planting scheme and sold the plants for this garden, while it is a bit over-planted (you don't argue with female siblings :wink:), it has came up great.

https://pma.com.au/kaleidoscope

jun86.jpg

Another thing to note, I have found Cercis Forest Pansy to be very prone to attack from Scale. This is an insect that attaches itself to the foliage and sucks the goodness from the plant and if left untreated, will really compromise the health of the tree. It's best treated with a thorough spray of Confidor or Conguard (Imidacloprid). I have also treated Scale on these trees via a granular version of Confidor, this is then absorbed by the plants root system and negates the need to safely spray an entire tree.

https://www.thenile.com.au/home/con...garden-insect-bug-control-spray/9319784314557
https://www.searlesgardening.com.au...-rtu/CONG1--searles-conguard-ready-to-use-1lt
https://www.richgro.com.au/products/palms-and-ferns-pests-and-diseases/bug-killa/

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Credit to you and thanks very much for the advice it's greatly appreciated.

I've tried to steer away from Confidor granules as I like to have as many 'good' insects in the garden as possible to balance the bad ones but it's an 1800m2 block with a lot of plantings so the good bugs can't keep up.

For example, Aphids. They get stuck into the Photinias, Viburnums and Pears (!) and I never realised that getting rid of the ants was important as they farm them! The way I tell if there's Aphids in a tall Pear is to tap the trunk, the ants head for the ground and can usually be seen about 15 sec later. I usually nuke Aphids with White Oil but there's close to 100m of hedge so it gets a bit tedious with a sprayer. I suspect it's time to get industrial and go the Confidor.

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Credit to you and thanks very much for the advice it's greatly appreciated. I've tried to steer away from Confidor granules as I like to have as many 'good' insects in the garden as possible to balance the bad ones but it's an 1800m2 block with a lot of plantings so the good bugs can't keep up.

For example, Aphids. They get stuck into the Photinias, Viburnums and Pears (!) and I never realised that getting rid of the ants was important as they farm them! The way I tell if there's Aphids in a tall Pear is to tap the trunk, the ants head for the ground and can usually be seen about 15 sec later. I usually nuke Aphids with White Oil but there's close to 100m of hedge so it gets a bit tedious with a sprayer. I suspect it's time to get industrial and go the Confidor.
I understand the reluctance to use Confidor. White oil can be used on Scale too, just be careful using it when a frost is expected or in extreme heat as it can cause leaf burn.
Sponsored