Sponsored

What are the stylistic differences between the upcoming 2015 5.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost?

KellisJ2003

Threads
Reaction score
So I have been obsessing over the 2015 Stang since it was unveiled those many months ago. However being a working man I look more than I read, and have noticed that there are very few differences (other than the the 5.0/GT badges) between the upcoming 5.0 and 2.3 EcoBoost, and V6 as well! Now I am sure there have to be noticeable differences, but I would love to hear what they are. Looking at previous versions was like night and day comparing the V8 to the V6, but this one not so much, unless you are checking out the badges. Thanks y'all!
Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
The main difference is the Grill on the GT/5.0 Has the "Fangs" and Smaller Honeycomb. The 6 Cylinder and Eco-Boost get the Wider Wavy Honeycomb without the Fangs. Other than that the GT/5.0 gets the Heat Extractors in the Hood and GT Badging on the Rear Deck where the V6 and Eco-Boost get the Pony on the Decklid. Also, the Front Splitter is a bit more aggressive on the GT/5.0 as well.

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Race Red
Here are some pics of the differences if you can tell. Top is Ecoboost and bottom is GT. Of course, I am sure each model will vary depending on what you add to it.
GT vs Ecoboost.jpg

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
why is the pony in top left corner facing right??
only visual difference is the 5.0/GT badge on the fender and rear?
I see that the honeycomb grill is a bit different as well.

brookdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Race Red
why is the pony in top left corner facing right??
only visual difference is the 5.0/GT badge on the fender and rear?
I see that the honeycomb grill is a bit different as well.
I apologize, I flipped the pic so the angle looked about the same as the GT pic under it. I didn't think about the pony flipping, haha.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KellisJ2003

KellisJ2003

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks guys. From these side-by-side comparisons, the differences are much more noticeable. The major difference that jumps out at me are the black "slits" in the grille, pretty much where the previous generations fog lamps were at. They all look great, I can't wait to see them in person...and drive the EcoBoost & V8 of course! I feel crazy leaning towards the 4 cylinder, but times change. I think it is very exciting Ford is bringing this option to the lineup.

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Thanks guys. From these side-by-side comparisons, the differences are much more noticeable. The major difference that jumps out at me are the black "slits" in the grille, pretty much where the previous generations fog lamps were at. They all look great, I can't wait to see them in person...and drive the EcoBoost & V8 of course! I feel crazy leaning towards the 4 cylinder, but times change. I think it is very exciting Ford is bringing this option to the lineup.
I totally agree !! I currently drive a VW GTI (2.0 Turbo) and I love the endless torque and power. With this new 2.3 EcoBoost and around 305+ horsepower and more torque it will definitely be an amazing performer. Just can't wait to take to for a test drive.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
Here are some pics of the differences if you can tell. Top is Ecoboost and bottom is GT. Of course, I am sure each model will vary depending on what you add to it.
The example you chose for the GT is not a good example of a GT to go by as it has several discrepancies from other GT's we've seen. Most notably the Fully Painted Rear Bumper and Diffuser, as well as the Halogen Headlights, and an even More Agressive Front Splitter than other GT's that have been shown.

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Gotta say, I prefer the EB grille and the aluminum wheels over the black ones, even though I want a GTPP

OP
OP
KellisJ2003

KellisJ2003

Threads
Reaction score
The example you chose for the GT is not a good example of a GT to go by as it has several discrepancies from other GT's we've seen. Most notably the Fully Painted Rear Bumper and Diffuser, as well as the Halogen Headlights, and an even More Agressive Front Splitter than other GT's that have been shown.
It gave me just what I was looking for, thank you very much brookdo. I think I also prefer the EB grille myself. It's just bizarre, I see 2010-2014 Stang V6's every day and think they just look like a rental car to me. These new ones are different, they have leveled the playing field in terms of style across the lineup. I almost feel Ford is changing the way we think about the Mustang, in that it doesn't need to be the V8 for it to be badass. So far I agree with them.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I totally agree !! I currently drive a VW GTI (2.0 Turbo) and I love the endless torque and power. With this new 2.3 EcoBoost and around 305+ horsepower and more torque it will definitely be an amazing performer. Just can't wait to take to for a test drive.
Interesting. I also have a GTI and the engine is my least favorite part of the car. I would avoid the Ecoboost primarily due to my dislike turbos based on my experience with the GTI engine. Interesting how we can experience the same thing and have such different reactions to it.

-T

J.Darcy

i didnt wanna start a new thread just for this so ill just ask it here. anyone notice that the v6 which we are finally seeing for the first time has a diff lower grill (no honeycomb) than the i4 ecoboost? nothing mindblowing but i like that Ford isnt just swapping the engines but giving them at least some visual separation in the front and back.

attachment.png

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Personally, I'd prefer there to be greater differentiation. The lower grille on the V6........could that be an active shutter one? Could improve MPG by one or two and could be important to V6 buyers??

J.Darcy

well they announced the ecoboost mustang has the active shutters (which i guess is hiding behind the wavy lower grill insert) and they didn't mention the v6 had it. my guess is they keep this exclusive to the ecoboost and give it better rated MPG as another selling point for the higher price.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I've noticed some lower trims have the amber lens turn signal while the upper trims have the clear lens/amber bulb turn signal. Didn't notice if it was mentioned, but the upper trims have some extra lighting in the headlights as well.
Sponsored