Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Bourbon. Some of my favorites:

-Old Forester 1897, 1920 (Old Forester got me started in the bourbon game)
-Elijah Craig barrel proof
-Knob Creek 12 year
-Blanton's (if I can find it)
-Henry McKenna 10 year (if I can find it)
-E.H. Taylor small batch or single barrel (again if I can find it lol)

The Knob Creek has recently become a huge favorite of mine. The 12 is really good, and I've had the 15 year twice and the 2001 L.E. 14 year which is similar to the new 15 year. Really good stuff, like I would expect Kentucky Bourbon to taste like. Another good Jim Beam product is Bookers, but not an everyday drinker.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Bourbon. Some of my favorites:

-Old Forester 1897, 1920 (Old Forester got me started in the bourbon game)
-Elijah Craig barrel proof
-Knob Creek 12 year
-Blanton's (if I can find it)
-Henry McKenna 10 year (if I can find it)
-E.H. Taylor small batch or single barrel (again if I can find it lol)

The Knob Creek has recently become a huge favorite of mine. The 12 is really good, and I've never had the 15 year twice and the 2001 L.E. 14 year which similar to the new 15 year. Really good stuff, like I would expect Kentucky Bourbon to taste like. Another good Jim Beam product is Bookers, but not an everyday drinker.
Love Taylor but can’t find it around here.

Bookers makes me shudder. The cause of one of my top 3 hangovers of all time. For those that don’t know, its in the 130 proof range.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Bookers makes me shudder. The cause of one of my top 3 hangovers of all time. For those that don’t know, its in the 130 proof range.
It's high test for sure. Usually in the 63% ABV range. The Elijah Craig barrel proof batch C919 that I had a while back - 68%. Uncut and unfiltered, it is the smoothest bourbon for its proof that I have ever encountered. It is STRONG mind you, but the flavors of caramel, chocolate, marshmellow and oak, along with some fruity accents melds so well it's ridiculous. Easily one of the best bourbons I've ever had. No water, no ice - neat. One of the most delicious bourbons imo you can come across. Flavor explosion. The B520 batch that I had was good, but nowhere near this C batch I had. Sadly they're all gone now.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I hit quite a bit of this last night.

My other latest acquisition was from Barrell, a 14 year single barrel (supposedly actually George Dickel). Its okay. Its different, has a flavor that's a bit off.

20200819_125353.jpg

20201002_183942.jpg

The Knob Creek 15 is really good. Maybe a smidge overpriced but for a 15 year aged bourbon at $100, not too bad. It gives you a nice Kentucky hug.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

Jim Beam is a good distillery, but I've noticed I get headaches pretty fast on some of their releases. I have to wonder if they're doing large cuts of the distillation, leaving lots of fusel alcohols in the cut, which is usually what gives you those epic hangovers. I definitely have to sip cautiously on many of their products.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My other latest acquisition was from Barrell, a 14 year single barrel (supposedly actually George Dickel). Its okay. Its different, has a flavor that's a bit off
If you check the pic in my first post, theres a Barrell in the middle. Agreed, definitely a different taste, on the fence about whether or not I like it.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If you check the pic in my first post, theres a Barrell in the middle. Agreed, definitely a different taste, on the fence about whether or not I like it.
That looks like one of their blends, which is mostly what they do. Congrats on the Blantons! Excellent. My brother got me a bottle of McKenna 10 yr SB BIB - looking forward to getting into that this weekend. When my brother and I did a blind test of 5 bourbons, we rated it higher than the E.H. Taylor single barrel. It was very difficult picking those two out blind. They're very similar. I was able to discern minor differences.

Those allocated bourbons like Blantons, EH Taylor and McKenna can be a little tricky to find which sucks.

I went back and forth on my Barrell bottle. I like it and dislike it. It has an odd finish that ruins it for me. But its definitely unique and complex flavors.

Last edited:

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I went into a Taco Mac and sat at the bar. The bartender came over, fairly young girl, and asked "What would you like." I replied, "One bourbon, one scotch and one beer."
She said, "Do you want top shelf?", I replied, "No... haven't you heard of George Thorogood?" She answered, "Nope, I have never heard of that brand." Then she started to rattle off the brands she had available.
DOH.......!!!!!!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I went into a Taco Mac and sat at the bar. The bartender came over, fairly young girl, and asked "What would you like." I replied, "One bourbon, one scotch and one beer."
She said, "Do you want top shelf?", I replied, "No... haven't you heard of George Thorogood?" She answered, "Nope, I have never heard of that brand." Then she started to rattle off the brands she had available.
DOH.......!!!!!!
Oh man... that is bad LOL

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)