Sponsored

Well my car almost got snatched..

Dseck63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Walked outside and my car was ditched down the street. They stopped right at the intersection and it was sitting at the light, car was in neutral with the e brake down so someone clearly got in it.

I left it in gear with the ebrake up, even walked around to get my kid out and the car never rolled. This is crazy, I just bought a faraday bag to prevent his from happening again but I'm fkn stumped right now. Didn't realize the security on these cars was this flawed.
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Was it locked when you go to it? Any signs of forced entry?

OP
OP
Dseck63

Dseck63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Was it locked when you go to it? Any signs of forced entry?
When I got to it.. Yeah I think it was, I was in a state of shock but I went for the handle and it opened. Can't remember if I heard the doors unlock though or lights flash when I got to it.

Right now I put the keys in the microwave since supposedly that helps block transmitted signals. Is this a common way these cars are stolen?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Glad you got it back. Any theory on why they ditched it?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I ask if it was locked on the slim chance just maybe you did not set the brake and put it in gear? I doubt that was the case because in my last manual, I ALWAYS left the car in R and the parking brake engaged. Maybe they got it going via some electronic means but the car shut down after a short period.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dseck63

Dseck63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Glad you got it back. Any theory on why they ditched it?
Not a clue, when I ran up to it there was a cop sitting at the intersection waiting to go up the street. He was sitting there not doing anything about it though prior to my arrival.

When I got to the car there was a guy standing on the corner kind of running in place like he was jogging or something but I don't even recall what he was wearing, he may have very well been in the car prior to my arrival.

I ask if it was locked on the slim chance just maybe you did not set the brake and put it in gear? I doubt that was the case because in my last manual, I ALWAYS left the car in R and the parking brake engaged. Maybe they got it going via some electronic means but the car shut down after a short period.
Not a chance, I remember putting it in gear. Also we live on an incline and if the car carried the momentum to make it from where I was parked to the intersection it surely would have kept going because it only gets steeper after that. I believe they couldn't get any further, and when they couldn't get the car started at the light they ditched it.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
None yet
There may be codes set regarding the incident. You should have the dealer check it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That sounds possible. since they didn't really have a key, whatever they used maybe only got them that far.

I'm going to see if I can find my old "the club" from the 90s.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
That sounds possible. since they didn't really have a key, whatever they used maybe only got them that far.

I'm going to see if I can find my old "the club" from the 90s.
I remember having "The Club", i nearly forgot about those things, you gave me a good trip down memory lane and a chuckle. :cheers:

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Walked outside and my car was ditched down the street. They stopped right at the intersection and it was sitting at the light, car was in neutral with the e brake down so someone clearly got in it.

I left it in gear with the ebrake up, even walked around to get my kid out and the car never rolled. This is crazy, I just bought a faraday bag to prevent his from happening again but I'm fkn stumped right now. Didn't realize the security on these cars was this flawed.
Moral of the story dont leave your car in gear with engine running and leave it unattended! No microwaves or faradays whatever that does anyway:headbonk:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do your neighbors have surveillance cameras?

Is there a camera at that intersection on any light poles?

Did you even interact with the Police (who you said was there where the car was found); if not, why?

Which way was the car facing when you found it - meaning IF it rolled from your location, was it still in the same direction as which you left it at your location, or was it turned around completely?

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
here,s a theory for you:
Key was close enough to start car and drive away but they stalled it at intersection and now with no key it won't start again

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
here,s a theory for you:
Key was close enough to start car and drive away but they stalled it at intersection and now with no key it won't start again
This is most likely. The car may have also shut off from getting so far from the key causing the stall.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
here,s a theory for you:
I don’t think the fob can start the car unless it’s within 2-3 feet of it. Mine starts flipping out saying “no key” if I leave it running and step outside the cabin just to grab something from the trunk. Did the OP leave his car running and unattended? That’s the only thing that makes sense here.
Sponsored