Sponsored

Weird audio problem - one channel much louder than other

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
'18 GT with Shaker. Recently and suddenly, I noticed the right channel on all speakers (rear included) was much louder than the left. About 80/20 output. I have to set the balance way left for things to sound even, but of course I then have to increase the volume dramatically. Doesn't seem to be a blown speaker.

How should I troubleshoot this without removing head unit, speakers, etc?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before doing the tone tests, I figured I’d check the wiring harness in the trunk. I found that the brown/blue wire was damaged. The others look OK. I checked the wiring diagram and some of these wires aren’t listed for the 2018. Does anyone have an idea what each one of these wires are for? as I see it, they are the following wire colors (wire/stripe):

- blue/white(grey?)
- white(grey?)/blue
- violet/white(grey?)
- brown/blue
- grey (white?)
- black/yellow

Also, there is a thicker gray “wire” that appeared to be cut but when I tried to splice it, I realized it was just plastic tubing with no wire. Anyone know what this is?
IMG_5590.jpeg
IMG_5587.jpeg

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cut the brown/blue one which was damaged, and the trunk wouldn’t open. Spliced it and works now. Doesn’t help my audio issues.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If these are the wires that go to the trunk lid, then these are only for the trunk release and rearview camera. The white tubing should prevent snapping of the wires. Snapped wires are one of the main reasons the rearview camera goes black btw.
Speaker wires are all down in the drivers footwell where the stock amplifier is located. Wiring diagram is in one of the sticky threads.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I’m a dumbass. After spending time in the trunk and the drivers footwell and finding nothing, I was about to take off the door panel when I decided to check the head unit settings. Somehow, the occupancy mode was changed to Driver instead of All Seats. :facepalm:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Well I’m a dumbass. After spending time in the trunk and the drivers footwell and finding nothing, I was about to take off the door panel when I decided to check the head unit settings. Somehow, the occupancy mode was changed to Driver instead of All Seats. :facepalm:
LOL I was just going to ask, did you check occupancy mode.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
There's a recall for that trunk harness issue.
Sponsored