Sponsored

Water underneath drivers seat

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but I have been having a couple issues with what I assume is a water leak.

Twice now I have noticed that my carpet is soaked with what I assume is water. It only seems to be directly under my drivers seat under all the wires for the seat. I originally though I had spilled something but when it happened the second time I knew for a fact it wasn't my doing. It is probably close to 20oz of water if i were to guess but regardless the carpet is soaked. I drive a 2016 Ecoboost with PP and MT, no mods. The only change I have made is a deck lid panel. I have already made an appointment with my dealer but I want to know all I can about this issue. I get nervous about mold and any damage it could cause to the car. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Took the car to the car wash to vacuum up all the water and when I got back home to and parked the car I noticed the water was back in. I did not wash the car, only used the vacuum. I am guessing it is some type of AC leak or something but this is very concerning because a bunch of wires are resting there and my power chair is starting to act up. The chair gets stuck and will keep moving without anyone pushing the button. Just trying to give you all as much information about this as I can.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Take it to the dealer. It's definitely for them to look at, assuming it's under warranty.

OP
OP

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I set up an appointment but sadly the earliest time they could get me in is Wednesday :( Hopefully they can figure it out quickly.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Took the car to the car wash to vacuum up all the water and when I got back home to and parked the car I noticed the water was back in. I did not wash the car, only used the vacuum. I am guessing it is some type of AC leak or something ...
Could be something related to the AC melting ice off the evaporator after you shut down the car. Have you been driving it in the rain by chance? If so, maybe water is getting in under the floor somehow.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I don't drive it in the rain. The car only has 7800 miles on it since I drive my truck during the winter. It has been sitting for a few months and I only take it out on the rare occasion that its a nice day. It is not held in a garage, so it has gotten plenty of snow and rain on it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't drive it in the rain. The car only has 7800 miles on it since I drive my truck during the winter. It has been sitting for a few months and I only take it out on the rare occasion that its a nice day. It is not held in a garage, so it has gotten plenty of snow and rain on it.
I was going to ask if this water under the seat appears after it rains or after you wash the car. Sounds like a leak around a window or something causing water to get in.

OP
OP

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
So my dealership called and told me that they can not find the problem. They need to keep for about a week and remove the seats, carpet, and padding inside to figure out the issue. I am not exactly thrilled about this but it is the only way I guess.

As to everyone that suggested some type of leak; the dealer has ruled that out. I was pretty sure it wasn't an issue because but honestly it could have been anything. I guess it still can. Thanks everyone so far for all the help and suggestions, I will continue to update this and Ill let you guys know how everything works out. :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As to everyone that suggested some type of leak; the dealer has ruled that out.
Water needs to come from somewhere. Only place inside the car is the AC evaporator melting off built up ice. Only other place is water from outside the car - rain, snow, car wash, etc. I'd keep an eye on that dealer if I was you. :D

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had a different car that I parked nose down on a steep sloped driveway. After rain I got wet floors. I think the rain gutter around the trunk over flows into the trunk and then into the cabin.

Just a thought.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is the “water” like a puddle on the carpet - or is the carpet just wet like dew on grass?

My thought is the heating and cooling of the exhaust under the floor pan *might* be related - yes kind of strange possibility considering no one else has reported a wet carpet under the seat and all models have exhaust flowing under the floor pans...

OP
OP

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
Is the “water” like a puddle on the carpet - or is the carpet just wet like dew on grass?

My thought is the heating and cooling of the exhaust under the floor pan *might* be related - yes kind of strange possibility considering no one else has reported a wet carpet under the seat and all models have exhaust flowing under the floor pans...

It is more like a puddle. Ill describe it the best way I can. I first noticed it bc I saw some mold forming around a plastic part under my seat when I was doing a quick vacuum for the car. I touched the carpet and it felt damp. When I actually applied some pressure to the carpet it was soaked beyond belief. As I tried to vacuum up the water it seemed as if the carpet was absorbing the water from the bottom up. As in the carpet was absorbing the water from the padding or w/e it under the carpet. Sorry I am not the most mechanically savvy so if what I am trying to explain doesn't make all that much sense you know why. My biggest concern is that the water is either leaking into the frame somehow or getting trapped there. I dont know if that is even possible but it definitely seems like a really odd issue to have. Sadly the only update the dealer has given me is that they dont know the cause of the issue and that their guy who deals with water leaks is only in on Wednesdays. I wont know anything until next week and I know that water is just going to be sitting in the car.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
It is more like a puddle. Ill describe it the best way I can. I first noticed it bc I saw some mold forming around a plastic part under my seat when I was doing a quick vacuum for the car. I touched the carpet and it felt damp. When I actually applied some pressure to the carpet it was soaked beyond belief. As I tried to vacuum up the water it seemed as if the carpet was absorbing the water from the bottom up. As in the carpet was absorbing the water from the padding or w/e it under the carpet. Sorry I am not the most mechanically savvy so if what I am trying to explain doesn't make all that much sense you know why. My biggest concern is that the water is either leaking into the frame somehow or getting trapped there. I dont know if that is even possible but it definitely seems like a really odd issue to have. Sadly the only update the dealer has given me is that they dont know the cause of the issue and that their guy who deals with water leaks is only in on Wednesdays. I wont know anything until next week and I know that water is just going to be sitting in the car.
Did they eventually find what was causing the leak? Thx

OP
OP

Peon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
The dealer called and said something about a leak in the A pillar. I can pick up the car and the invoice on Friday and Ill let yall know exactly what the dealer said was the issue. I am a little nervous that the car wont sound as quiet on the highway anymore but w/e ill be glad to have it back. Quick post from me phone

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
The dealer called and said something about a leak in the A pillar. I can pick up the car and the invoice on Friday and Ill let yall know exactly what the dealer said was the issue. I am a little nervous that the car wont sound as quiet on the highway anymore but w/e ill be glad to have it back. Quick post from me phone
Thank you, I'm looking everywhere I can to find out where the leak comes from as more and more cars seem to have the same issue lately.
Sponsored