Sponsored

Washing microfibre cloths

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
do you guys just chuck them in the washing machine and run a 40degC wash cycle no tabs no washing powder? I understand most cleaners will ruin the cloths and I suppose for the costs I could just buy new ones instead but seems an awful waste
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Personally I just throw mine in, but I know that's not best practice. I don't think it really matters too much if you are only maintaining 1 or 2 cars.

There are specific microfiber detergents you can buy which will do a better job than the standard stuff, but I can't comment as I haven't tried it yet!

When I do finally get myself organised, I'll be doing just that and I'd imagine I'll do one wash with the drying towels and the plush microfibres and then a separate wash with the dirtier towels.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I wash mine, occassionaly.

When they feel a bit sticky from waxing & polishing.
I'll soak them in a bucket of cold water & the washing detergent I use for clothes.

After a day or two soaking, I'll then squeeze them & throw them in the WM on a 30 deg wash.

Seems to be Ok.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I wash my microfibre cloths in a separate load using a dedicated microfibre detergent. They are then air dried indoor to prevent contamination, then stored in air tight containers.

IMG_7312.jpg

It's important to use a dedicated product so as to remove remnants of the detailing chemicals that normal washing detergents cannot remove. These products also have no fabric softeners or bleach and rinse clean, leaving no residues like traditional clothes washes do. A microfibre wash will also restore softness and help them to last longer.

Here are two product examples -
https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/products/chemical-guys-microfibre-wash
https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/collections/carpro/products/carpro-mfx-microfiber-detergent

The Rag Company "Rags to Riches" is also a great option if you get hold of it.

s550_from_NJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I have a separate top and bottom stacked washer and dryer specifically for my work clothes so I just throw them in that with some adams microfiber revitalizer. Pretty sure I’ve always had it set to cold since I bought it.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I gather them up and when I have enough I put a dedicated microfibre (+ sponge applicators) wash on.

40 deg C with non bio liquid. I don't use a conditioner, I substitute it with an equivalent dose of white vinegar.

I heard that conditioner can hinder absorbency and the vinegar helps to clear out any remaining soap residue.

If its a 'dirty' microfiber wash (I downgrade MF's with age for lesser duties) I have sometimes put some APC in the washtub with them.

Air dried in the house.

Stored folded in lidded boxes.

WD :like:

GTBlu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT V8
Vehicle Showcase
I do wash them and reuse them until they start looking or feeling a bit crap then use them on the wheels on the bikes and under the swinging arm.

I've just ordered abut 100 quid's worth of Autoglym cleaning product, Polar blast Snowfoam, rapid aqua wax and standard car shampoo, should keep the fleet of cars and bikes clean for a few weeks :fingerscrossed:

Reactions: dps

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I use steam + hot water, and chemical guys microfiber wash.
Then tumble dry

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
cheers guys, lots of great info. I use non bio for my clothes anyway so looks good to go for next washing cycle. I did just water but it didn't really clean them that well - note to self: do a better washing car effort first before microfibre goes near it!

Last One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I wash mine using Tide as well as Griots micro fiber cleaner in hot water and then dried on low. NO fabric softener needed. They come out great. I do wash the two types separately, under hood and wheel in one batch and car body and interior in another.

Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I have to admit, I wash mine with the rest of the laundry - or workout wear - and dry normally. I do move them down in rotation as they feel less soft - wheels, windows, etc. Clearly not the best practice :).

Deleted member 35644

I have dye & scent-free detergent set aside for the microfibers. Use the '2-rinse' cycle on warm to make sure all the detergent gets rinsed out. Dry on low.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I buy mine from Costco a giant microfiber car bag for like 15. I often throw away if they get some seriously nasty stuff on them like motorcycle chain lube or anything
Sponsored