PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Well at my 3 month 1st service last week I pointed out a sesame seed (or smaller) sized raised dag in my bonnet paintwork which looked as though a bit of metal got caught up in the painting at the factory. As well as this I had a whinge about what I considered to be thin paint in the air dams below the front indicators. Today I got a call to say that Ford are going to repaint the bonnet as well as the front bumper. They recognize that along with the painting they will be re doing the aftermarket stripes on the bonnet and bumper. Maybe I should have said that the entire car had thin paint.
Full credit to Ford Aus. in this case but I am full of trepidation that the work may not be to the same standard as the factory. I guess it may be better and more able to withstand some stone chipping. I already have one chip that I was about to apply some Dr. Colorchip to. I'll keep the bottle unopened for the time being.
What's the consensus on having this work done. I have requested the names of the shops that will be doing it so that I can check them out as best as I can.
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
G'day Peter

I hear you mate, this can be a dilemma. Getting the names of the shops is a great start. This is what I recommend:

1. Google the shops to find out anything you can, go on FB etc (you said 'shops' so I'm taking it there's more than one and you have a choice).
2. Visit them on the pretext of getting a quote to respray the front bar on a (insert any car) to gauge their operation. Might yield nothing and even if the place is a circus it doesn't mean they don't do good work, they may be busy because they're good. Or just a visit might turn you off because you overhear too many conversations about their cock ups and the staff demeanour is crap.
3. Then ring and tell them you want a repair done on an OF car and what do they think since they may be one of the first in Aust to apply this colour.
3. Ask Ford what warranty you'll get and if they will handle any issues arising on collection or down the track, or if they would just send you to the shop to sort it out. I wouldn't settle for the latter.
4. Don't settle for less than an oem finish.

You could also do this as a two step process, maybe gauge their work by letting them do the bar first as it's smaller and easier than the bonnet and imperfections in the job, until remediated, will be less obvious

Good luck!

Reactions: PKs
OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
G'day Peter

I hear you mate, this can be a dilemma. Getting the names of the shops is a great start. This is what I recommend:

1. Google the shops to find out anything you can, go on FB etc (you said 'shops' so I'm taking it there's more than one and you have a choice).
2. Visit them on the pretext of getting a quote to respray the front bar on a (insert any car) to gauge their operation. Might yield nothing and even if the place is a circus it doesn't mean they don't do good work, they may be busy because they're good. Or just a visit might turn you off because you overhear too many conversations about their cock ups and the staff demeanour is crap.
3. Then ring and tell them you want a repair done on an OF car and what do they think since they may be one of the first in Aust to apply this colour.
3. Ask Ford what warranty you'll get and if they will handle any issues arising on collection or down the track, or if they would just send you to the shop to sort it out. I wouldn't settle for the latter.
4. Don't settle for less than an oem finish.

You could also do this as a two step process, maybe gauge their work by letting them do the bar first as it's smaller and easier than the bonnet and imperfections in the job, until remediated, will be less obvious

Good luck!
Great advice GT550, thanks. I haven't got the shop names yet as the dealer is still to get back to me about this. I think one shop would be used for stripes and another for the paint work. They gave me the name of the stripes shop yesterday when they phoned me. I had bypassed them when I got mine done purely because they were not open when I first paid them a visit. I will be actively involved in the process though and will go see them again.Thanks again and I will report on my experience once done.
Sponsored