Sponsored

Wanting a Digital Speedo? Engineering Test Mode is the key!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
Since owning the Mustang I have been disappointing there has been no digital speedo and don't know if it is just me but with my seat and steering wheel positioning in the car I don't always find the speedo easiest to read when an unexpected speed camera jumps in front of you. (Not that I ever break the speed limits of course...)

Well I heard about the ET function Engineering / Test Mode and found it works on our UK / European Models!

So you can achieve this while driving:

(Picture taken by passenger not while driving)

I now pretty much use this most of the time.

To do this the car needs to be turned off.
Press and hold the OK while starting the engine at the same time.
The ET mode will then pop up.
Hit the up or down control buttons to engage this as it doesn't hang around for long. You have enabled the ET mode.
If you flick through the different settings till you get to the digital speedometer.
You will have
KM/H (For our European Friends or is good for when driving in European on a road trip)
MPH
RPM

There's also cool gauge test that you can check for yourself as well as other information.

To disable this the engine needs to be shut off and restarted then you will have your normal display back.

When actually checking the speed readings to the analog needle gauge it reads slightly lower so believe it indicates a more true speed. You will also see on the image that the cruise control is set to 30 MPH and reads 29.2 MPH so is just under.

Hope this might be of use to some of you who don't know and interested to know your thoughts when having a play with it.

If anyone knows how to remove the Eco Shift light then please let me know as that's another thing that annoys me.

Who's also turned off the hill start assist. I couldn't get on with it as I found it too slow and kept pulling away with the brakes locked on and would shoot forward when released?:eyebulge:
Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The chaps on the 'programming' thread are trying to unlock the necessary codes to get the GT350 style speedo working on the regular GT models. Whether they will be successful is anyones guess.

Otherwise, there is also the option of the N-Gauge device that sits in the centre vent pods - it can display an OBD derived digital speed read out as well.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Yea but like all the trip info
what i use is a simple free no cables phone GPS speedo app, there is one for the android which sits on top of the screen you are using and as soon as you go over the speed limit goes red and bleeps at you if you want
for me with the kph speedo it's a nice easy way to keep the speed down

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My GT350R has both digital speedo and kph mode. I'm surprised the base Mustang doesn't have the same functions.
Well they had to give you a reason to buy the 350r... right? ;)!

Might give this a run tonight; anyone know about the warranty wise effect of this? I'd assume there's no warranty implications.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Might give this a run tonight; anyone know about the warranty wise effect of this? I'd assume there's no warranty implications.
For putting it in test mode?

None.

Theres no way to tell.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
For putting it in test mode?

None.

Theres no way to tell.
Goodo; I'll give it a go, can never be too cautious, all my cars before were used so haven't had to deal with warranty... well.. not with how useless fords it :doh:.

To clarify, the second I turn my car off... i'll lose these settings?

OP
OP
Guy@NemesisUK

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
To clarify, the second I turn my car off... i'll lose these settings?
Yeah, Everything will go back to normal.

Agree it could do with being bigger. Would be good if an update became available to get the GT350 settings.

My wife has a TomTom live. I think its a great bit of kit as it has a GPS speedo and is aware of most cameras. Even with Specs / Average Speed Cameras it knows and will monitor your average speed. I can't be having two satnav's in the Mustang though.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

Agree it could do with being bigger. Would be good if an update became available to get the GT350 settings.

My wife has a TomTom live. I think its a great bit of kit as it has a GPS speedo and is aware of most cameras. Even with Specs / Average Speed Cameras it knows and will monitor your average speed. I can't be having two satnav's in the Mustang though.
All Tom Toms do that, its the same as the phone app
Also with the EM when you drop below 50 miles left on the petrol, does it tell you?

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Ah; seemed so good as just another rmenu I could flick through, but alas a bit of a faff to do it every day; has to be a way to pull it from Test mode and have it boned in, but something I really don't think I have the expertise to look at! But a good couple of settings non the less if you're tracking etc and want to measure these stats :D

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ah; seemed so good as just another rmenu I could flick through, but alas a bit of a faff to do it every day; has to be a way to pull it from Test mode and have it boned in, but something I really don't think I have the expertise to look at! But a good couple of settings non the less if you're tracking etc and want to measure these stats :D
was well psyched about this until i read you have to do it every time you start the car :(

such a simple feature :(

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
was well psyched about this until i read you have to do it every time you start the car :(

such a simple feature :(
Agreed same here, I like to flick through menu's so would have been nice. As I said above may only be good now for Track use or long distance drives etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.