Sponsored

Voiding Factory Warranty?

Vert29687

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Convertible
I recently bought a 2020 Mustang GT Convertible and wanted to start doing a few basic bolt on mods, like the resonator delete H-pipe, and an air intake w/ tune. My question, will these mods void my factory warranty? Where does Ford or the dealership draw the proverbial line before you risk voiding your factory warranty? What’s been your experience with the dealership after installing aftermarket products and then having any warranty worked performed?
Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I recently bought a 2020 Mustang GT Convertible and wanted to start doing a few basic bolt on mods, like the resonator delete H-pipe, and an air intake w/ tune. My question, will these mods void my factory warranty? Where does Ford or the dealership draw the proverbial line before you risk voiding your factory warranty? What’s been your experience with the dealership after installing aftermarket products and then having any warranty worked performed?
The resonator delete can only void the exhaust warranty. The tune might be an issue if you go to an unfriendly to mod dealership but that’s why you need to know where you go. Realistically a tune and intake shouldn’t be an issue.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
The entire question on the warranty comes down to a simple fact: Ford warranties the car that Ford built. Once you modify it you are changing it to the car that YOU built.

If Ford determines that your modification caused the failure, they can deny coverage. If your engine fails and you have tuned it, they may determine that the tune was the reason. If the lights fail then obviously the tune has nothing to do with it.

If you replace the radio with an aftermarket unit would you expect Ford to be responsible for repairs if that radio fails?

As far as Magnuson Moss, people like to say "oh but Ford has to prove my modification caused the failure". Once Ford looks at the car and says "we have determined your modification caused the failure" that is the end of their proofs. The burden shifts to you to start the lawsuit and prove that the failure was Ford's fault; Ford doesn't have to do anything until you start the lawsuit.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Here's a tip:
Buy a Ford Performance x-pipe and have it installed by a Ford dealer.

This should not void your warranty.

Buy a ford performance tune w/the stage you want. Again, have it installed by a Ford Dealer.

Or buy a ford Performance air intake system and have Ford install it.

you've got options. (or do what I do...remove the carbon trap on the existing air box for more air flow.)

CVCashmere

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
If the lights fail then obviously the tune has nothing to do with it.
Now that every single electrically operated thing in these cars runs through the computer, I'm not so sure.....lol.

The advice in this thread is good. Ford won't refuse to honor the warranty if the failure needing repair wasn't caused by the mod. Any particular dealer may take that a little further and refuse to repair things related to the mod, just because. Choose your dealer carefully or leave the car alone. Even well meaning dealers can do some pretty bone headed things on modded cars....my 16 came from a dealer with the VMP stuff already on it. Found out by pure chance the service dept did me a "favor" and put a stock tune on it before putting the car on the lot

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's easy to bring that law up just as its easy for a dealership to say they won't support your warranty claim, and then its on you to sue and fight in court. By the time its decided you'll be thousands of dollars poorer. If you win you probably will recoup that money but its much easier to research the dealership so your claim doesn't get rejected and documented badly preventing you from dealing with a lawsuit. All it takes is one dealership not understanding the mod you did and claiming it was your fault the trans went or the engine has piston slap etc. Im not saying dont mod. As you can see from my signature I modded the hell outta my 18 and its still under warranty. Just go to a good shop that won't mess your car up and make sure you know the dealership you service your car at is lax with mods like the one I go to. Roush authorized dealerships seem to be more understanding of mods.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that every single electrically operated thing in these cars runs through the computer, I'm not so sure.....lol.

The advice in this thread is good. Ford won't refuse to honor the warranty if the failure needing repair wasn't caused by the mod. Any particular dealer may take that a little further and refuse to repair things related to the mod, just because. Choose your dealer carefully or leave the car alone. Even well meaning dealers can do some pretty bone headed things on modded cars....my 16 came from a dealer with the VMP stuff already on it. Found out by pure chance the service dept did me a "favor" and put a stock tune on it before putting the car on the lot
ugh. By stock tune what exactly do you mean? I see your car has a VMP supercharger I assume based on your signature. I know off topic but now you got me interested. lol.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the end it’s dealership dependent how they handle mods. That’s the point. Regardless of what the law is. So with that being said if some one isn’t comfortable with this knowledge then they shouldn’t mod the car and saw oh well the law protects me. To that person I say good luck. Me personally, my thoughts on the topic is Just send it.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Having a 'tune' puts you on seriously rocky ground. Anything that goes wrong engine wise could be argued went wrong because of the tune over stressing the engine. Bolt ons such as exhaust are minor mods that won't really cause any issues. Things like CAIs, intercoolers etc. can improve performance and can exacerbate a engine problem.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Semp, the dealer reflashed the PCM with a fresh "from the factory" tune. As in, how the car was shipped from the assembly plant, normally aspirated and factory injectors. It had some "quirks", to say the least. Had enough sense not to stomp it too hard until I figured out what the tune was.
Sponsored